Menu

Hypothetically, if you were never going to cook again

So, who ARE these perpetual and never-invited guests? Kids? Adults? Neighbors? I am not understanding why you're under any obligation to feed them at all--can't you say, "P, S, T, you all have to go home now, WE, the LauraGB family, are having dinner now--see you tomorrow?" I know you need to keep your kiddos fed, but why are you responsible for all these free agents? I am totally baffled by the situation.

:grouphug:You're obviously a MUCH, MUCH nicer person than I ever thought of being...

You mean, as their final meal? Or in place of cooking?

If I were cooking one last meal, it would be this fabulous cioppino (fisherman's stew) that takes hours to make and costs a small fortune. Add a small grilled filet mignon, green salad and crusty bread, and I'm done.

In place of cooking, I guess we'd be eating a LOT of peanut butter and canned tuna!

ETA...

Obviously I answered too quickly, before I read the entire thread.

I think, for a good week, I'd just stock the fridge and pantry with a variety of clean foods and then *disappear* from about 4 to 8pm. See what happens. I'm guessing they won't starve. Course I'd have to go grocery shopping every day, because my kids would eat EVERYTHING in the house if I didn't portion it out appropriately.

Edited by AuntieM

In my life, the only hypothetical way I would ever be able to stop cooking is a nuclear holicaust that wiped out my church family as well. These people seriously think that all functions in life must be food related.

Case in point, I received a phone call yesterday (I am miserably sick with upper respiratory crud right now) and it went like this. "Faith, we just found out missionaries from Ghana are going to be visiting Sunday." (Me, cough, sniffle, sputter, sneeze, cough...."Let me guess....the mission's committee wants to have a luncheon.") "Well, why yes. We need you to bring a salad and a dessert." (Cough, sniffle, sputter, sneeze, cough..."That's what I get for missing the meeting tonight because I AM SICK AND SO ARE MY KIDS!") "Oh, well, we just figured you'd be over it by Sunday and we really need you to cook."

Sigh....My mother is on the committee and so is my MIL. So, yeah....I'll be cooking.

Basically, I have to be dead to not cook.

So, I can't even hypothetically imagine how not to cook. AND I HATE COOKING!

Now, in a perfect world, in some world in which I am so rich I can hire the cooking to be done...the chef at Riva's Cafe on Navy Pier, Chicago...is MINE and he would serve me his Halibut in garlic butter sauce with roasted leeks, mushrooms, and fingerling potatoes topped with a sprinkle of alfalfa sprouts. I dont care what he feeds everyone else.

Faith

OK I'm not in a happy mood. They could clean out the remains of the refridgerator, then the pantry, then scrounge for stuff dropped in the van on the last trip.

Or did you mean I would still provide a meal without cooking? I was just thinking of quitting it all. No shop, no prep, no cook.

I would make sure I have raw veggies for me. And cheese. I guess I'd make youngest ate.

Uh-oh, someone must have complained about dinner. That's usually when I threaten this. :D

I'd go with raw food as others have said. I think it's healthier for you and certainly easier.

(I don't know if I could live w/o my beloved eggs, though. )

ETA: Actually read the thread this time. I'd let them eat stuff they don't love for awhile. For my family that would be salads. They'd soon tire of that and beg to help me cook. :)

Edited by Mejane

Exactly. If I forego the Production That Is Dinner, maybe everyone will go away.

(I need to get over myself because what I just typed sounded rude, even to me, but darn it, I meant it:glare:.)

Make premade meals or something. Get some sandwiches ready for supper or premade plates of supper. Get it out to feed your family and when everyone else shows up, tell them that you didn't expect any more people for supper. Then, tell them where the nearest restaurant is.

So, I did it.

For the past several days we've either gone out to eat, ordered in (where we ordered "guests'" food as well, to the tune of $65-$70 each night :glare:) or I served left overs. Well, today, I didn't have time to plan ahead, and I was busy making dinner (a cheesy concoction of broccoli and pasta, homemade baguette & roasted garlic spread), along with making broth for the stuffing and turkey brine and all other manner of Thanksgiving feast options, roasting bread cubes for stuffing, chopping carrots, making dips for tomorrow's festivities - it was a kitchen full of cooking, but no gourmet vegan meal on the side.

They left right after dinner was served and they finally discovered I had not made anything specifically for them. I apologized that I was so busy I didn't have the burners available to make anything else (you know, other than the 7 dinners I was already making, and all the prep for tomorrow), and that I wasn't informed we had "guests", but told them they were welcome to make something for themselves from the fridge/cupboards if they wanted. I passed out many apologies.

I feel bad.

I know I shouldn't, but while I'm not really all that nice to begin with, I'm also not mean...and I feel mean. How stupid is that?!

Ack. :glare: