Menu

Hypothetically, if you were never going to cook again

What a lovely hypothetical thought!

I guess we'd be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fluffer nutter sandwiches, cheese sandwiches, yogurt, apples, bananas, cold cereal, oatmeal (assuming I am still boiling water?), big salads, soup (heated up from the can!).

I asked my kids what we'd eat, and they said Lunchables and Kid Cuisine. Then dd said, "OUT! We'd eat out!"

I suppose that would get old eventually, but it sure sounds like fun right now!

Are you planning to go on strike? :D

Yes.

Last night I ordered from The Olive Garden. Tonight I cut the bread and sliced carrots and cucumbers and onions, washed a couple lettuce leaves, opened a bag of blue chips, and then everyone assembled sandwiches with deli stuff.

Now I'm out of ideas. :tongue_smilie:

Yes.

Last night I ordered from The Olive Garden. Tonight I cut the bread and sliced carrots and cucumbers and onions, washed a couple lettuce leaves, opened a bag of blue chips, and then everyone assembled sandwiches with deli stuff.

Now I'm out of ideas. :tongue_smilie:

Hey, having the idea of going on strike is enough of a good idea for me!;)

I'd go back to the dinners I grew up with in Germany (no one we knew cooked dinner): a platter of fresh fruit & cut-up veggies, healthy deli meats, cheese slices, one or two spreads, and bread. Everyone then makes their own sandwich from what's on the platter with a side helping of fruits & veggies.

For all the other meals, I'd go raw (I bought a great raw foods recipe book awhile back - many of the recipes sound delicious!)...

Can you figure out a way to incorporate not washing dishes into the strike, too? Then I'll join you. :D

Make the kids do it. Home Ec. ;)

There really isn't much when there is no cooking involved. Just a cutting board and a cheese grater/slicer, maybe a knife or two, and each individual's own plate.

Number one choice (and what I send for day camps): Cheese, olives, whole grain crackers/bread, charcuterie fare... plus fruits and maybe nuts. Salads, Milk, yogurt, sandwiches and wraps, nuts and nut butters. Jam. Anchovies... mmmm. Toast? If so, cheese on toast. Boiled eggs allowed if pre-boiled? Cereal. Smoothies.

Your kids are old enough to make spaghetti, french toast, pancakes and eggs, to heat up some soup and make sandwiches. . .

But then there is the dh...

And all of the uninvited dinner guests who magically drop in around 4pm, and stay until...

Daily...

For months...

And me, planning, shopping, prepping, washing, chopping, creating, making, baking, cleaning up (and the kids do help here - or, rather, I help them because I feel bad)...with not one thank you or offer to help clean up at the very least. :glare::glare::glare:

I've verbalized my thoughts about this. And they've gone ignored. Feeling a bit taken advantage of here. I'm done. But I do want my kids to eat well (I'm one of those mamas where if given the choice between teaching my kids or feeding my kids, I'd most certainly feed them).

Hey, having the idea of going on strike is enough of a good idea for me!

Edit: Oops! Inserted wrong quote here...intended the one about joining the strike if dish washing was included...

Make the kids do it. Home Ec.

There really isn't much when there is no cooking involved. Just a cutting board and a cheese grater/slicer, maybe a knife or two, and each individual's own plate.

Solidarity, sisters! :thumbup:

Edited by Gooblink

And all of the uninvited dinner guests who magically drop in around 4pm, and stay until...

Daily...

For months...

And me, planning, shopping, prepping, washing, chopping, creating, making, baking, cleaning up (and the kids do help here - or, rather, I help them because I feel bad)...with not one thank you or offer to help clean up at the very least. :glare::glare::glare:

I've verbalized my thoughts about this. And they've gone ignored. Feeling a bit taken advantage of here. I'm done. But I do want my kids to eat well (I'm one of those mamas where if given the choice between teaching my kids or feeding my kids, I'd most certainly feed them).

Even if you don't get more than a limited list of ideas, just keep doing those over & over. Daily...for months...until they get the picture.

Get out the cereal and the milk jug.

Nuts, cranberries, organic chocolate chips all mixed together. It's wonderful.

Cheese, summer sausage, wasa rye crackers

baby carrots

can of pineapple

tuna

peanut butter and honey

90% dark chocolate bar slathered with natural peanut butter (wait, that's my dinner)

The legendary "weiner meal" that my guys like to laugh about.

When we first moved here, there was a little boy about my older son's age who lived on our street and he often came to our yard to play. My son would often take his meal out on our back patio and eat with his friend. One evening the friend brought his dinner over to eat, too. My husband walked by them and said, "Is that your meal?"

He came inside and said, "Check out ____'s meal when you go out."

It was a hot dog (cold), a cheese stick, and a banana all lined up on a plate....

Needless to say, I fed him....

WHY is this hypothetical? :001_huh:

I would feed them food that Wegman's or Whole Foods had cooked. You know, if you plate it nicely, whose to say you didn't cook it?!:confused:

Dh had chicken marsala, roasted vegetables, and risotto tonight. I did not cook it.;)

OH, and I am reminded of the 'morning of the wedding' scene in SIXTEEN CANDLES when the old fashioned grandma is frying up something and the flashy grandma has a cigare**e hanging out of her mouth, her fingernails are about 4 inches long, and she is struggling to open a box of Chocolate Entenmann's Donuts while old fashioned grandma is trying to keep the cigare**e ashes out of the frying pan. Flashy grandma finally gets the box open without breaking a nail and turns to o/f grandma and says, 'Voila! Breakfast.'

Edited by MariannNOVA

But then there is the dh...

Daily...

For months...

Ahhh. Then you shouldn't be here looking for good ideas. ;) I'd say sandwiches every night until they stop showing up. If that doesn't stop them, you may have to downgrade.

WHY is this hypothetical? :001_huh:

I would feed them food that Wegman's or Whole Foods had cooked. You know, if you plate it nicely, whose to say you didn't cook it?!:confused:

Dh had chicken marsala, roasted vegetables, and risotto tonight. I did not cook it.;)

It's not about who cooked it. Well, it is, sort of. It's about the people who drop in for dinner ALL the time, and the members of her family who don't lift a finger to help her with anything. Meals that don't break out of the norm would not help.

Ahhh. Then you shouldn't be here looking for good ideas. ;) I'd say sandwiches every night until they stop showing up. If that doesn't stop them, you may have to downgrade.

Yeah, I'm thinking that, but if she does do all the fresh veggies/fruit/cheese/crackers/etc ideas, then they'll eat well, but it could get repetitive for them after a while. And it would be less work for her in the meantime.

Even if you don't get more than a limited list of ideas, just keep doing those over & over. Daily...for months...until they get the picture.

That's the plan. So far, I'm setting out bags of nuts, an array of cheeses (some of our uninvited guests are vegan ;)), breads, fruit, raw veggies, a bean dip if I decide to make one. Beat that for balance with a stick!

My problem is that I am vegetarian, my family omnivore (but primarily...what? flexitarian? because I'm the cook), then I make dinner for 3 other people with special diets - this is normal, and all good ...add in the guests; 2 who are vegan and 1 who will eat the plate and everything, and I'm all of a sudden a waitress, short order cook, bus person and dishwasher...every.single. night.

I'm happy with the responses so far. It's easy, I can leave stuff right in the bag and set it on the counter, and everyone can work it out. Hmph.

Fruit, nuts, and cheese.

At first I didn't know what to say, and then I saw this quote.

I don't care to eat store bought bread, or deli meat, or other processed foods. This would be really challenging for me.

Does making humus count as cooking?

Salads.

Hypothetically, if I were never going to cook again, it would be because we got really super rich and I've hired someone to do the cooking for me.

Yeah, I'm thinking that, but if she does do all the fresh veggies/fruit/cheese/crackers/etc ideas, then they'll eat well, but it could get repetitive for them after a while. And it would be less work for her in the meantime.

Exactly. If I forego the Production That Is Dinner, maybe everyone will go away.

(I need to get over myself because what I just typed sounded rude, even to me, but darn it, I meant it:glare:.)

I'd go back to the dinners I grew up with in Germany (no one we knew cooked dinner): a platter of fresh fruit & cut-up veggies, healthy deli meats, cheese slices, one or two spreads, and bread. Everyone then makes their own sandwich from what's on the platter with a side helping of fruits & veggies.

For all the other meals, I'd go raw (I bought a great raw foods recipe book awhile back - many of the recipes sound delicious!)...

Did everyone eat a cooked lunch? What about all that sauerbraten? :001_smile:

That sounds like a great meal to me.

:D Back at you.

I kept it warm in the AGA. And actually, one of the reasons I DO cook (and I just could not tonight) is BECAUSE of that silly AGA.........I LOVE IT!:001_wub:

And, thank you for your kind words earlier.

I am green with envy :D <----see

And, you are quite welcome :001_smile:

Bill

you're making my mouth water. I can eat hummus in a bowl with a spoon.

I've never even HAD hummus. In fact, I think if I said the word "hummus," most of the people I know wouldn't even know it was edible. It's all meat and potatoes around these parts.