Menu

Dumb questions: How much high school math do you need for a college accounting major?

For my accounting degree I needed to take Calculus. As for the actual accounting classes, I never really used much advanced math. I took calc towards the end of college and didn't suffer for it but I have always been good in math. Edited to add: I took Pre-Calc in high school.

Edited by Tabula Rasa

I know that at U of Illinois, accountancy majors are required to take Business calculus. They make come in ready to take that or they may start in Linear Algebra and then move on to business calc. (But, then again, if it is a competitive program, they may not accept applicants who do not have extensive high school math - I do not know of any accy majors accepted there who did not complete pre-calc.)

Around here, the uni has "business calculus" and it is a little bit different than regular calculus. You'll want to complete pre-calc which could also be trig depending on the curriculum you use. DD's curriculum was trig and pre-calc all rolled into one so we called it pre-calc on her transcript. I don't think that you need calculus for high school but if there is time, introducing it in high school, even if only a half credit is completed, can go a long ways towards making college calc or business calc go smoothly.

One of dd's acquaintances who is majoring in accounting, took statistics and analysis in high school instead of calculus and feels that this is going to be quite valuable.

Faith

I know that at U of Illinois, accountancy majors are required to take Business calculus. They make come in ready to take that or they may start in Linear Algebra and then move on to business calc. (But, then again, if it is a competitive program, they may not accept applicants who do not have extensive high school math - I do not know of any accy majors accepted there who did not complete pre-calc.)

My degree is actually in "Economics and Business with an Emphasis in Accounting." :tongue_smilie: But, I had all the accounting I needed to sit for the CPA exam. But, b/c it was a liberal arts college, I also had to have many (6!) courses in Economics. There was no such thing as "Business Calculus" where I attended college. Calculus was the same for everyone. So, if Calculus is required for an accounting degree the "type" of Calculus that is taught may depend on the "type" of school that is attended. I went through Pre-Calc in high school. Actually, I had it twice. I moved my senior year to a small town that did not offer Calculus so I wound up with Pre-Calc twice. I only needed Calc I for my degree. I didn't have much trouble, but my roommate was a math major which was handy when I needed some help. The only thing I remember using were derivatives in some Econ classes.

My dh attended big state uni where he started off as an engineering major. He had taken Calculus in high school. He dropped the regular Calculus when he changed majors (also to accounting), so he later took Business Calculus which he said was incredibly easy when compared to the "regular" Calculus class taught for engineering.

I don't know if your dc wants to sit for the CPA exam, but MANY if not MOST states now require either a Masters degree or a Bachelors plus 30 additional hours (which is why most folks just go ahead and get the Master's degree). You may already know this, but I thought I would throw it out there.

I agree with the previous poster that taking a statistics class would be most helpful. At least one and perhaps two semesters will likely be required for accounting. But, I would go at least through Pre-Calc in high school.

HTH.

Edited by Hoggirl
"dh," not "ds"!!!!

I had a dual major in accounting and nursing. I did not have to take calculus in my college (College Misericordia in Dallas, PA). We did take quantitative analysis. The most advanced math in the accounting program was algebra, which if you think about it why in the world would an accountant need to be concerned about triangles (trig) and things anyway? Most of the math in accounting is pretty basic.

OK -- I looked at one college in my area that has been on our radar.

For an Accounting Major -- Commercial Track, it requires:

*PreCalculus

* Topics in Statistics

For an Accounting Major -- Economic Crime Track, it requires:

*Math Module (it's under Gen Ed.)

* Topics in Statistics

For an Accounting Major -- CPA Track, 5 yrs., it requires:

*Calculus

* Topics in Statistics 200 level

* Topics in Statistics 300 level

Plus a whole buncha other stuff. ;)

My DD loves crime stuff...but she'd probably never be able to go into law enforcement b/c of her epilepsy. She is very strong at lower level Math...meticulous and careful, never makes careless errors, etc. That is why we're thinking of accounting w/economic crime idea.

It will vary by university, but the most common requirement is that accounting majors have two college math courses: an algebra based course and a business calculus course. A student who did well in high school algebra 2 and high school calculus will probably find these courses easy. Sometimes there is even the possibility to test out of these courses at the college level.

In addition, a statistics course will be required. This is often taught within the business school as a "business statistics" course.

As far as the actual practice of accounting, a strong algebra background is the most important math skills.

Calculus is a requirement at many colleges for business, economics and accounting. Frankly, I think that the course is often used to filter out students who are less competitive academically.

As noted, some colleges have a separate business calculus course. I have taught both it and Calculus for engineers. The former usually has applications (word problems) from business and economics; the latter has applications from physics.

Economics is using more and more mathematical modeling. Linear programming is a requirement in many business programs although prerequisites for this course may depend upon the level at which it is taught (i.e. practical vs. theoretical).

I just looked up our local Cal State and their B.S. in Business Administration, Accounting Option requires 1 class in statistics and 1 class in "business math". Substituting Calculus for "business math" is recommended but not required. Students are supposed to have completed through Algebra II in high school to be eligible for CSU admission.

I'm a CPA. I needed to take "Pre-Calculus" in college but other than that no math. And the Pre-Calc course was not difficult at all.

You use Algebra, maybe Statistics, in your day to day work, but I haven't needed Geometry or anything even remotely like Calculus.

BTW - I hate Math. HATE it. I wanted to be an English Major (cf the Literature Abuser thread). Accounting is NOT Math - not as defined by mathematicians. Accounting is the organization, collection, and presentation of data. Add, subtract, multiply, divide. Sometimes solve for "x". That's it.

Others may disagree - but this was my experience. ETA: Don't get me wrong - I liked Accounting.

Edited by Hopscotch67

I'm a CPA. I needed to take "Pre-Calculus" in college but other than that no math. And the Pre-Calc course was not difficult at all.

You use Algebra, maybe Statistics, in your day to day work, but I haven't needed Geometry or anything even remotely like Calculus.

BTW - I hate Math. HATE it. I wanted to be an English Major (cf the Literature Abuser thread). Accounting is NOT Math - not as defined by mathematicians. Accounting is the organization, collection, and presentation of data. Add, subtract, multiply, divide. Sometimes solve for "x". That's it.

Others may disagree - but this was my experience. ETA: Don't get me wrong - I liked Accounting.

Do you have resources or suggestions for DD/us so she can see if she might like accting as an occupation? Should she try a high school/homeschool accounting class? how can I get in touch with someone who might talk to her about a career?

Another CPA here. I suggest checking the websites of a colleges that you? your child? might attend. I only took through Alg 2 in high school because I graduated in 3 years and Alg 1 wasn't even available until 9th grade back then. I took Trig and Statistics in college. Calculus was not required. From what I've heard more recently, some colleges require it for business/accounting majors and some do not.

Another CPA here. I suggest checking the websites of a colleges that you? your child? might attend. I only took through Alg 2 in high school because I graduated in 3 years and Alg 1 wasn't even available until 9th grade back then. I took Trig and Statistics in college. Calculus was not required. From what I've heard more recently, some colleges require it for business/accounting majors and some do not.

The one I'm looking at for DD ;) has these listed:

OK -- I looked at one college in my area that has been on our radar.

For an Accounting Major -- Commercial Track, it requires:

*PreCalculus

* Topics in Statistics

For an Accounting Major -- Economic Crime Track, it requires:

*Math Module (it's under Gen Ed.)

* Topics in Statistics

For an Accounting Major -- CPA Track, 5 yrs., it requires:

*Calculus

* Topics in Statistics 200 level

* Topics in Statistics 300 level

ETA: This is what she'd have to take IN college. I can't see to find admissions requirements.

Edited by unsinkable

• 4 weeks later...
I thought I wanted to do accounting. I was on similar forums and someone suggested why dont I try a course out at a locall community college. I am glad I did. Turns out I am not into accounting as I found out after taking the class. So its something to consider. You may think you like accounting, but give it a shot at a local school and see if you *really* like it. All the best!!!

Thanks! This is for my DD so we are trying to look for ways for her to get an idea of what classes & a career would be like.

This is a very interesting thread. My 15yo is very interested in accounting (actually he wants to be a forensic accountant). I think I need to contact some colleges to see what they want as pre-reqs. He's on schedule to do pre-calc in high school but maybe statistics would be better. Hmmmm

That's what DD is thinking of, too.

Who knows ?!?! :D

Edited by unsinkable

I was accepted as an accounting major with Algebra II (honors) as my highest high school math. I had started pre-calc, but dropped it to avoid an F. :001_huh:

However, my math SAT was around 670 or 680.

Freshman year, they made me take Business Calc. I bombed. Not sure why anyone would expect different after struggling so hard with pre-calc!

No, I am not an accountant! ;)

Most now require business calc and/or statistics, although some don't.

If you have a student looking at accounting, I'd take an algebra-based course every year. There are enough courses to take in college without taking remedial math courses. If a lighter senior option is required, college algebra would be a decent choice.

I missed this thread, please forgive me for not answering back!

I went to PS, but this will give you an idea of what you could do education/internship wise. I took an accounting class in high school (Jr. year) and that's where the seed was planted. It was just so logical. A friend in that class was taking a class in 10-key (adding machine) - why they had a whole class in it I do not know, but she taught me the finger position and how to use the thing in about 10 minutes. I did an internship (unpaid) at General Dynamics in their procurement department and saw what happened in the workplace while I filed papers for them (boring, but got me in and gave me experience). I also got a job doing data entry for a construction company - again, gave me an inside view. That 10 minutes of 10 key instruction got me in the door.

If your DC wants to talk to me, PM me. I'm happy to discuss my experiences. If we were local I'd show her the basics and she could decide from there. I'm only 4 years out of the business and considering going back.

Other resources - contact the AICPA (AICPA.org). They should have resources for you. (I'll look myself and see what I find, but can't right this minute). Contact a local accounting office. They may not have time for you right now (tax season) or they might enjoy having some free labor for an afternoon - she'd just be filing or something else menial, but she'd get to see an office in action.

HTH!