Menu

How much to pay overnight babysitters?

Have the sitters agreed to being paid half the usual rate? It's just that you said you usually pay $10/hour and you're planning to split it - so that's actually only $5/hour instead...

I guess maybe the idea is that they're sharing the work and can therefore share the pay? I'm just thinking though - WHY do you have TWO sitters? Is it because overnight like this is actually MORE work? Then the 'half rate' doesn't seem entirely fair, know what I mean?

Then again, paying $10/hour X 2 is a lot of money as well.

Just thinking aloud here. (My dd14 babysits a fair bit)

:bigear:

I don't know -- haven't done this before (YET), but plan to in the next year or so. I would probably not be offerering to pay full rate for the time everyone is sleeping. The sitters aren't doing much then unless their is an infant or someone is sick. Just my 2 cents :-)

I think it would depend somewhat on the ages of the sitters. The older the sitters, the more I would pay. For what you decribed, I would probably pay around $200 and add a tip. Have an enjoyable time:001_smile:

:iagree: When the boys were younger, this is what I would pay. If you come home to very happy kids, and a somewhat straightened home, I would add $25-30 each because you want them to say "yes" the next time.

DH and I are going away overnight for our anniversary.

There will be two babysitters for 6 kids from Sunday noon to Monday 4 p.m.

I usually pay 10$ hr so that'd be $170 for 17 hrs. Do I divide that in two or just give them a lump sum.

Thoughts?

I think it would be best for you to clarify this with the sitters.

FWIW when I was a an older teen (many moons ago) I would occasionally babysit with a girlfriend. This usually was when there was a high # of children, or when the hours were going to be particularly long. You get to hit both of those criteria. However, we split the pay. Having another "adult" person there was beneficial to me, as a babysitter. It made my job easier. I was willing to accept a lower rate of pay BECAUSE I was sharing that responsibility.

As an adult, I have had two instances of paying for night-time care. One time I hired an adult, and negotiated an awake rate and a sleeping rate. I think I paid $12/hr awake and $8/hr asleep.

Recently I had a teen come overnight for an emergency. I paid her a half-rate for the hours I was at home, yet still had her here for convenience of both us and her family. The kids were asleep before she got here (it was almost 11pm). For something scheduled overnight I would again pay an awake rate and a sleeping rate.

HTH!

:iagree: When the boys were younger, this is what I would pay. If you come home to very happy kids, and a somewhat straightened home, I would add $25-30 each because you want them to say "yes" the next time.

SO I'm working to clarify this with them and they've come up with $360 to split.

Ouch. I'm thinking of finding another sitter.

:bigear:

I don't know -- haven't done this before (YET), but plan to in the next year or so. I would probably not be offerering to pay full rate for the time everyone is sleeping. The sitters aren't doing much then unless their is an infant or someone is sick. Just my 2 cents :-)

Do you want them to rescue your kids from the house fire, or not? :D

Seriously, this is what you pay an overnight babysitter for, the chance that someone will be sick, or the house will catch fire, or a burglar enters the home, along with the discomfort and annoyance of not sleeping in your own bed. I don't consider keeping my kids safe to be "not doing much," y'know?

I think it would depend somewhat on the ages of the sitters. The older the sitters, the more I would pay. For what you decribed, I would probably pay around $200 and add a tip. Have an enjoyable time:001_smile:

Why would you pay less for a younger sitter? If it's a mother's helper situation, then sure. Or a teen watching a slightly younger child who's not quite ready to be on their own, sure, I might not not pay full rates for that.

But these sitters, whatever their age, are going to have sole responsibility for six kids, including a toddler, a preschooler, and a kindy. They're going to be changing diapers, running meal time, refereeing fights, and seeing to their safety in case of an emergency. They either have the capability of keeping them safe and secure through the day and night, or they don't. This isn't a 'starter' job, imo!

Well, I have to say that I think one sitter is fine. So, that's what i'd do. :) I'd be thrilled to get $150. I got $300 when I was 23 for a week. You have older kids, so it seems that everyone would just pitch in and help. I was taking care of kids for the weekend at 16. ALL. FOUR. HOMESCHOOLED. BRATS. My kids were never going to be so bratty. (Ha Ha on me!!)

Or, could you find friends to send them to. Kinda split them half and half? Or all of them to one house, and pay a sitter to go "help".... I mean... at 11... your kids are probably helping you lots!! It might be great for some family you know to take your kids this weekend..... and then you have theirs another... Just a thought :)

DH and I are going away overnight for our anniversary.

There will be two babysitters for 6 kids from Sunday noon to Monday 4 p.m.

I usually pay 10$ hr so that'd be $170 for 17 hrs. Do I divide that in two or just give them a lump sum.

Thoughts?

Can a family member babysit? I never left my kids overnight at those ages with anyone else, plus I couldn't afford a good overnight babysitter.

Can a family member babysit? I never left my kids overnight at those ages with anyone else, plus I couldn't afford a good overnight babysitter.

I would prefer it to be a family member however that's not an option for many many blood pressure raising reason over which I have absolutely no control or ability to change.

So. These girls are friends of my homeschooling friends who do come from bigger families, one for a large blended family. Their moms I've known for several years and they are just 10 min. down the road. The girls are high schoolers, both seniors. And they have been babysitting our kids for two years now so they know our family rules and ways.

I have had to get a DCFS background on each just to let them watch my foster son overnight too.

So I think we're good on that end as best as can be. But it's still not Grandma, I know. :tongue_smilie:

We'll not be far either.

SO I'm working to clarify this with them and they've come up with $360 to split.

Ouch. I'm thinking of finding another sitter.

For 6 children, many of them whom are small and for the hours you will be gone, this is honestly what I would pay them. That is a long time, over-night, with small children. This is why so many people take a sitter with them and get an extra room, it is often cheaper. I know that is what we will do with J, I could never leave him over-night.

I'm confused. The initial post says Sunday noon to Monday 4pm. That's 28 hours which works out to be $12.86/hour. That doesn't seem to be unreasonable for 2 babysitters to split - only $6.43 each per hour. I'm thinking that the toddler is going to be a lot of work, may be hard to put to sleep with mommy and daddy gone, may wake up in the night. The sitters may have to alternate sleeping to make sure someone hears if one of the kids wakes up and needs help. Plus meals - lunch Sunday, dinner Sunday, breakfast Monday, lunch Monday, possibly starting to prepare dinner Monday.