Menu

Ds got braces yesterday - need snack ideas....

Ds who turned 13 about a month ago got braces put on his upper and lower teeth yesterday. He's done pretty well - had soup for lunch and dinner yesterday. Of course, he's pretty disappointed with all list of foods on the "no-no" list. I think the hardest part is going to be snacks. No carrots, apples, nuts, popcorn etc. I may have to shred the carrots.

I have absolutely no experience with braces. DH had them when he was younger. Any survival tips would be helpful.

A funny story: Ds plays in a local fiddling group. They have a few outfits depending on the weather. One of their options is white shirt, black pants with turquoise and yellow accessories. Well, he is one of 2 boys in the group of 13 members. The girls have no problem coming up with scarves, tights etc to accessorize. They've been giving ds a hard time about finding a turquoise fedora. Sooooo, yesterday at the ortho's office he requested turquoise bands for his top teeth and yellow bands for the bottom. If he can keep up the smiling while playing violin he is all set :-) Glad he has not lost his sense of humor!!

What are some healthy snacks that your kids in braces eat?

Thanks,

VH

I had braces for 3 years and, if I recall, I never really changed my eating habits. :blushing:

I did have to cut up things that I didn't before like apples and carrots. I avoided the hard popcorn seeds. Sticky stuff like taffy of course was out, but really it didn't make that much of a difference.

My dd got her braces Monday; she is no longer sore as of 2 days ago.

My sister and I had braces when we were younger. Let's see if I can dredge up those ancient memories. ;)

No apples -- applesauce with a dash of cinnamon

No carrots -- shredded carrots

No nuts -- peanut butter crackers

No popcorn -- cornbread squares

After an orthodontic adjustment, we also ate soup, mashed potatoes, cooked sweet potatoes, pudding, jello, applesauce, and other soft foods for a day or two, until the soreness went away. Salad, steak, raw fruits and vegetables were off the menu for a bit, but not all the time. Of course, candy was always forbidden.

You could keep these on hand for snacks:

• string cheese (he could peel it, and eat it without biting it off)
  • hard-boiled eggs
  • ripe bananas
  • peeled cucumbers (these are not too hard to bite or chew)

There are ways to adapt recipes for when he has his adjustments. For example, if you are having a pork roast or a roast chicken, you could boil the roast or chicken instead, then "pull" the meat (shred it), mix with BBQ sauce, and serve it on rolls. Instead of hamburgers, you could serve sloppy joes, because the meat is minced enough to be eaten without having to bite through it. Instead of a tossed green salad, you could dice cucumbers and tomatoes, mix with lemon juice and olive oil, and serve that as a Mediterranean salad. Anything chopped or soft is very appreciated. HTH. :D

My kids love smoothies especially after getting their braces tightened. It's a great way to get rid of the over ripe bananas. My sons favorite was chocolate milk, frozen banana and peanut butter and maybe a couple of ice cubes to thicken it. Throw it all in the food processor. My daughter likes smoothies made with mixed frozen berries, frozen bananas and vanilla yogurt.

I always have Carnation instant breakfast packets on hand for adjustment days. This was recommended by our pediatrician.

Other stuff - well, I've been amazed at what can make a bracket pop off. I thing *how* a kid eats is as important as what he eats. Anything placed in a large piece directly to the back of the mouth can do it. So I just encourage small bite sizes. By eating carefully, mine have been able to keep a variety of foods in their diet.

My two oldest have both had braces. They literally did not change one darn thing about their eating habits and didn't have any problems at all. I wouldn't worry about it.....seriously. Let him eat what he wants.

Pretty much this. The only problem areas were apples (had to be sliced) and corn on the cob--anything that had to be bitten into. My ds's have had no problem with chips or popcorn, though.

My daughter eats carrots and apples on a daily basis.

When we can find them she can eat straight from the bag these teeny tiny super skinny baby carrots. Otherwise she has to cut the baby carrots into pieces.

Apples she peels (she doesn't like the peel), cores and then cuts into bite size pieces.

A little extra work but you get used to it after 2+ years.

Thank you ladies! Question: do your kids brush after every snack? Did you cut down on sweet stuff? We don't do sugary drinks, soda, junky sweets but we do enjoy cookies, icecream and chocolate in moderation in our household.

VH

Ds who turned 13 about a month ago got braces put on his upper and lower teeth yesterday. He's done pretty well - had soup for lunch and dinner yesterday. Of course, he's pretty disappointed with all list of foods on the "no-no" list. I think the hardest part is going to be snacks. No carrots, apples, nuts, popcorn etc. I may have to shred the carrots.

I have absolutely no experience with braces. DH had them when he was younger. Any survival tips would be helpful.

A funny story: Ds plays in a local fiddling group. They have a few outfits depending on the weather. One of their options is white shirt, black pants with turquoise and yellow accessories. Well, he is one of 2 boys in the group of 13 members. The girls have no problem coming up with scarves, tights etc to accessorize. They've been giving ds a hard time about finding a turquoise fedora. Sooooo, yesterday at the ortho's office he requested turquoise bands for his top teeth and yellow bands for the bottom. If he can keep up the smiling while playing violin he is all set :-) Glad he has not lost his sense of humor!!

What are some healthy snacks that your kids in braces eat?

Thanks,

VH

Thank you ladies! Question: do your kids brush after every snack? Did you cut down on sweet stuff? We don't do sugary drinks, soda, junky sweets but we do enjoy cookies, icecream and chocolate in moderation in our household.

VH

I helped him with the brushing, as he just couldn't get into the corners. He hasn't cut down on the (moderate) sweet things he eats. His braces have come off now and his teeth are fine.

Laura

I had braces for 6 years (yeah, my teeth were seriously messed up!!). I didn't change my eating habits. I ate everything on the no-no list and never had problems. Same with my dd. She has had her braces for about 3 years now. She just finished eating a bowl of popcorn:001_huh: We're rebels I guess. Sorry, I know that doesn't help!!

After he gets used to them being on, you can pretty much eat anything. You just can't bite into certain things...

Don't bite into apples, slice them up.

Carrot sticks should be fine.

Don't eat corn on the cob... eat it off the cob. :tongue_smilie:

He might want to avoid biting into sandwiches and burgers...the bread tends to get stuck in the front braces...not good if you're eating in public, heh. I would always break off bites with my fingers first and then pop them in my mouth.

I would also advise against eating Oreos in public, too, they make a mess with braces.