Menu

I'm trying to figure out if I am just insensitive to others or what?

I don't know if you are insensitive but you don't know a lot about allergies. If someone has a bad nut allergy just being in the same enclosed space, like a bus, can cause problems. That is why nuts are no longer served on airplanes.

I have a friend who went into shock because she ate something that was mixed in a bowl that had unbeknownst to her been used previously to mix something that contained nuts. The bowl had been washed but the nut oils remained. Her son called 911 and gave her the epi pen. He saved her life!

That is why food is labeld "this product has been manufactured in the same factory where nuts and nut products are processed"

It can be that bad!

and I suppose that was a bad thing to ask. I just wonder if my child was that allergic if I would trust their health to a bus full of kids who could forget at any bus stop and buy a snickers. I would probably take them myself. How di you police a bus of kids?

In all curiosity, what do serious allergy sufferers do in a public situations like that?

It is tough to be normal. In public normal people can't have nuts, perfume, scented lotions, or peanut butter. That sucks. But we don't have to carry around an epi-pen, an inhaler, or Benedryl. We don't have to decide if that exposure is worth a trip to the ER. We can take public transportation, sit in the cinema, go to the theater and the stadium. We can be insensitive or just deal with it and get on with life.

It's no problem that you haven't thought of it before. If you have a child with a peanut/nut allergy.... it's an automatic thing to be more sensitive.

My daughter is allergic to peanuts and nuts... and some other stuff. Mostly peanuts though. Imagine someone spraying... I don't know... some Raid around. Peanuts around my daughter are more of a threat than Raid. She can die. In a bus... it's not as scary as say... a plane. BUT, would you want me to not spray Raid? or just spray it in a separate section.

Some kids can die off the peanut butter or peanut residue from yes... those kids that were on the bus before.

I mean, no... you can't fix everything... but if it's your child... you try!!

I think the Raid example is fair... and that if you think about it that way... perhaps it's more understandable. It's a small price to pay.. so that my child can live. (without an ER visit... and her leg being jabbed with something that can make her heart go into arrest)

I get what you're saying. So many people have jumped onto the "my kid has an allergy" bandwagon that it does get annoying!! However, there really are kids who do have allergies. One of my friend's kids has to eat in a separate room if someone brings a pb&j to school. Annoying for parents to have to come up with something else - yep. But is it so much to ask to come up with another snack or lunch? Sounds like your friend was trying to be thoughtful and responsible.

What I am doubting is her safety in that situation. If she could die from touch, why couldn't it be in on the bus seat? What would stop a kid from stopping at the road ranger and buying a snickers? Not out of maliciousness, but out of being a kid.

I am not educated in the art of keeping a kid safe with allergies. I guess you can't live in a bubble and if that helps that's amazing. It would be hard to let them go....

What I am doubting is her safety in that situation. If she could die from touch, why couldn't it be in on the bus seat? What would stop a kid from stopping at the road ranger and buying a snickers? Not out of maliciousness, but out of being a kid.

I am not educated in the art of keeping a kid safe with allergies. I guess you can't live in a bubble and if that helps that's amazing. It would be hard to let them go....

This is why my children do not participate in many public things... because touching their allergens can cause anaphylactic shock. I would not ever be comfy letting my kids be in a public transportation vehicle for that very reason. I have taken extreme (and what some would see as ridiculous) measures to make sure my kids are safe in a public place. I do not trust other kids to be always careful... it's just not in your head to think that way if it's not your life on the line.

I'm not sure how I will ever survive them being away from my hyper-vigilant radar when they are older... I would love a bubble sometimes!

What I am doubting is her safety in that situation. If she could die from touch, why couldn't it be in on the bus seat? What would stop a kid from stopping at the road ranger and buying a snickers? Not out of maliciousness, but out of being a kid. The kids probably know and understand the seriousness more than the parents. My son went to pre-school with a little one who had a nut allergy. He will still double wash his hands if he has a peanut butter sandwich before church because he doesn't want to take a chance on making her sick. We know three kids who have life threatening nut allergies. The kids know what to do.

It is hard, but since I have a life-threatening latex allergy you learn to do what you have to do. I can't ever take my kids to another birthday party and if someone offers them a balloon, they have to not take it. I have turned around and left stores when I needed things, had to leave ball games because of those balloon animal guys passing out those blasted balloons to everyone...

Trust me, it is far more inconvenient trying to keep yourself safe or your kid safe than you know unless you have to deal with it, but what is the alternative? Make your kid not participate in anything? ever?

This is why my children do not participate in many public things... because touching their allergens can cause anaphylactic shock. I would not ever be comfy letting my kids be in a public transportation vehicle for that very reason. I have taken extreme (and what some would see as ridiculous) measures to make sure my kids are safe in a public place. I do not trust other kids to be always careful... it's just not in your head to think that way if it's not your life on the line.

I'm not sure how I will ever survive them being away from my hyper-vigilant radar when they are older... I would love a bubble sometimes!

:iagree:

We aren't sure about contact anaphylaxis, but the allergies ds has are really scary. His allergies are why we started considering homeschooling. I worry about college. I don't see how he can live in a dorm. He'll have to do all his own cooking and that's tough the first few years of school.

We're working on branching out. We're planning on staying in a hotel for the homeschool convention. It's still scary - and I noted where the hospital is - we'll be near it. I'm unsure how we'll handle meals, but my husband will take care of that planning.

I would hope that in high school I'd be able to let my son go on a trip like the one mentioned. He will need to learn how to take care of himself and his allergies. I'm afraid that I won't be able to. Allergies suck.

Yes, I know that what is only an inconvenience to "Normal" people can help others. Maybe this is a newer situation and kids are more aware of this than we ever were/are. I wonder what has caused these allergies in such large numbers. I never knew anyone with life threatening allergies all through my growing up years, through college and really no adults now.

So, I am truly sorry, this is new to me.

Yes, I know that what is only an inconvenience to "Normal" people can help others. Maybe this is a newer situation and kids are more aware of this than we ever were/are. I wonder what has caused these allergies in such large numbers. I never knew anyone with life threatening allergies all through my growing up years, through college and really no adults now.

So, I am truly sorry, this is new to me.

No offense taken here :) Had you said you were sending nuts anyway, I'd have taken offense!

I think the poster who said you just don't understand food allergies is correct. I know that one moms group I was active in when my son was young had a park meetup and asked that everyone refrain from eating or bringing anything with peanuts. At that time, I didn't understand the terror that can come from food allergies. I was eating peanut butter and wasn't willing not to eat it, so we didn't go to that meeting. Now I understand. :glare:

The more people who do learn about allergies - ask questions rather than dismiss our concerns - the greater my son's chance is to avoid a reaction.

There are a lot of hypotheses about why the increase in allergens. There's also work on treatment (fingers crossed!). Right now there isn't anything other than avoidance.

and I suppose that was a bad thing to ask. I just wonder if my child was that allergic if I would trust their health to a bus full of kids who could forget at any bus stop and buy a snickers. I would probably take them myself. How di you police a bus of kids?

In all curiosity, what do serious allergy sufferers do in a public situations like that?

I didn't get to read your original post before it was deleted, so keep that in mind. My son has ton of allergies and I totally agree with you that it is the parents' responsibility to keep the kids safe. I do not ask other people to change their diets because my son has allergies. Very few people who have allergies will have a systemic reaction by contact alone. That is a rare occurrence, but it seems as though many people treat their children's allergies as if that was the case.

My son has gone into anaphylactic shock and had a couple of really severe reactions but if he doesn't eat the food he is allergic to he is fine. If he was so allergic that being around the food would cause a reaction, I would not put him in that situation. Period. There is no way I would expect or trust others to take on the responsbility for his diet.

Also, a pet peeve of mine is the focus on the peanut allergy. My son is allergic to peanuts but is also just as allergic to tree nuts, fish and shellfish. I know a number of people whose children are severely allergic to dairy. Somehow we all get by without "tree nut free, fish/shellfish free, dairy-free" accommodations. I've posted before about how our field trip group will request no peanuts be brought, but then serve ice cream or plan a field trip to the ice cream store when there are a number of children with a severe dairy allergy. It just makes no sense.

Lisa

and I suppose that was a bad thing to ask. I just wonder if my child was that allergic if I would trust their health to a bus full of kids who could forget at any bus stop and buy a snickers. I would probably take them myself. How do you police a bus of kids?

I really wish I could have read your original post before it was deleted.

I have a shellfish allergy. I let all servers in restaurants know so they can clean the grill or whatever, and I feel embarrassed about it. I don't choose the buffet on "all you can eat crab leg" nights. On Christmas Eve, when MIL makes crab legs for dinner, I'm extra careful to sit at the "kid's table". In other words, I watch out for myself; I don't expect others to watch out for my unusual allergy.

However, a nut allergy includes the spores. Even post contamination, meaning airbone ones. That's scary. Scarier than my own allergy, which is scary enough, but not even on the same plane as a nut/legume allergy.

If I had a kid with nut allergies, I'd be a basket case. But, that child has to live in society, regardless. So, I would be obligated to take chances and hope that other people would understand and take precautions. I think with this next generation it will be more understood/accepted than the previous.

I used to send pea soup with my dc to weekend tournaments because they couldn't take PB&Js. Image how terrible I felt when the legume/nut connection was pointed out to me.

Yeah, I was talking to a friend whose son was a kid who needed a 'peanut free' table. That means the table has NEVER had nut products at it. That means the school brought it new. That means it gets washed with clean water and not with the (gross) water that all the other tables get cleaned with. I asked her how things were going with them and she casually says 'oh, yeah it is not just peanuts but all legumes, but I don't worry about that because how many kids are going to have legumes?

I almost yelled at her! My family are vegetarian. If I can't bring PB as my super-fast lunch sandwich I am bringing hummus. In fact, I bring hummus more than almost anything!

I don't know if you are insensitive but you don't know a lot about allergies. If someone has a bad nut allergy just being in the same enclosed space, like a bus, can cause problems. That is why nuts are no longer served on airplanes.

I have a friend who went into shock because she ate something that was mixed in a bowl that had unbeknownst to her been used previously to mix something that contained nuts. The bowl had been washed but the nut oils remained. Her son called 911 and gave her the epi pen. He saved her life!

That is why food is labeld "this product has been manufactured in the same factory where nuts and nut products are processed"

It can be that bad!

Yes they are. I fly a lot. They are everywhere. And even if they weren't, it isn't like the airlines changed the seats, carpets, etc. in the planes if they decided to start giving pretzels on a particular route. Pretzels are just cheaper than peanuts.

a

Yeah, I was talking to a friend whose son was a kid who needed a 'peanut free' table. That means the table has NEVER had nut products at it. That means the school brought it new. That means it gets washed with clean water and not with the (gross) water that all the other tables get cleaned with. I asked her how things were going with them and she casually says 'oh, yeah it is not just peanuts but all legumes, but I don't worry about that because how many kids are going to have legumes?

I almost yelled at her! My family are vegetarian. If I can't bring PB as my super-fast lunch sandwich I am bringing hummus. In fact, I bring hummus more than almost anything!

Aren't there different levels of allergies, though? Her ds might not have a life-threatening allergy.

I get what you're saying. So many people have jumped onto the "my kid has an allergy" bandwagon that it does get annoying!!
It's not exactly a ball of joy for the parents either... You know annoying things like having to make sure they don't die and all. They're not jumping on the bandwagon. More children are developing allergies in response to foods and/or environment than ever before.

Don't feel bad. Plenty of otherwise sensitive and compassionate people truly don't understand until hearing it from the perspective of a parent with a peanut-allergic kid.

The problems are numerous:

1) There are lots of kids with peanut and tree nut allergies. Separate educational facilities are not a reasonable solution.

2) Young kids with severe allergies cannot be expected to take responsibility for their safety.

3) Young kids without allergies are not capable of understanding how their actions could threaten the life of a classmate.

So when it comes to the most common and life-threatening allergens, it seems most prudent to keep them out of schools and activities.

We have no nut allergies around here, but we always use sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) instead of peanut butter. Trader Joe's sells the smooth kind for a reasonable price. The kids don't eat peanut products at home either, so I don't have to be as concerned about having peanut allergic friends over to visit.

I used to send pea soup with my dc to weekend tournaments because they couldn't take PB&Js. Image how terrible I felt when the legume/nut connection was pointed out to me.

Wait, peas & hummus can't be around someone with a peanut butter allergy?

I'd have never known that either.

We've avoided sending peanut butter products to places that asked us not to send them, but I do think that asking people not to eat them AT HOME is pushing it. This was in a note from a public school that our kids attended years ago - the concern, apparently, was kids who didn't wash their hands enough or such. I understand the concern, but unless the school was planning to purchase some more expensive groceries for me, I would be using what I could afford - and peanut butter was a cheap & common staple in our house as a protein source. Did we SEND it? No. Did we change our own private eating habits in our own private home? No.

(As it turned out, the school quit asking that.)

Someone said something about buses having chaperones? Are we talking about school buses? I've NEVER seen any chaperones on a school bus, aside from the aide on the special needs bus.

Just a year ago, we flew United and they are still handing out peanuts! I was shocked and I wrote a friend of mine with highly allergic children. She wrote United and got back a very snippy letter.

I just flew Southwest, and they served peanuts.

Someone said something about buses having chaperones? Are we talking about school buses? I've NEVER seen any chaperones on a school bus, aside from the aide on the special needs bus.

I've seen chaperones on a school bus. They sit up front with their Starbucks and ignore the kids. ;)

It's not exactly a ball of joy for the parents either... You know annoying things like having to make sure they don't die and all. They're not jumping on the bandwagon. More children are developing allergies in response to foods and/or environment than ever before.

If you read the rest of my post I did say this it was a small price for people to pay to prevent a possible reaction in a child. I said it was thoughtful and responsible for her friend to do this.

However, yes, there are parents who have jumped on the bandwagon. Every parent in my neighborhood has an epipen and will tell you all about their kid's allergy. They do not all have allergies. In this area, it is cool to have a kid with an allergy. Now, I have friends whose kids really do have allergies and it is not fun or cool for them. It is life threatening and takes over huge parts of their lives. The people who jump on the bandwagon annoy me because they desensitize the issue for people who really have a problem.

However, yes, there are parents who have jumped on the bandwagon. Every parent in my neighborhood has an epipen and will tell you all about their kid's allergy. They do not all have allergies. In this area, it is cool to have a kid with an allergy.

I know someone who claims she & her kids have severe allergies and asks for accommodations...but then I have seen her eat the very foods she claimed she couldn't.

Just a year ago, we flew United and they are still handing out peanuts! I was shocked and I wrote a friend of mine with highly allergic children. She wrote United and got back a very snippy letter.

We tell the airlines WHEN we book and then when we actually get to the counter... to check my daughter in... and then again...at the counter when she's boarding. :001_smile:

I'd have never known that either.

We've avoided sending peanut butter products to places that asked us not to send them, but I do think that asking people not to eat them AT HOME is pushing it. This was in a note from a public school that our kids attended years ago - the concern, apparently, was kids who didn't wash their hands enough or such. I understand the concern, but unless the school was planning to purchase some more expensive groceries for me, I would be using what I could afford - and peanut butter was a cheap & common staple in our house as a protein source. Did we SEND it? No. Did we change our own private eating habits in our own private home? No.

(As it turned out, the school quit asking that.)

Me either.

And I ate whatever I wanted on the way and at the bus stop. Nuts, candy bars, poptarts. I see kids every morning in the neighborhood doing the same thing. They might not be taking it on the bus or to school, but otherwise they live as normal.

No, this is untrue. Most people with a peanut allergy are fine with other legumes. However, some with peanut allergies may be advised to avoid other legumes, to avoid the possibility of developing additional legume allergies.

I've never heard of a school or organization policy that banned all legumes. Don't feel bad about sending hummus or pea soup to a place that has banned peanuts.

No, this is untrue. Most people with a peanut allergy are fine with other legumes. However, some with peanut allergies may be advised to avoid other legumes, to avoid the possibility of developing additional legume allergies.

I've never heard of a school or organization policy that banned all legumes. Don't feel bad about sending hummus or pea soup to a place that has banned peanuts.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, to be honest. It was explained to me several years ago and I've forgotten much of the explanation. (ETA - as I understand, a peanut *is* botanically classified as a legume, so I think that's the connection.) But in the case of this one child, the legume allergy is tied to the nut allergy (not just peanuts - all nuts). But then we know another child who has a nut allergy and while pea soup would be fine if we ate it, it would not be okay for him to eat it. So, just to be safe, we don't eat anything of the sort on days we know we'll be in contact with either of them.

Edited by LauraGB

I understood that this was a long (multi-hour) trip for a march of some kind. Those kinds of trips do have chaperones, in my experience. The OP has been removed, though, so I can't check my facts, but I did see and read the OP.