Menu

I could use some good vibes

Thanks so much everybody. :grouphug:

He called and the cardiologist is sending him home to sleep and he'll go back for more tests tomorrow. They said it COULD be severe gastritis but they're not ruling out a heart attack even though he's awfully young for one. I guess we'll find out...

I really appreciate all the hugs and well-wishes. It's so nice to have somewhere to get this out even when the 'real world' around me is all fast asleep.

He called and the cardiologist is sending him home to sleep and he'll go back for more tests tomorrow. They said it COULD be severe gastritis but they're not ruling out a heart attack even though he's awfully young for one. I guess we'll find out...

I really appreciate all the hugs and well-wishes. It's so nice to have somewhere to get this out even when the 'real world' around me is all fast asleep.

:grouphug:

Still sending good thoughts!

What about cardiac enzymes? I thought they could tell thru those?

If he has a family history of heart attack at a young age then I'd watch him like a hawk. Also, if he has any of the other indicators -- smoking, overweight, high BP coupled with family history I wouldn't let him leave the hospital.

How is he doing this morning?

When he was at the hospital, what did the EKG and lab results show? Were there any abnormalities?

I find it so odd that they would have sent him home. Our hospitals never seem to want to let anyone leave the emergency room without staying overnight as a precaution.

I hope he's ok and it turns out to have just been a really bad case of gas and indigestion. It could also be a gall bladder problem.

Cat

Still sending good thoughts!

What about cardiac enzymes? I thought they could tell thru those?

If he has a family history of heart attack at a young age then I'd watch him like a hawk. Also, if he has any of the other indicators -- smoking, overweight, high BP coupled with family history I wouldn't let him leave the hospital.

He's a smoker, but not overweight and generally healthy, with zero family history of heart problems. Now that I've proceeded past the panic stage, I think it's really unlikely he had a heart attack. Which doesn't mean I won't still be watching him like a hawk until this is all sorted out. ;)

How is he doing this morning?

When he was at the hospital, what did the EKG and lab results show? Were there any abnormalities?

I find it so odd that they would have sent him home. Our hospitals never seem to want to let anyone leave the emergency room without staying overnight as a precaution.

I hope he's ok and it turns out to have just been a really bad case of gas and indigestion. It could also be a gall bladder problem.

Cat

I woke him up an hour ago and he says the pain's gone now, he's just tired. The EKG was 'slightly erratic', whatever that means. I figure it couldn't have been too bad if they let him go home. His bloodwork was normal. He'd been at the hospital for 8+ hours and they were apparently swamped, which I think had a lot to do with why he was sent home...

When they sent him home with the 'it COULD be gastritis' bit I looked it up, and although I'm no doctor it sounds a lot more likely to be the culprit. He's been taking anti-inflammatory painkillers for a long period due to back problems, and apparently extended use can cause stomach problem exactly like the pain he was having. Why OUR doctor wouldn't have mentioned that, I have no idea. :confused:

I guess we'll have to wait on the tests to know for sure. I hope he's okay too, thanks!

I was there about 4 years ago -- not overweight and not a smoker, but numbness in left arm, I do have hypertension --

blood enzymes were good. I went for a thallium stress test a few days later, -- it was stress -- go figure.:glare:

Glad he is home and it does not appear to be cardiac related --:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks for the update -- I wouldn't doubt that it was gastritis, but it's so scary when stuff like that happens. (Stress can cause the same kind of thing, and you really think you're dying until they tell you it's stress and then you suddenly feel a lot better. Of course, you should not ask me how I know this. :glare:;))

Did you ever notice that this stuff always happens on the weekend? Why is it never bright and early on a Monday morning when all of the doctors are in their offices and you can get in to see them right away?

It's always the weekend. :glare:

I hope he feels ok today!

Oh, and be sure to write down everything he ate yesterday, before he forgets. Your dh's regular doctor may want to know. Things like high-fat meals can trigger gallbladder attacks, and acidic foods can really mess with your digestive system if you're on anti-inflammatories (as can taking the pills on an empty stomach, or without drinking a full glass of water with them.)

Cat

I'm glad that his blood work was normal. When I was being checked for a heart attack a couple of weeks ago, they told me that they could tell from looking for cardiac enzymes if I had had or was having a heart attack.

My dh went to the ER for chest pain a couple of years ago. It ended up being his gallbladder.

All that just to say that pain is a weird thing that doesn't always show up where we think it should.

Thanks for the update -- I wouldn't doubt that it was gastritis, but it's so scary when stuff like that happens. (Stress can cause the same kind of thing, and you really think you're dying until they tell you it's stress and then you suddenly feel a lot better. Of course, you should not ask me how I know this. :glare:;))

Did you ever notice that this stuff always happens on the weekend? Why is it never bright and early on a Monday morning when all of the doctors are in their offices and you can get in to see them right away?

It's always the weekend. :glare:

I hope he feels ok today!

Oh, and be sure to write down everything he ate yesterday, before he forgets. Your dh's regular doctor may want to know. Things like high-fat meals can trigger gallbladder attacks, and acidic foods can really mess with your digestive system if you're on anti-inflammatories (as can taking the pills on an empty stomach, or without drinking a full glass of water with them.)

Cat

Yes! It is always, always on the weekend or in the middle of the night! :glare:

Last month, my daughter broke out in hives on a Saturday...ER time. A couple weeks ago the kids both came down with a nasty stomach virus Friday night. My toddler ended up spiking a fever that gave him a febrile seizure. ER again. Then dh last night. I told him when he got home...we suck at weekends. This is ridiculous!! ;)

I'm going to be watching his diet pretty closely and keeping track of it. I figure regardless of what turns out to be the culprit, be it heart or digestive, diet is the first thing he'll have to change. Might as well start there!

Thanks! :grouphug:

I was there about 4 years ago -- not overweight and not a smoker, but numbness in left arm, I do have hypertension --

blood enzymes were good. I went for a thallium stress test a few days later, -- it was stress -- go figure.:glare:

Glad he is home and it does not appear to be cardiac related --:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks! It's so scary, isn't it? :grouphug:

sending good vibes :grouphug:. hope the test results are fast, conclusive and an easy-to-fix problem!

ann

Thanks, I hope so too!

I'm glad that his blood work was normal. When I was being checked for a heart attack a couple of weeks ago, they told me that they could tell from looking for cardiac enzymes if I had had or was having a heart attack.

My dh went to the ER for chest pain a couple of years ago. It ended up being his gallbladder.

All that just to say that pain is a weird thing that doesn't always show up where we think it should.

My mom had a heart scare recently that turned out to be gallbladder. Pain is definitely a very weird thing!