Menu

Another one bites the dust

okay so there can be a better title but it's how I feel at the moment. I am already feeling like an outcast for homeschooling. More and more of my friends are no longer homeschooling. They are putting them back in. Of course it's different for everyone and hey we almost did it but we are sticking thru HSing. It's hard and harder now that I am a single parenting for the next year or so but the outcome is so worth it. I am now at four who are no longer homeschooling and it sounds as my children get older it we be fewer yet. I guess homeschooling the younger ages are more popular than the older. I am not on the older side yet but will be soon so maybe my views will be different then. Just feeling a little lonely because it's one less thing we have in common and it was nice to have that part in common because honestly I don't have much in common with the families here.

Wow, post like this make me once again so grateful for the amazing support we have within our local homeschool community, especially our church. Where do you live? So sorry you are feeling so alone right now:grouphug: Know that the Lord will indeed pour out His grace to you as you do what you believe He has called you to!!

Blessings,

Kathi

PS Our oldest is a soph this year and Lord willing, we are in it until he graduates ~

Edited by mom26

I know what you mean. A bunch of friends and acquaintances recently put their kids into an admittedly awesome parochial school, and I can't help feeling like we're missing out. It's not for us, and barring a major change in circumstances it will never be for us, so I can only wish them the best and keep on doing what we do.

You have to live your truth. I mean, Many of my HSsing friend have put their kids in school and they rattle on to me how wonderful it is and I DO think about it...but in the end I know it would be wrong for our family. And we're HSing through HS too. I have one in 10th now. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: HAng in there. One day at a time, you know?

Awww, hon :grouphug:.

There may not be a ton of people homeschooling through high school where you are, but there are plenty here. I mean, for some of us, something tragic would have to happen before we would send our kids to school, and likewise for us to leave this forum, which has been such an inspiration to so many. So, you know you've always got support here.

in case it encourages you, my oldest who attends public school and will graduate this may with honors very near the top of her class (is that necessarily redundant?) wishes she had made a different decision.

i am hanging in with little support for various reasons, homeschooling four more and trying to figure out how that will work out since i am now a single parent about to be in the job market. i will continue to come here (mostly lurking!) for the bulk of my support!

hang in there! :grouphug:

I can understand your feelings. Be glad that you did have that time when you had homeschooling friends... I have homeschool acquaintances but no real friends, and same for my kids. We just click more with private and public school families.

And who knows what will change in a year or two, you might meet new hs'ing friends or those pals that have moved on may come back!

Is it just in your circle of friends? Are there no co-ops or support groups in your area with homeschoolers?

I've written in reply to several other posts lately that homeschooling through high school is hard work, but such a rich and fruitful time. It has been such a joy to be with my kids as they mature into young adults, to have great discussions, read through great books together and go out for breakfast or lunch when we need a break. I'm so grateful for the luxury of time I've had with them. Despite the sometimes nitty-gritty frustrations of teens, ;), I still wouldn't trade it.

Offering that up to encourage you to stay the course even if many of your friends aren't.

Many blessings,

Lisa

:grouphug:

We made the decision to HS through high school and I must it admit it's getting lonely. I feel most for my 16 yo dd because where we live, all the teens go to PS for an elective Seminary class. Then it seems they also take Art or Band, etc. and then the next the thing you know they are full time PS.

Well, we're used to being the oddballs so I guess it goes with the territory. I'm very grateful she is in an online class with Apologia for Adv. Bio and loving it and making friends to boot!

I live outside the states in a military community. Being in a miltary community 90% attend the DoD schools. There is no group near us and yes I have tried the group but it did not work out. We been keeping touch with homeschooling friends but one by one they have been starting to put their kids in school and two HSing friends we met here decided to sent them DoD school. I would like to have my children have friends that are both homeschooled and public/private. We hardly see other homeschoolers unless we are on base which isn't often. Just be nice to be yea another homeschooling family to hangout with and not oh they are the homeschooling family living here.

Yeah, my best friend is going to put her kids back into school. She's doing a great job hsing them. I think they're going to attend school for a semester and then she's going to be unhappy with the ps, then she'll take them out again and homeschool.

We're in it for the long haul, tho...unless I'm horribly maimed or we're finally hit by that asteroid...:tongue_smilie:

okay so there can be a better title but it's how I feel at the moment. I am already feeling like an outcast for homeschooling. More and more of my friends are no longer homeschooling. They are putting them back in. Of course it's different for everyone and hey we almost did it but we are sticking thru HSing. It's hard and harder now that I am a single parenting for the next year or so but the outcome is so worth it. I am now at four who are no longer homeschooling and it sounds as my children get older it we be fewer yet. I guess homeschooling the younger ages are more popular than the older. I am not on the older side yet but will be soon so maybe my views will be different then. Just feeling a little lonely because it's one less thing we have in common and it was nice to have that part in common because honestly I don't have much in common with the families here.

<sigh>

We've been the sole survivor of one homeschool group, and are watching the slow death of a second one as we speak (maybe it's us? :tongue_smilie:). We started HS from day one, and will carry on through HS and probably 1/2 of college at this rate, but YES, it's very lonely. Well, actually, alone, not lonely...we're both introverts, so alone is kinda nice! :D)

We've never relied on co-ops, so it has not affected us academically at all...we just miss some of the espir de corps we experienced with other HS families...and the other sad thing is seeing someone drop my DW as a friend faster than a hot potato, once they decide to go to (go back to) PS...makes us wonder if we were ever friends in the first place or just handy tools for people to use. :glare:

I know several people homeschooling high school. Their children are such joys to be around and they are getting out what they are putting into it. Hang in there.

A friend recently said something that I really like. You can put as much or as little as you want into raising kids and the results will show which you chose.

I am loving homeschooling my 2 kids through high school! While their subjects get "harder", they are actually easier to teach, b/c by now my children want to work as independently as possible, so I picked curriculum that allowed them to do just that.

I love the fact that my kids are still sleeping peacefully at 7:30 AM Monday through Friday, when most of their peers have already arrived at school. I love the fact that we can stop what we're doing in the middle of a school day and have an in-depth conversation about college choices, or ACT prep, or "what did you think about the XYZ situation on the news last night?", or "my friend XYZ is having trouble with ABC, how can I help?" I especially love the fact that next year, when my son is in college, he and I can look back on his school years with fun memories of learning together, field trips, reading out loud, doing school in our pajamas, etc. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Take it one day at a time, one year at a time, and don't let well meaning friends or family dissuade you from something that you love doing with, and for, your family.

I'm sorry :grouphug: I have only known two families personally that put their kids in school. One family brought them back home and the other family kept two in and brought two home. So far I am blessed that my kids friends remain part of our homeschool group. As far as I know most plan to homeschool all the way through.

I am sorry you are feeling alone.

I drive by the jr. high once a month ( I have 1 that would be there) and then the high school about every other month. I go as they are getting out of school, and look at the kids. I watch and go home and kiss my kids on the head as they are finishing off their math on line. My oldest (9th grade) says, been driving by the school today mom.

Yep...I make dinner and smile, because he is 14 and talks to me, laughs with his brother and sisters, and has plenty of friends (after school) and loves learning!

:)this is a great post!!! thanks for the encouragement...I needed to hear this as well as we live in a small community and have no friends. It 's lonely and we feel a bit out of the loop when the kids talk with their cousins and ps friends from out of state.

I am loving homeschooling my 2 kids through high school! While their subjects get "harder", they are actually easier to teach, b/c by now my children want to work as independently as possible, so I picked curriculum that allowed them to do just that.

I love the fact that my kids are still sleeping peacefully at 7:30 AM Monday through Friday, when most of their peers have already arrived at school. I love the fact that we can stop what we're doing in the middle of a school day and have an in-depth conversation about college choices, or ACT prep, or "what did you think about the XYZ situation on the news last night?", or "my friend XYZ is having trouble with ABC, how can I help?" I especially love the fact that next year, when my son is in college, he and I can look back on his school years with fun memories of learning together, field trips, reading out loud, doing school in our pajamas, etc. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Take it one day at a time, one year at a time, and don't let well meaning friends or family dissuade you from something that you love doing with, and for, your family.