Menu

COPD - Anyone familiar with it?

DH was diagnosed with Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) when he retired from the military four years ago. He has never smoked, but had washed and painted airplanes without protective masks in the early 80's, which they have since discovered has caused this.

I have noticed his breathing being more labored lately, more coughing, and some other things that we had thought were allergy related but now I am not so sure. Most recently, he was walking our dog and after walking up the hill he said he felt like he had just run 5 miles. He was that out of breath! Anything out of a normal activity level seems to be difficult for him.

He has an appointment for a referral next week so he can get another breathing test.

I am just wondering if anyone is familiar with this. Have you had any experience with it? What can we expect?

After looking online it seems other than an inhaler there is not really anything that can be done for him. That is scary....

Well in all honesty all I know of it is that my aunt died at 67 from it. Now bear in mind that she smoked for years and had issues with her lungs. I think the worst enemy is all the drugs that they have to pump in(steroids, antibiotics) and what happened to her was drug resistance. I would talk to the Dr about what you can do for him now to alleviate extra strain on his heart. I would seek out homeopathic remedies to counter some of the issues as well. For her modern medicine was her worst enemy. Hugs:grouphug:

Unfortunately, I am all too familiar with it. My grandmother and my Dad had it. Both of them had been smokers and my Dad was a heavy smoker at that so the progression of the disease may be different.

My Dad went for several years with using inhalers/nebulizers to manage the COPD. However,for the first few years after diagnosis, he continued to smoke. Eventually, he needed oxygen at night and then finally, he was oxygen dependent all the time. He contracted bronchitis which would lead to pneumonia very easily so we had to be very vigilant about keeping him away from possible contagions. He almost died from pneumonia several years ago which actually finally prompted him to quit smoking. My Dad died last year of leukemia so I don't know how the disease would have continued to progress.

My grandmother's disease went through a similar progression of disease from nebulizer to some oxygen to full oxygen. She had some other issues as well so she was in a nursing home when she passed. I would say her case was not typical so I won't go into many details. I am sure that since your husband is not a smoker and hopefully not around second hand smoke that his disease would progress at a slow pace. If he is having issues, I would definitely get him evaluated as to hopefully delay and further damage. :grouphug:

MIL and FIL both had COPD after smoking forever.

MIL went to outpatient rehab and said that the exercise made a huge difference for her lung capacity. I'm not sure exactly how it wokrs, but ask about PT/rehab. They should be able to tell him what will help him increase his capacity.

MIL had success with a multi herbal formula called Clear Lungs. It really helped but caused some other nuisance symptoms for her, so she could not continue taking it. Perhaps it would help your dh?

Best wishes.

My father developed COPD after years of asbestos exposure and smoking non-filtered cigarettes.

He tired very easily and was always "winded". He found that stress/anxiety exascerbated the symptoms. He seemed more prone to colds/bronchitis/etc. after developing COPD.

His doctor prescribed an inhaler (can't remember the name) and it seemed to help.

This is a genetic form of Copd. My SO and DD have it, I am a carrier of one of the genes. It is good to know if you have this form of the disease. It can be diagnosed with a blood test, there are specific treatments which can replace the deficient protease and possibly extend the life of someone with this disorder.

The clues for SO was diagnosis at a realatively young age without a long-term history of smoking.

Edited by RhondaJK
spelling and to add more info

This is a genetic form of Copd. My SO and DD have it, I am a carrier of one of the genes. It is good to know if you have this form of the disease. It can be diagnosed with a blood test, there are specific treatments which can replace the deficient protease and possibly extend the life of someone with this disorder.

The clues for SO was diagnosis at a realatively young age without a long-term history of smoking.

My thoughts exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_1-antitrypsin

Also, get a good pulmonologist.

Edited by kalanamak

Unfortunately, the husband of my dh's stepmom just died from it--heavy smoker to the end. He was 76, I think.

That's not to scare you. Sounds like you can get a lot of info about it.

Anything breathing-related can be a tough road. My brother has CF, and had a lung transplant--the difference that good treatment makes is wonderful. COPD can be treated, too.

I have COPD. I was diagnosed 5 years ago at age 40 and a non-smoker. They have no idea why I have it. I get winded, seriously winded. Dusting the house is a major irritant to me so usually one of the kids does it while I'm not home. The same goes for anything with fumes: painting, bug spraying, even fresheners. I have an inhaler for when things are bad but I try to limit my use since I don't like the way it makes me feel and I've been to the ER once because of a severe episode. I still pretty much do what I want to do but I have to take into account that I might feel really crappy during and possibly after. Climbing the stairs at the Jaguars stadium is no picnic, let me tell ya. :D

Access to oxygen is a huge relief but often declined because the saturation levels aren't low enough. When my Dad needed oxygen, a compassionate nurse had him climb the stairs - and then took his levels. I can't tell you how this improved his quality of life for three more years.