Menu

what do boys read....?

My son went through the whole series of Rotten School House. It's not classic reading for sure, but for my boy who thought reading was "BORING", it was a good way to get him into reading. Now, he reads everything!

Rotten School House is about the adventures of some elementary children at a boarding school.

It's silliness, for sure, but it's not yucky stuff. If that makes sense.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

My boys Love Roald Dahl, but I suggest you pre-read it first. If you do not like magic, talking animals, or revenge you will not like these books. If you think the silly and impossible is fun then you will love them.

I recommended them to a friend, she read the Witches first and had a heart attack. She thought it was awful that the grandmother smokes cigars! :lol: In Matilda the parents are pretty nasty and in James and the Giant Peach he crushes his aunts with a giant peach. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is more like the Johnny Depp version than the Gene Wilder one.

Ds enjoyed...

Beverly Cleary (he even loved the Ramona series)

My Father's Dragon trilogy

Hardy Boys books

Cam Jansen

Encyclopedia Brown books

Choose Your Own Adventure books

The Secrets of Droon

All the "magic" books by Edward Eager (Half Magic, Knight's Castle, Magic by the Lake, etc..)

The Indian in the Cupboard series

The Chronicles of Narnia

Harry Potter

Redwall

There are lots more, but this and the previous suggestions should give you a good starting place :)

These might be easy for him but I just finished reading the Moongobble series (Bruce Coville) to our 7.5 yo and he loved them. We have started the Spiderwick series and they are another huge hit. I am also planning to get into Bruce Coville's magic shop series - it starts with "Jennifer Murdley's Toad". BTW these all have magicians/wizards/goblins etc in them.

I recommend:

Anderson, C. W. Billy and Blaze (series)

Bulla, Clyde Robert. A Lion to Guard Us

Cleary, Beverly. The Mouse and the Motorcycle

Dalgliesh, Alice. The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

Degen, Bruce. Commander Toad in Space (series)

Erickson, John R. Hank the Cowdog (series)

Gardiner, John Reynolds. Stone Fox

Hall, Lynn. Barry the Bravest Saint Bernard

Kimmel, Elizabeth Cody. Balto and the Great Race

McCloskey, Robert. Homer Price

Norton, Mary. The Borrowers (series)

Peterson, John. The Littles (series)

Robertson, Keith. Henry Reed (series)

Sharmat, Marjorie Weinman. Nate the Great (series)

Simon, Seymour. Einstein Anderson series

Sobol, Donald J. Encyclopedia Brown: Boy Detective (series)

White, E. B. Stuart Little

My ds8 is in the same place as your son.

We go to the big library (our local one is teeny), and wander around. I pick out a book and read the first page or two to him out loud. If he says, "That might be ok..." we check it out. If he says, "Nah..." it goes back on the shelf. I pick out books that are very skinny. I mean, he's only been happily reading for maybe 6 months now. It was too much of a struggle before. He'll get to the thicker books later.

Then, at home, he reads before he falls asleep. I ask him to read the first chapter (I only get books with large print and short chapters). If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to read it.

We've found an odd assortment of books that he likes. I can't really think of what they are, and your son might or might not like what my son likes.

Some of the books suggested in the thread are of a higher difficulty level than the Magic Tree House books (for example, Beverly Cleary books are still too hard for him), so your son may or may not be ready. Some are too "busy." For example, I reeeeally thought my son would love the "How to train your dragon" book, but it was written sort of like a kid's journal with pictures and kid handwriting in it, and it was just too much for him. But other kids love that sort of thing.

Obviously, I think my way is the best way...to just browse and let your ds say yes or no to each book, then give it a try at home.

P.S. The Magic Tree House books are very straightforward. The kids mean what they say. We've run into a few books where the kids are sarcastic to each other or joke a lot (like in The Time Warp Trio books). My son does NOT get sarcasm or jokes in books. He gets them in real life, but in books, it just confuses him. He takes what is printed on the page literally. So if a kid says, "Yeah, right. I love it," being sarcastic, my son believes the kid loves it. So later when the kid acts like he hates it, my son is confused. You might want to avoid those types of books until he's been away from Magic Tree House books for awhile, until he learns how to read sarcasm or jokes. (This might not be an issue for you...but maybe it's a common issue for kids, I dunno.)

Edited by Garga

...after Magic Tree House books? My 8 year old son is not a big reader, but he has loved reading the MTH books...but he has finished them...and everything I offer to him he turns his nose up at....any sugggestions??

My son's first favorite series was the Spiderwick Chronicles. Lovely illustrations, but can be scary for some kids. Roald Dahl books were great too. After that we moved into Harry Potter, Eragon, Diary of a Wimpy Kid (I personally hate these) and lots of Newberry winners.

The graphic novel Bone is a big hit here too. My son has read it like about 10 times.

...after Magic Tree House books? My 8 year old son is not a big reader, but he has loved reading the MTH books...but he has finished them...and everything I offer to him he turns his nose up at....any sugggestions??

My ds read Captain Underpants. :D

It didn't permanently damage him either. He is now happy in college reading Homer in class, and he just finished The Count of Monte Cristo as a pleasure read. I would really like to say that he had read classics or at least something better than Captain Underpants, but that is what he enjoyed. I feared he'd never outgrow them, but he did. He chose them himself and that made a huge difference. As he grew, he chose more challenging but still terrible books for his free choice. At the same time, I read to him better books and did buddy reading of better books with him.