Menu

Please help me pick a phonics program!!!!!

kristinannie

I pretty much have everything else figured out, but I just cannot decide on this one. :confused1: I have started using Little Stories for Little Folks and I love it, but I want to use that as a supplement. Here are some that I am considering. Please let me know more about them and why you like or dislike it!

ETC, R&S, AAS (I have heard it is pretty good for phonics too), McRuffy, Memoria Press

There are WAY too many options here. I don't mind workbooks for phonics, but I want something that is thorough and is fun to use. I don't want to have daily tears, but I want him to have a strong start in reading since so much of his future depends on reading well. I don't mind if it will take longer than a year to complete either.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

We had good luck with McRuffy; it's a good blend of workbook stuff/games/readers, and the pace is not too fast and not too slow. At least for my youngest; YMMV, of course, which is the trouble with picking a phonics program...kids are all so different! But I'd definitely use McRuffy again, which I wouldn't necessarily say about any of the (many!) programs I tried with my other two.

If I were you, I would read some of the threads here on AAS and Phonics Road. I just received my AAS, materials in the mail today. They look great, and I know tons of people here really rave about them. I can't recommend them yet, but the recommendations of the folks here are what made me order them.

I love AAS. I started dd on level 1 when she was 5 (she's now 6 halfway through level 2). It is so easy to use. Letter tiles are used for hands-on learning. Flash cards are used for easy review. The lessons have a little bit of scripting - just enough IMO. I can't think of anything bad to say about it. DD has such a solid foundation in phonics and because of it reading and spelling have come quite easily for her. I use ETC for extra reinforcement, although I don't really think it's necessary - dd just enjoys it.

I also used the readers, which I highly recommend. The stories are wonderful - so much more than the silly sentences you find in some of the early readers. They are getting ready to release All About Reading. Pre-Level 1 is being released in February and I think level 1 will be out soon after that. There's an ebook sample of pre-level 1 on the All About Reading website.

I'm using Ordinary Parent's Guide with my 4 year old, but will switch to AAS when he's ready for it. My 6 year old is using AAS now and learning the phonics very well (he taught himself to read and sloped some of the phonics instruction).

All About Reading is supposed to be out soon, so that's another option.

I love AAS. There's an ebook sample of pre-level 1 on the All About Reading website.

Do you have a link? I can't find the website.

FWW, to the origional poster, I used Phonics Pathways with the suggested games till dd got good at sounding out cvc words. Then we moved to Bob books then we moved to starfall.com. I got the journal/workbook and a set of the readers (very cheap materials). Dd loves her phonics lessons because half the time she gets to be on the computer. She reads a book a week (five times) along with 6 workbook pages. Reading does not yet come easily to dd , but she feels successfull with this method and likes it. I've seen an improvement in fluency and we've moved into cvcE words along with a few digraphs and blends. Once we finish, I've thought about going back to phonics pathways, but am also considering AAS. Starfall.com is a really fun reading website to add to any program even if it isn't the spine.

I have to suggest Reading Made Easy. It was sooooo easy to use and my daughter never complained about having to do her lesson. A friend of mine who used to teach 2nd grade in ps but now homeschools said that it was the easiest way to teach a kid to read she'd ever seen. I can't say enough good about the program!!!

They are getting ready to release All About Reading. Pre-Level 1 is being released in February and I think level 1 will be out soon after that. There's an ebook sample of pre-level 1 on the All About Reading website.

It looks so cute!

Do you have a link? I can't find the website.

FWW, to the origional poster, I used Phonics Pathways with the suggested games till dd got good at sounding out cvc words. Then we moved to Bob books then we moved to starfall.com. I got the journal/workbook and a set of the readers (very cheap materials). Dd loves her phonics lessons because half the time she gets to be on the computer. She reads a book a week (five times) along with 6 workbook pages. Reading does not yet come easily to dd , but she feels successfull with this method and likes it. I've seen an improvement in fluency and we've moved into cvcE words along with a few digraphs and blends. Once we finish, I've thought about going back to phonics pathways, but am also considering AAS. Starfall.com is a really fun reading website to add to any program even if it isn't the spine.

We enjoyed starfall.com when my kids were learning too! Wish I had known about AAS back then.

Here's a link for All About Reading, hth! Merry :-)

We started with Winter Promise phonics last year, which was not a good choice for us. I ended up checking out Phonics Pathways at the library and doing a bunch of games with him from that book coupled with flash cards. He did really well and learned the basics of reading in a simple yet fun way that worked.

This year we are using MFW 1st grade. I am very pleased. I also use AAS and love that too. It seems like a really solid foundation; I feel at ease with our progress and don't have the itch to change as I usually do. lol

From your list I'd say ETC + AAS.

My suggestion would be the Phonics Road (link in my siggy and lots of blog posts, too). It takes phonics right into spelling, reading, and then head straight into grammar w/ word study at a later point. The continuity of the program is great and it supplies One source for language arts for all of you LA needs in the whole of grammar school.

I have been very successful using A Beka's phonics program. Both of my boys learned to read fairly easily and are reading well having used this program. I like it. It's colorful and easy to use!

Same here. My 1st dd is a very strong reader after using it. Now my 2nd dd is halfway through K and reading well. I just learned to simplify it a bit and not use every suggestion they give. Works well for us.

I have been very successful using A Beka's phonics program. Both of my boys learned to read fairly easily and are reading well having used this program. I like it. It's colorful and easy to use!

Same here. My 1st dd is a very strong reader after using it. Now my 2nd dd is halfway through K and reading well. I just learned to simplify it a bit and not use every suggestion they give. Works well for us.

We've used it (DS5) and are pleased with the results! My dd is 3.5, so I'm going to try out OPGTR with her. (Too young for Abeka, IMO.)

Guest RecumbentHeart

I don't have any of the ones you're considering but I do have a bunch of others. :D I still don't know how to really choose a phonics program when every teacher and child is so different and even children go through different moods and phases. I'm so over spending money on different programs only to find that in the long term, the simplest, quickest (and frequently cheapest) route has been the most effective in getting the job done. :glare:

I hope you find the perfect one for you first time! :D

While I love OPGTR and think it is great for the 6+/1st & 2nd grade crowd, in our experience it can move too quickly for some beginning readers. Both my boys have needed significantly more practice on CVC & short vowel words than is provided (IMO, it moves rather quickly into long vowels). For a natural reader, its probably brilliant. For a child who is waiting for that developmental "click" to happen, it can be a struggle.

I've used the beginning steps of Sing, Spell, Read, Write successfully with both boys (just the reading part), and I'm anxiously awaiting AAR to see if that will be a better fit for phonics for ds 2. I loved Memoria Press First Start Reading for ds 1 because it was so incremental in teaching reading, but it includes loads of writing, which can be a whole different problem for some young readers (like ds 2).

Phonics programs can be tricky - I know we tried out at least 6 (gotta love the library!) before we found a rhythm and I'm still looking for the 2nd go around, so good luck!

I have tried many programs - Abeka, AAS, ETC, OPGTTR and PP. Ultimately, I have learned that it has to be a program that you as a teacher will be consistent with.

I am currently using Saxon Phonics, and it is getting the job done. I am using it remedially for my three older boys(we tried all of the above programs). I want to make sure they don't have any 'holes', and I have just ordered the K level to run my youngest through, before using Saxon Phonics 1 in the fall. It is fairly expensive, and uses a mixture of phonics and sight words. The thing I like best is the TM, it is scripted and includes a huge amount of review EVERY DAY. It is time-consuming and thorough. I have seen huge jumps in my three oldest boys spelling and reading. I am thrilled. There are samples at christianbook.com.

Here's my reading recod so far:

first kid taught himself to read but soon after was in a K program that taught phonics. He's a terrific reader and speller.

second kid learned to read while I was trying to teach using Phonics Pathways. She also watched the leapfrog phonics movies dozens of times. She's a terrific reader, but can't spell. I quit phonics when she was a beginning reader.

third kid had visual processing delays. I started out using ETC and PP to work with her until she matured more and was able to follow with her eyes without getting lost on the page. She was making progress, but when I realized how terrible of speller her sister is, I decided to change youngest to using Phonics Road. It is very awesome and has something I had been missing - the actual teaching of the phonics instead of just a gradual progression of phonics exercises. I wasn't thrilled with having to watch videos for each lesson, but it really makes a difference in wether I am just doing phonics exercises or actually teaching phonics.