Menu

Modest Swimwear -- are these too modest?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care for them. It's funny that they're touted as modest when they're skin-tight. They also look too much like street clothes, and I think people would wonder why you're wearing a dress and leggings in the pool.

For modesty, I really like rash guard-type tops and swim shorts. I recently bought a very modest tankini for my daughter from Lands End (called the Women's Original Sport Tankini) that is adorable.

No, I do not find these suits "too modest". I can't even imagine what "too modest" would mean. How can one be "too modest"? Strange concept.

I would assume that when the modest dress isn't about being modest but about letting people around you know you're being modest. There was a good explanation in another thread about modesty not being simply about sexuality but about not seeking attention based solely on how you look.

So if you deck yourself out in something that covers most of you but draws a lot of attention, you may want to revisit why exactly you're dressing the way you are.

So if you deck yourself out in something that covers most of you but draws a lot of attention, you may want to revisit why exactly you're dressing the way you are.

Thank you for explaining this concept of "too modest". I find it interesting. I suppose it is possible for a woman to dress in such a way as to purposefully draw attention to her modest dress. However, I don't feel this is often the case. If a person's standard of modesty is in such conflict with that of the society she finds herself in, no matter how hard she may try to "blend in", she will always stand out, by virtue of being more modest than the majority. She is not trying to call attention to herself, but she has to choose between lowering her standards and breaking her principles in order not to appear "different", or accept that she will attract a bit of attention through her modesty, while maintaining her convictions.

If we were suddenly transported to a remote village where women wore long skirts but were topless, those of us with a standard of modesty that does not allow for that style of dress would do our best to fit in, wearing similarly styled and colored clothing, for example, but with a top. Yes, we would stand out, perhaps even draw attention to ourselves, but that bit of attention would be preferable to going topless in order to fit in.

I believe most women who would wear these suits would do so out of true beliefs, not to "show off" how modest they are, but that's just me.

Thank you for explaining this concept of "too modest". I find it interesting. I suppose it is possible for a woman to dress in such a way as to purposefully draw attention to her modest dress. However, I don't feel this is often the case. If a person's standard of modesty is in such conflict with that of the society she finds herself in, no matter how hard she may try to "blend in", she will always stand out, by virtue of being more modest than the majority. She is not trying to call attention to herself, but she has to choose between lowering her standards and breaking her principles in order not to appear "different", or accept that she will attract a bit of attention through her modesty, while maintaining her convictions.

If we were suddenly transported to a remote village where women wore long skirts but were topless, those of us with a standard of modesty that does not allow for that style of dress would do our best to fit in, wearing similarly styled and colored clothing, for example, but with a top. Yes, we would stand out, perhaps even draw attention to ourselves, but that bit of attention would be preferable to going topless in order to fit in.

I believe most women who would wear these suits would do so out of true beliefs, not to "show off" how modest they are, but that's just me.

Well stated.

I'm late to the discussion, and didn't veer off into the 17 pages of reply. However, in response to the OP, I offer the suggestion of board shorts for women. Several are knee length and feature fun, contemporary designs. Pair them with a rash guard, and you will look both modest and normal (as in suited to the culture).

I wonder what the bathing suit from the website looks like when it is wet?

I understand. I really don't think those that dress modestly but stand out do it to stand out. I just thought that might be what some meant by too modest. :)

• 5 months later...

I am of the view that when modesty goes so far as to draw MORE attention than if it was relaxed a few notches then one has defeated the purpose.

In my view these suits would do that. I've yet to see someone at the beach or pool in a tshirt and legging suit. I feel that there are more modern and modest options. The past two years have been great for the swim short...a boxer-style short for women to wear over their suit. Swim skirts, tankinis, one pieces- tons of options out there that would garner no second glances or outright stares :)

I got the pattern on ebay? and made one for my dd. She wore it for about 3 yrs as the leggings and skirt part got shorter and shorter. She loved it!!! I did too. We swam with many people and she never got any odd comments, but never at a public swimming pool.

I am of the view that when modesty goes so far as to draw MORE attention than if it was relaxed a few notches then one has defeated the purpose.

:iagree:I know this is an old thread but I so very much agree with this!

I'm neither Christian nor particularly conservative (though not into revealing clothing either - not on myself and especially not on little kids), and think that they're both adorable and practical from a sun-protection perspective. I don't think I'd have any trouble getting my dress-loving 4 year old to wear one, but can see it being more of a problem for a kid old enough to be sensitive about drawing attention to themselves.

I didn't read all 18 pages of replies.....

Too modest in my opinion. Too. much. fabric. And, its really hot and humid where I live, I would literally die of heat in it!!

I have a burning question about all of the modesty styles..... why don't they do things like this with boy's/men's clothes?? They get to have trunks with no shirt... and they get to wear pants. And some of them should not be allowed to wear either!

I do believe in covering the 3 Bs for girl's/women's clothing. I'll let you guess what the 3 Bs are!!

Perhaps there was actual spam above the reporter's post, and it was deleted by the moderators before the rest of us saw it.

Terri

Sorry, ladies, I just happened to be on at the right time, and some guys name with no posts was bringing up a bunch of OLD swim suit threads. The mods were just really on the ball today! :D