Menu

Math Mammoth grade 1 for a 4 yo?

blessedmom3

My 4 yo wants to do "school" like her older brothers. Is Math Mammoth 1 very advanced ? She can count to 100 , skip by 5 ,by 2 to 20 , basic addition &sub. ( with the abacus only , not memorized yet) .

She wants to do workbook and I do not like Horizons K ... any other options if Math Mammoth is too advanced for her? She already finished Singapore K and all Rod&Staff preschool books . I have Singapore 1 but I don't think she is ready for that yet.

We love Math Mammoth, but I don't think I would recommend it for the younger ones. Even if they can do the work, I don't think it would be very appealing or encouraging. It is a great "get it done" kind of math, but not very warm and fuzzy. OTOH, Math-U-See might work well. We are using primer and alpha. There are not a lot of problems per page. It is efficient and the way it teaches place value has been great for my kiddos.

We love Math Mammoth, but I don't think I would recommend it for the younger ones. Even if they can do the work, I don't think it would be very appealing or encouraging. It is a great "get it done" kind of math, but not very warm and fuzzy.

:iagree: My son could do the same things at your DD's age, but he would not have been able to handle the format or the sheer amount of problems and such (he's doing level 1 in first grade, and I usually assign half the problems and have him do 2 pages - that's the right amount of work for him, and this is mostly easy stuff for him, so we're going through it quickly).

Also, how is her writing? If she isn't comfortable with writing a lot of numbers, it'd be very difficult.

If you think Singapore 1 would be too much than I agree that MM would be too much as well. But, I started MM 1 when my ds was 4.75yo and we haven't had a problem yet. I used the snapshot tool on adobe to blow up the pages so when he does 1 worksheet it is actually just 1/2 so we are moving very slowly. We are also using CLE 101. We take 2 days to go through each lesson but he LOVES his "green math".

Since MM is similar to SM, what about using Singapore Essential Math? My 4yo is almost finished with it and it has been the perfect amount if work for him. It isn't too much writing and provides enough instruction for his knowledge level. We're starting to phase in Miquon Orange as well because he's been watching his brother go through the Miquon books and wanted something more concrete to go along with the C Rods.

Oh, and EM is much cheaper and easier to use than Earlybird (IMHO) in case you've used EB in the past.

MEP Year 1 slowly might work. My 4.75 is going through it, and sometimes I have to let the math marinate as he trips over the vocabulary.

That was my first thought as well. My DS who turns 5 this week is flying through MEP Reception now and I may have him continue on with Yr 1 once he's done. I don't think he'd be ready for MM 1 based on what I've seen of that.

If you think Singapore 1 would be too much than I agree that MM would be too much as well. But, I started MM 1 when my ds was 4.75yo and we haven't had a problem yet. I used the snapshot tool on adobe to blow up the pages so when he does 1 worksheet it is actually just 1/2 so we are moving very slowly. We are also using CLE 101. We take 2 days to go through each lesson but he LOVES his "green math".

This is what I do for my 5 year old. I don't think I'd use it with a 4 year old though. I would echo MUS Primer. My 4 y/o did that and loved it!

We use MM Addition (the light blue topical series) with my 4yo and she enjoys it very much. I'm thinking of getting her the MM first grade books but I'm not at all hesitant to stop for a while and just play games when she hits a wall or back up and printout some previous pages and do them over until I feel she has a firm grasp on the concept. I think it's all in how you use it. ;)

We started MM 1 with my 5yo who had begun to say "mom, this is too easy" with every k-level program i tried with her. i really didn't want to push her. i let her do as much as she can every day (about a page) and she keeps begging to do it first every day. she loves it. at least so far!

We have math-u-see and math mammoth (we just got this too) and singapore. I think that math-u-see would be the best bet for a 4 year old. Primer was a little too easy for my 5 year old who had the same skills as your dd. I'd vote you start with Alpha which covers the same topics but a bit more in depth.

We will probably be fazing out singapore but I'm not sure yet. My daughter loves it, it just seems a lot more difficult to teach and I hate dealing with the three books. I don't understand why they don't combine the text and workbook.

Ok, thanks , I will hold off for MM.

What about ROd&Staff ?

Memoria Press uses the first half of first grade 1 R&S for their K program. I used it with my dd 6. I will probably use it soon for my dd4 as well, then switch to MM after the first half of grade 1 R&S.

I would suggest looking at McRuffy K Color Phonics. Yes....she will know a lot of it already, but she will just get it all reinforced and she will have FUN. It's very cute and colorful. Show her the samples and see what she thinks. I would hesitate going with 1st grade math at age 4 because at that rate she'll be learning multiplication at age 6. Unless you want her to be that advanced.....but I'm more in favor of taking things a little slower than going too fast. Here's a link to the K samples:

http://mcruffy.com/Samples/K%20Color%20Math%20Sample.pdf

My five year old dd did many preschool books, Abeka Arithmetic K (using MUS blocks instead of memorizing the facts), and most of MUS Primer for fun before she turned 5. So this year I started her on MM 1. So far she is doing fine. The subtraction facts came pretty soon after addition and she doesn't quite have those memorized, but the addition part is going well. If it were me, I would probably do a little more before starting with MM unless you are not going to require memorization of the facts as you go and continue with the abacus or something. MUS will probably be mostly review, but my daughter did enjoy the book. She was able to do much of it by herself. She even got it out yesterday to do a little more in it. If nothing else, MUS is great for cementing place value. That said, you could do MM and just take it slow by doing math games and the suggested computer games that are in the book. (at least they are in the download...not sure about the pre-printed books) My daughter usually does one page a day, but if I was needing to slow it down, I would do 1/2 a page and add in games.

My older two kids are using MM for 3rd and 4th. I am very happy with it.

Angela

My 4 yo wants to do "school" like her older brothers. Is Math Mammoth 1 very advanced ? She can count to 100 , skip by 5 ,by 2 to 20 , basic addition &sub. ( with the abacus only , not memorized yet) .

She wants to do workbook and I do not like Horizons K ... any other options if Math Mammoth is too advanced for her? She already finished Singapore K and all Rod&Staff preschool books . I have Singapore 1 but I don't think she is ready for that yet.

We used Horizons K this year (for K) and it was, eh, okay... :tongue_smilie:My daughter liked it, but she was not challenged by it. My reaction was simply frustration. The TM is so useless, IMO.

We were considering Math Mammoth for 1st this year, when someone gave us Horizons 1. :001_huh: I'm still going to try to get MM1.

One resource we used in the K-4 year was Evan Moor's Skill Sharpener Math (K). I was going to recommend that for your 4 year old, but if she's already done Singapore, I don't know if EM Math K will help her.

Here's the link, though, just in case. My daughter really enjoyed doing this when she was 4 years old, and we plan to do it again in 2011 with the twins who will be 4:

http://www.evan-moor.com/Product.aspx?CurriculumID=4&ClassID=118&SeriesID=122&TitleID=438

HTH.

We tried MM1 at 4 and it was frustrating. It was mostly that my child found the blanks frustratingly small at that age, and most 4s aren't big workbook lovers. I know mine wasn't - she needed the manipulatives because she's a hands-on and visual learner. We did RightStart A instead and she LOVED it. She would even get mad if we didn't do math every day. After doing it for awhile we added Miquon and MEP1 and she enjoys both.

Well, I just got MM today and I put them for sale\ :tongue_smilie:

I will return them if I can't sell. The concepts are great but I don't like the format ...I wish she made it more appealing . I decided to go with R&S

I think the color in the PDF files does make them much more appealing. I love MM, but even I wouldn't use the B&W workbooks, especially for a younger child.

Jackie