Menu

In want of a new cover school for TN.

I am a very hands off homeschooler in TN. I have been with HomeLife Academy since year one of their start up. I've recommended it to many, many people. I am sorry. I withdraw my recommendation. They now require testing in order to receive a diploma. So, anyone have a good replacement recommendation?

Sorry - I'm not in TN, but can I just say I hear you??

Our very hands-off, family-friendly homeschool cover closed last year. I'd love love LOVE to start my own, but you have to be affiliated with a church.

Our new cover is good - they're pretty on top of things - but it's so "schooly". Tests, grade reports, prom, Key Club, class officers, etc etc etc. Crazy.

I thought homeschooling was about NOT trying to imitate the schools. Kwim?

Hope it works out for you, Lolly.

I am a very hands off homeschooler in TN. I have been with HomeLife Academy since year one of their start up. I've recommended it to many, many people. I am sorry. I withdraw my recommendation. They now require testing in order to receive a diploma. So, anyone have a good replacement recommendation?

This may be a stupid question, but why do you need thier diploma?

I'm not giving my daughter a diploma. Her transcript and college entrance exams will stand for themselves. I mean, when was the last time someone asked to see that piece of paper they handed you when you finished high school or college? All I've ever been asked for are transcripts and exam results.

Just a thought.

Oh, and our cover does not issue a diploma. We live in AL.

I'm not giving my daughter a diploma. Her transcript and college entrance exams will stand for themselves. I mean, when was the last time someone asked to see that piece of paper they handed you when you finished high school or college? All I've ever been asked for are transcripts and exam results.

Just a thought.

It may have to do with TN homeschool law, here in pdf . If I'm reading it correctly to homeschool high school without a cover in TN you need a bachelor's degree. Don't know if that is the case with Lolly, but something I looked into at one time.

Just a thought.

TN law. I am not allowed to issue a diploma. In order to be allowed to gain entrance to universities or community colleges, they will need a diploma.

TN law. I am not allowed to issue a diploma. In order to be allowed to gain entrance to universities or community colleges, they will need a diploma.

This is my dd senior year and we have only been asked for transcripts on her college applications. Once again, never have I been asked for a copy of a diploma. As her instructor, you write her transcript. I'm not saying issue her a diploma, I'm saying she doesn't need a diploma for college entrance. That's why colleges want standardized test scores for entrance. If your kid shows a high GPA, but her test scores are low it is a signal to the college that maybe the course work wasn't where it needs to be. That applies to all kids, not just homeschooled kids.

As a college instructor and recent grad school applicant, I never had to produce a diploma, only a transcript and standardized test scores.

What I'm saying is maybe it is much ado about something that in the long run will not be an issue.

We're with Homelife Academy. I haven't heard of their new requirement of testing to graduate. When was this info passed out? I have a senior this year, and no mention of this occurred during his junior transcript evaluation. He's taken the ACT, and would have regardless of requirements. What test are they requiring?

I just went to the Homelife Academy site. I guess I didn't know about the new requirement because my youngest is a senior, and it doesn't apply to this years seniors. Note that they only require you to take the ACT or SAT, they do not have a minimum score. I'm pretty sure Aaron Academy requires a minimum score, but don't quote me on that.

I was curious so I went to the site to check out the testing requirements as well. (I live in Texas which has no oversight for HS-ers, so I am always curious about how things work in other states that have more rules). Since it sounds like your students are college bound and would be taking either the SAT or ACT anyway, I am wondering why that as a requirement for graduation would make you change umbrella schools? I am not trying to be snarky, I am just wondering why it is a problem. If you don't want to explain your reasons, I am cool with that too. Your homeschool, your perogative. I'm just nosey. :D

I was curious so I went to the site to check out the testing requirements as well. (I live in Texas which has no oversight for HS-ers, so I am always curious about how things work in other states that have more rules). Since it sounds like your students are college bound and would be taking either the SAT or ACT anyway, I am wondering why that as a requirement for graduation would make you change umbrella schools? I am not trying to be snarky, I am just wondering why it is a problem. If you don't want to explain your reasons, I am cool with that too. Your homeschool, your perogative. I'm just nosey. :D

For one, I just don't think that there should be any more regulations put on homeschooling. At all. Actually, I don't believe there should be any. At all. I do not want to support furthering regulations. By paying $ to the institutions who require more than absolutely necessary by the state, I feel that I am supporting their position that it should be required. Hey, I even quit attending church because I could not financially support it since I disagreed with many of the beliefs in the doctrine. I feel I would be a hypocrite to financially support an institution that I do not philosophically agree with.

My students are not necessarily college bound. I have two dc with learning disabilities who are going to have a tough time with testing. One has had testing, but it was done when she was 9 and it will NOT be repeated. It was not a good experience and didn't help us at all. (other than getting grandparents off our backs) The second dc, well, I learned with the first one that testing is not worth it. Getting a dx doesn't really change anything. Following their recommendations instead of doing what I know is best just makes things worse. One dc, a senior this year and exempt, simply cannot test in the manner required for these tests. She does not function in the morning and has severe allergies that completely take over by the time she has been in a ps classroom for 2 hours. She also is unable to go without food for the 4 hour testing period. She has never been able to go that long without eating to maintain her blood sugar. Her test results are not at all accurate. I assume there are others who are the same who will be negatively impacted by this decision. My plan for my dc who have put in the work for high school classes but most likely are not going to score well on this test was to graduate and take the placement test at a community college. It is given in a different environment. It is not timed. They are allowed to take a break for a snack. They could just go on from there; most likely taking fewer classes at once to allow success. However, being a high school grad is required to test into the community college. I suppose they would accept a ged, but I just think that is not necessary. They will have completed high school!!!

Why are you not allowed to issue a diploma? :confused:

If they were attending out of state, I might be allowed to get away with it. But, in TN the diploma would not be recognized unless it was obtained "legally". Legally would be through legal homeschooling. Since I am using a category 4 school, we are technically private schoolers. Dc would have to have a diploma from that school. If we were registered through the school system, we would have to meet the requirements they have. Etc....

I have two dc with learning disabilities who are going to have a tough time with testing.

If you end up having to go forward with testing, please note that students with LDs are allowed certain accommodations, depending on the LD (e.g., a lot more time, and possibly no writing portion on the SAT).

Thanks for the heads up on the change that just happened this month.

Here's a note on the HLA faq about testing and special needs:

If you have a special needs student or have any questions or concerns about this requirement, please call to speak with a counselor. We will be happy to work with you.

So, give them a call or email and see what can be done to help on this situation. I really think they'll do something to make it work.

-crystal

If you end up having to go forward with testing, please note that students with LDs are allowed certain accommodations, depending on the LD (e.g., a lot more time, and possibly no writing portion on the SAT).

:iagree: And for students with health issues, such as needing to eat to maintain blood sugar, I'm sure there can be accommodations made and allergy meds taken ahead of time? (I can understand "not liking" the requirements, but when up against a wall...)

With a lot of difficulty getting the accomodations, from my understanding. Actually, too late at this point. You need a good long paper trail. Besides, I will NOT test again. Even the tester apologized because of the state it left dd in. It literally took her over 2 years to recover. To this day, she is now 16, she still cringes when she hears high pitched beeps and has to leave the room.

Thanks for the heads up on the change that just happened this month.

Here's a note on the HLA faq about testing and special needs:

If you have a special needs student or have any questions or concerns about this requirement, please call to speak with a counselor. We will be happy to work with you.

So, give them a call or email and see what can be done to help on this situation. I really think they'll do something to make it work.

-crystal

Actually, I already did. This is the first time in, gosh 9???, 9 years that I have not been called back promptly.:glare: I actually think they will make accomodations for my one with a tested ld (even though it has been so long). Knowing David Parkerson and having worked with him several times, he will probably even give us a pass on all of mine just because. But, I don't want to support this push for more regulations.

I need to check out that Farm School...

edited to add: Farm School! Whoa! they are expensive!!!

Looks like Gateway may fit the ticket however. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by Lolly

:iagree: And for students with health issues, such as needing to eat to maintain blood sugar, I'm sure there can be accommodations made and allergy meds taken ahead of time? (I can understand "not liking" the requirements, but when up against a wall...)

:lol:This girl stays on allergy meds. They only do so much good. Then, you have complications. Using her inhaler during the test would be...interesting. She reacts very strongly to it. Most likely because she is also allergic to steroids. It is a steroid. Oh well, it can let her breath. The eating portion I would not be able to medically prove. It is just something we have dealt with since she was born. Fairly easy. Feed the kid. Unfortunately, the powers that be don't like "Mommy said so" as a reason.:lol:

I use gateway. Have never had any problems, They are willing to answer any ?'s I have promptly, but otherwise leave me alone, other than the 2 times yearly grade reports.

http://www.gatewaychristianschools.com/

We use Gateway, too. They are a little bit slow about cashing your check and sending the registration confirmation; but we haven't had any problems with them.