Menu

s/o (sort of)... visiting places of worship outside your religion

I guess I should first say that I am a lapsed Catholic. I loved my Church, but in the last year or so have been dealing with some personal issues regarding Church doctrine and haven't been to Church since last Easter.

With that said, my entire life I have been very interested in other religions. I love learning about the beliefs of others, the meaning of traditions, etc. I've read extensively on various religions, including portions of Holy books.

I'd really love to visit houses of worship other than Catholic Churches. But... I'm afraid? Most importantly, I don't want to offend anyone. Do most religions accept visitors? I know we often had visitors at my Church, but they were mostly either Catholics from other areas, or came with friends/family.

For example... would it be okay to visit a Jewish Synagogue? If the answer is yes, what should I know? (Regarding dress, behavior, what the service requires.) I can't get the vision of a visitor to my church who came in shorts and a t-shirt, and then had her family trying to explain in the middle of communion that she couldn't go up.

(The question applies to more than just Synagogues, including other Christian denominations.)

( I also want to add. This isn't me trying to be a gawker, but I do feel that the more you know about your neighbor, the easier it is to understand them. If more people in the world took time to understand our neighbors, we could reduce a lot of fear and stereotyping.)

Why don't you try a Messianic Jewish congregation first as they also believe that Jesus is the Messiah? Not too far apart that way. We were invited to visit and really enjoyed it. They were very welcoming and used to visitors. Services are usually Friday evening (quite long where we visited) and end with a meal. HTH.

I took a class where we did that -- one of my favorite classes of all time and wish I could re-create it with my kids. It was organized by an Episcopal church and a Reform congregation and we visited many different (20?) Jewish and Christian denominations. I remember there was a good book(s) called How to be a Perfect Stranger that addressed how to be a respectful guest. I'll try to find my copy and give more information later.

I guess I should first say that I am a lapsed Catholic. I loved my Church, but in the last year or so have been dealing with some personal issues regarding Church doctrine and haven't been to Church since last Easter.

With that said, my entire life I have been very interested in other religions. I love learning about the beliefs of others, the meaning of traditions, etc. I've read extensively on various religions, including portions of Holy books.

I'd really love to visit houses of worship other than Catholic Churches. But... I'm afraid? Most importantly, I don't want to offend anyone. Do most religions accept visitors? I know we often had visitors at my Church, but they were mostly either Catholics from other areas, or came with friends/family.

For example... would it be okay to visit a Jewish Synagogue? If the answer is yes, what should I know? (Regarding dress, behavior, what the service requires.) I can't get the vision of a visitor to my church who came in shorts and a t-shirt, and then had her family trying to explain in the middle of communion that she couldn't go up.

(The question applies to more than just Synagogues, including other Christian denominations.)

( I also want to add. This isn't me trying to be a gawker, but I do feel that the more you know about your neighbor, the easier it is to understand them. If more people in the world took time to understand our neighbors, we could reduce a lot of fear and stereotyping.)

I think you will find that this info varies by church not just by denomination. I am Southern Baptist and our particular church is conservative but, laid back at the same time. For instance, the part I bolded would not have been a problem at all at our church. Our Pastor explains that only someone who placed their faith in the Savior should take Lord's Supper, but it is between you and God. There are no other qualifications. You could be in your sweat pants and bedroom slippers for all we care. But, a more formal S. Baptist church may have been just like the church you mentioned.

:iagree: Then maybe, just maybe people wouldn't mutter "terrorist" under their breath when they walked past me :001_huh:. Masjids/mosques are very welcoming to observers from other faiths :001_smile:.

I am LDS (Mormon) and share your fascination with other beliefs. The only services I have ever been turned away from where those of a Southern Baptist church I was trying to sit in on. Everyone else has always been exceptionally welcoming and their leaders more than happy to talk religious similarities/differences if I don't catch them at a super busy time. I love my faith but I love attending the services of other faiths and I love the understanding and goodwill that such actions promote.

When we visited other places of worship with my confirmation class, i know we dressed in typical sunday church clothes (so "business casual" or slightly dressier - pants and a sweater were okay). Because there was a group of us (6-8), I'm pretty sure my minister called ahead and let them know we were coming.

Another thing to do is to see if the places you want to visit have websites. More and more do, and some comment on things like attire. Specifically, I've seen that mentioned in churches that offer a contemporary service or that are more casual. They might also have statements about communion.

I have enjoyed visiting religious services of other faiths too. I agree that the better we understand one another, whether we agree with each other or not, the easier it is to love each other and find common ground where we can be friends without suspicion and discomfort in our communities. The only time I've been uncomfortable at one was when some ladies I worked with once invited me to a seminar at their church during our lunch break and it turned out to be a "seminar" about the evils of "cults" and included piles of misinformation about my own faith, but I thought it was kind of my co-workers to want to rescue me, if that's really what they thought we believed...lol. They meant well.

Just so you know, we Latter-day Saints (aka Mormons) love it when people visit our church meetings and worship services, even if it's just to gawk. All of our Sunday worship services and mid-week activities at our meetinghouses (regular church buildings) are open to anyone who wants to come. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about what to expect. Also, here's a link that tells a little about that, and would help you locate an LDS church in your area. Also, you could contact LDS missionaries in your area for a tour of the building and to ask questions if you want. :) (The services held in temples are different, and are not open to the general public, though you would certainly be welcome to enjoy the beautiful temple grounds, and many temples have a visitor's center where you could learn more about temples and see photos of the interior, and new temples have an openhouse for the public before they are dedicated.)

I guess I'm unusual in that I've always been around people of other faiths, and we always went to each others' services, and not just "ecumenical" ones.

All I'll say, is that if anyone tells you that they "touch their toes" at a certain point in the service, they probably don't. :D Yeah, we used to pull that one all the time on the unsuspecting when we were kids.

I told my friend, who's a priest about us doing that, and now everytime I see him, he makes me touch my toes as I enter his church as a small bit of penance!

Hello, I am not a christian but belong to a distinct religion :SIKH.This religion has its roots in India. Since we are in minority, so not known much, but if you would have ever seen men/women with turbans on their head, we are one of them, and often targeted with hate-crime since people link us with Bin Laden..anyways..

People of all religions/races/colors are welcome in our worshipping plac e:GURUDWARA { which means: place of GOD}

Yes, the only norm you may have to follow while visiting our worshipping place, is to take off your shoes before entering and cover your head with a scarf etc. We hold free community kitchen every sunday afternoons, people of all denominations are allowed to eat food there {for free}.

Basic principles of our religion are : ALL men are equal, women should be treated equally, human life is for connecting to GOD, We keep unshorn hair, to show respect for GOD's perfect creation.

SOmeone ( american historian) quoted," We have one Jesus who was martyered, and have christians in billions, you people have thousands of such martyers in your religion still you are in minority?"

You can google more for:sikh or sikhism, its the most modern religion yet least known.

If you ever decide to visist any Gurudarwa (sikh temple) near you , you will always be given a warm welcome.

I am LDS (Mormon) and share your fascination with other beliefs. The only services I have ever been turned away from where those of a Southern Baptist church I was trying to sit in on. Everyone else has always been exceptionally welcoming and their leaders more than happy to talk religious similarities/differences if I don't catch them at a super busy time. I love my faith but I love attending the services of other faiths and I love the understanding and goodwill that such actions promote.

:confused: I'm stunned. Generally they would be thrilled to have an opportunity to convert you, I would think?!

:confused: I'm stunned. Generally they would be thrilled to have an opportunity to convert you, I would think?!

I thought they would have been thrilled to try and convert me too, lol. I was certainly welcome in a different Southern Baptist congregation. I always just figured that the pastor of the first didn't want me anywhere near his flock *shrug*. Whatever the reason, I respected his wishes (and thoroughly enjoyed my experience at the other Baptist church!)

:grouphug:

Honey, this is the time to go to Reconciliation, rather than looking for the answers outside of the Church.

Thank you but... I don't think this is something that can be reconciled.

As much as I'd love to go back to Mass...

I'm not necessarily looking for any answers, just looking to learn about other cultures. I've found all the answers I need, in the Catholic Church, but due to one issue, I found myself unable to keep attending. And, I *love* the Catholic Church, don't feel home anywhere else. I don't think I'll ever find another Church to go to regularly.

:iagree: Then maybe, just maybe people wouldn't mutter "terrorist" under their breath when they walked past me :001_huh:. Masjids/mosques are very welcoming to observers from other faiths :001_smile:.

This kind of stuff appalls me. :grouphug: I'm sorry this has happened to you.

And maybe because I grew up in a family which is pretty unaccepting, but I am determined that MY child will NOT even think comments like that. And hopefully she will encourage others to become more tolerant in their thinking.

(FTR: When I say my family is unaccepting, they would never make a comment where someone would overhear it, but in the privacy of their own home, they often say things that disgust me.)

And... really? Wow. For some reason I was thinking that mosques were for Muslims only. Good news. Now I just need to find one to visit while I'm visiting family in the DC area... I don't think there is a mosque anywhere near where I live!

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded. I definitely plan on getting the book that a number of you suggested.

I am currently visiting family in the DC metro area where there are many different religions practicing (as opposed to where I live on the Eastern Shore which is overwhelmingly Christian). I am looking forward to the next couple of weeks! :D