Menu

Should I be upset about this? strange sexual content on early afternoon tv

I occasionally watch TLC's A Baby Story in the afternoons. Today, at about 1:45 this afternoon, my daughter and I were watching it when they aired an ad for another show, My Strange Addiction, which featured a man who has a weird relationship with a life-size doll.

At the close of the commercial it showed the man carrying the doll into another room saying "The sex is going to be fantastic!"

Now, I'm no prude, but I'm thinking this is highly inappropriate for early afternoon tv when small kids could be watching, as my daughter was. I wrote to TLC about it (not that I believe they care what any one viewer thinks), but what do you think? am I overreacting?

It seems to me that cable doesn't have the same ideas about keeping weird stuff at night. This has been a problem when staying in hotels. Then again, I came across some really disturbing stuff from the Jerry Springer show at non-late night hours. And I am sure there are people who would find birth scenes and other medical shows to be too graphic.

I definitely understand your irritation, but I don't think it's going to change.

This is why I DVR everything and fast forward commercials.

Then again, I've let DD watch Taboo and the TLC show about the pregnant man and a variety of other shows many parents on this board probably wouldn't. I do have a line I draw, but it tends to be somewhere between Bones and Dexter, not much of anything on TLC. (I saw some previews for that strange addiction show, though, and am avoiding it myself. Bleh.)

Ironically, I probably wouldn't let her watch A Baby Story unless I'd pre-screened the episode, because, well, I can't stand that show and don't want her to think of the medicalized births it mostly shows as particularly positive/normal/ideal.

This is why I DVR everything and fast forward commercials.

Then again, I've let DD watch Taboo and the TLC show about the pregnant man and a variety of other shows many parents on this board probably wouldn't. I do have a line I draw, but it tends to be somewhere between Bones and Dexter, not much of anything on TLC. (I saw some previews for that strange addiction show, though, and am avoiding it myself. Bleh.)

Ironically, I probably wouldn't let her watch A Baby Story unless I'd pre-screened the episode, because, well, I can't stand that show and don't want her to think of the medicalized births it mostly shows as particularly positive/normal/ideal.

:iagree:with pretty much everything above. I let my daughter watch a lot of things other people maybe wouldn't. But if I were to draw a line, that sex doll ad would have definitely crossed it. I think it shows a lot of disrespect for their audience.

Regarding the show itself, yeah I agree with you there. I don't even know why I watch it (probably because I'm TTC and I've just got baby on the brain), but I do let my daughter know that I don't agree with a lot of the things they show as "normal", particularly their very clear anti-breastfeeding stance.

Aren't the FCC rules and regs different for cable/sat than network television?

If so, that's probably why. If you don't like your kids to hear/see smut, then turn it off. Just because it's TLC doesn't mean any of the programs are educational.

I also think that commercials have different regulations as well as to what is allowed or not. I know that we have filters for shows on our satelite service. Commercials are never blocked by the filters because they are never rated according to sex, language, violence, etc.

Dh and I talk about this at least once a week. We'll be sitting, watching something that is geared towards family, and then BOOM, some crazy sexualized commercial.

Even if most children are in a school building, there are still plenty of children ages 2-5 that are home, because they aren't old enough for school. Honestly, I always thought there were rules about this, but it doesn't appear that commercials count, or something.

We don't have cable, don't allow much t.v., and it is typically supervised - but still, it isn't enough. I am beginning to see why my good friend simply watches on the computer, or through netflix. I mean, the values are disheartening, not to mention the blatant advertising aimed at children. Hmm...I think we may be changing up how we do things here, because I agree, the likelihood that there will be positive change in the television industry is slim.

This is just another example of how reality TV is ruining family viewing time. Nothing is too strange anymore and we are supposed to accept it, embrace it and think it is all perfectly normal that it is on TV for all to see.

I am the first to say I love TV and I watch my share of reality shows(House Hunters International, American Pickers, even Survivor and Amazing Race) but I long for just some great shows like The Smothers Brothers, Carol Burnett and as my husband jokingly says, shows from "days of yore!" My kids hate when he says that!!!!

In my town, 99.9% of all children are at a school building or day care away from cable TV at 1:45pm. I have no doubt they assummed that no one would notice or be watching with a child at that time of day.

But on their website they have resources for teachers who use TLC in the classroom.

It was a preview for a show aimed at adults and was shown DURING a show aimed at adults.... and during the hours that children are (mostly) in school (much like soap operas are also played during this time). Yes, there are toddlers and babies at home, but they don't generally watch TLC.

I don't know, it just doesn't shock me. Now, if they advertised it in the middle of Sesame Street.... :p

I occasionally watch TLC's A Baby Story in the afternoons. Today, at about 1:45 this afternoon, my daughter and I were watching it when they aired an ad for another show, My Strange Addiction, which featured a man who has a weird relationship with a life-size doll.

At the close of the commercial it showed the man carrying the doll into another room saying "The sex is going to be fantastic!"

Now, I'm no prude, but I'm thinking this is highly inappropriate for early afternoon tv when small kids could be watching, as my daughter was. I wrote to TLC about it (not that I believe they care what any one viewer thinks), but what do you think? am I overreacting?

:svengo: No I don't think you are overreacting.

This is just another example of how reality TV is ruining family viewing time. Nothing is too strange anymore and we are supposed to accept it, embrace it and think it is all perfectly normal that it is on TV for all to see.

I am the first to say I love TV and I watch my share of reality shows(House Hunters International, American Pickers, even Survivor and Amazing Race) but I long for just some great shows like The Smothers Brothers, Carol Burnett and as my husband jokingly says, shows from "days of yore!" My kids hate when he says that!!!!

:iagree:We watch a lot of shows from the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s from Netflix and the library:D

As for most reality TV, I find it abhorrent for the lack of values.

First of all, I detest that show. I really don't need to know what strange fetishes people have. :glare:

Secondly, TLC has a lot of shows that are for older/mature audiences and you have to pay attention to ratings. They don't really go by time of day, although I don't see what it would hurt.

That said, I have let my kids watch "A Baby Story" and "Birth Day" for years, much to my mother's chagrin. (She comes from the old school that uses the term "with child" in whispered tones instead of "pregnant." LOL!!!)

You'll have to just pay attention to the schedules and know what's coming up. :bigear: We never give our kids unlimited or unsupervised access to TV, unless it's a channel that is 100% family-friendly or child-friendly programming. TLC doesn't fall into that category because of thematic material.

Actually, it is a show *because*, by definition, fetishes are oddities. It's not on tv due to normalcy. That's the same reason the Duggars have a show. :confused:

Yes, OP, I think you are over-reacting. If you can talk to your child about issues relating to a Baby Story, why can't you give a one or two sentence explanation of sexual fetishes and how TV commercials are designed to peak interest in viewing?

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this showed poor judgment on TLC's part. They may not be regulated by the same standards as non-cable networks, but that's no excuse.

All families are different, but I think a large enough part of their audience would have an issue with a mention of sex with latex dolls during an early afternoon show aimed at women in their early reproductive years who are very likely to have young kids around for them to want to be a little more considerate.

Actually, it is a show *because*, by definition, fetishes are oddities. It's not on tv due to normalcy. That's the same reason the Duggars have a show. :confused:

Yes, OP, I think you are over-reacting. If you can talk to your child about issues relating to a Baby Story, why can't you give a one or two sentence explanation of sexual fetishes and how TV commercials are designed to peak interest in viewing?

Really? I would let my kids watch A Baby Story and talk to them about pregnancy and birth and so on. But heck no I wouldn't want to have to give a one or two sentence explanation of why some guy is talking about sex with a blow up doll to my 10 year old. Those two things are not REMOTELY the same.

Really? I would let my kids watch A Baby Story and talk to them about pregnancy and birth and so on. But heck no I wouldn't want to have to give a one or two sentence explanation of why some guy is talking about sex with a blow up doll to my 10 year old. Those two things are not REMOTELY the same.

Me either and nor should we. The problem is too many don't think it's a problem. No kids should have to see nor hear about this garbage. Hollywood and the like are simply toxic. Nothing is safe anymore.