Menu

Once upon a time (An Antidepressant story)...

there was this couple. At some point, the girl realized she had OCPD. She began taking Prozac. She felt a lot better.

The guy went for counseling & was diagnosed w/ severe episodic depression & ADD. One drug was prescribed for both. He felt very hopeful. He said now they'd live happily ever after.

The girl found it unsettling, though, that they both had prescription-worthy mental issues. In fact, one of her siblings & one of her parents were both diagnosed w/ ADD the year before. Another sib suspected ADD. The other parent suffered from OCPD or bipolar or somethign.

Uncanny. BUT she'd seen the positive improvements on them w/ meds, so...she was suspiciously hopeful. However, she did begin to wonder whether everybody was crazy or just herself, her relatives, & everyone who voluntarily shared her world.

Now. How would you say this story ends?

there was this couple. At some point, the girl realized she had OCPD. She began taking Prozac. She felt a lot better.

The guy went for counseling & was diagnosed w/ severe episodic depression & ADD. One drug was prescribed for both. He felt very hopeful. He said now they'd live happily ever after.

The girl found it unsettling, though, that they both had prescription-worthy mental issues. In fact, one of her siblings & one of her parents were both diagnosed w/ ADD the year before. Another sib suspected ADD. The other parent suffered from OCPD or bipolar or somethign.

Uncanny. BUT she'd seen the positive improvements on them w/ meds, so...she was suspiciously hopeful. However, she did begin to wonder whether everybody was crazy or just herself, her relatives, & everyone who voluntarily shared her world.

In scary unsinkableworld, it'd end badly, because here, even tho the glass is half full, it is half full of tragedy.

I can imagine a calamity on a trip to the grocery store.

Please tell me everything is OK.

Has one of the kids been diagnosed ADD, too?

In scary unsinkableworld, it'd end badly, because here, even tho the glass is half full, it is half full of tragedy.

I can imagine a calamity on a trip to the grocery store.

LOL--I'm like that! Ds was recently discussing an alien-vs-humans apocalypse, & I mumbled how in the case of an intergalactic war, we'd probably be too insignificant to bother w/ at all, so life would be likely to go on as usual.

Dh started dying laughing. "That's the ultimate pessimist outlook," he said. Really? Yeah, you're too insignificant to even bother being wiped out. :lol:

It's a story. You have to tell ME the ending. :D

Well, statistically speaking, if ADD is genetic, then that seems highly likely doesn't it? :tongue_smilie:

I have known 5 people who have told me that they have taken anti-depressants for extended periods of time. 4 out of 5 of them were very 'normal and natural' seeming during that period. The 5th one got really odd, she kind of acted like she didn't care about anything. She made jokes about her kids maybe wandering out into the street and stuff. She was a lot happier but I worried about whether she was still really responsible and such. But the others were really more 'themselves' on the AD's--they seemed like they were just a tiny bit more vivid, and in one case, less angry/sensitive, than they had been without the drugs.

ADD is very well understood. The drugs up the 'control' part of the brain to levels where it can compete with the 'out of control' parts, and don't seem to cause any problems as long as they are not overdosed.

So I expect a very good outcome.

I expect all of these people to be more like their best selves all the time. I expect them to have the self-awareness to understand that medicine is just compensating for imbalances, and that they are still good people. I expect them to be thankful to God that he has enabled good doctors to be helpful in this circumstance, as in so many others. I expect them to serve God and love each other more because they are less hampered. And that's all good!

I expect all of these people to be more like their best selves all the time. I expect them to have the self-awareness to understand that medicine is just compensating for imbalances, and that they are still good people. I expect them to be thankful to God that he has enabled good doctors to be helpful in this circumstance, as in so many others. I expect them to serve God and love each other more because they are less hampered. And that's all good!

:hurray:

Oh, bravo!!

I would say that they all looked around in wonderment at all they had been able to accomplish while dealing with so many difficulties, and then went forward to accept and enjoy life with a whole new level of understanding and joy. God is so good.

:grouphug:, Jackie

The girl woke up to find her man bringing her breakfast in bed, and 3 delightfully happy, healthy children telling her they'd already completed all the chores on the list she had, in real life, left out the night before, and had also finished everything except their read aloud, which she reached for joyfully as her children then scampered merrily into bed with her.

I can imagine a calamity on a trip to the grocery store. A little Effexor will take care of that type of thinking.:glare:

Insinkable and I live on the same planet: Planet Traumatic Worldview...........I still live here, even with Effexor.:001_huh:

The story doesn't end. They all start feeling guilty about being on the drugs, try to wean themselves off, then go back on them, then the drugs stop working so they try different ones, then feel guilty and go back off them. Then feel guilty and go back on them. It wouldn't be so bad except they don't all go on and off at the same time.

Ergh. I don't really like this story.

Rosie

I think everyone is a bit crazy. It is the 'normal' people that worry me.

But when I first read this I thought of the comedic possibilities, but that is my crazy coming out.

The story doesn't end. They all start feeling guilty about being on the drugs, try to wean themselves off, then go back on them, then the drugs stop working so they try different ones, then feel guilty and go back off them.

And by then the fad of absolutely everybody having a diagnosis so everyone can label the fact that sometimes life is a drag (and then you die) as an illness is over, and everyone gets to go off everything.

Well in the story I know...the mom wonders if it's possible just to get the prozac added to the family water source...

:lol:

Of course, when I lived in that state (assuming I'm correct about where you live), people were still protesting the idea of fluoride in the water, so it might be hard to arrange. ;)

They went blissfully along until December 2012 and then the world ended. Except not everything really ended. Zombies came from Texas (I've seen the warning signs) and worked their way to Florida where they went up into space in a rocket. Then we had zombies in space, which stressed out all the people NOT on anti depressants. The people who were on medication ended up ruling the new world and they lived happily ever after.

And by then the fad of absolutely everybody having a diagnosis so everyone can label the fact that sometimes life is a drag (and then you die) as an illness is over, and everyone gets to go off everything.

Phew, there was a sequel, and it was better than the original!

They went blissfully along until December 2012 and then the world ended. Except not everything really ended. Zombies came from Texas (I've seen the warning signs) and worked their way to Florida where they went up into space in a rocket. Then we had zombies in space, which stressed out all the people NOT on anti depressants. The people who were on medication ended up ruling the new world and they lived happily ever after.

Oh there's one in every crowd, isn't there? :001_rolleyes: :lol:

Then, after a period of isolation, they decided to reinstate an ancient idea, and thus, exchange student programs were reborn.

:D

Rosie

Phew, there was a sequel, and it was better than the original!

Oh there's one in every crowd, isn't there? :001_rolleyes: :lol:

Then, after a period of isolation, they decided to reinstate an ancient idea, and thus, exchange student programs were reborn.

:D

Rosie

Then Rosie got to travel to Africa and the US, while Aubrey and family decided this was the time for an international relocation. They found someone that would transport all the books for free. :D The zombies in space were taken out by a giant meteor, thereby deflecting it from its original destination, Earth. Earth rejoiced because the zombies saved the world, they got Bruce Willis to star as the zombie leader in the movie (wait, that sounds familiar), the unity flowed through the world and beauty contestants all over the universe rejoiced because they finally had world peace. ....All because two people decided to take medication.

So it's a love story, adventure story, hero's quest, and horror movie all at the same time. Sort of like real life anyway.

:smilielol5:

And My Librarian is a Camel had to be reprinted to include a special chapter on Aubrey and her husband who work six months a year taking books to the Wodaabe and the other six months of the year in Papua New Guinea, because the two of them couldn't make up their mind which to stick with so did both. ;)

:smilielol5:

And My Librarian is a Camel had to be reprinted to include a special chapter on Aubrey and her husband who work six months a year taking books to the Wodaabe and the other six months of the year in Papua New Guinea, because the two of them couldn't make up their mind which to stick with so did both. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

How many pounds of books can a camel carry? Perhaps I should hire one to move all my books, although the journey would be long.

:grouphug: Aubrey :grouphug:

I have known 5 people who have told me that they have taken anti-depressants for extended periods of time. 4 out of 5 of them were very 'normal and natural' seeming during that period. The 5th one got really odd, she kind of acted like she didn't care about anything. She made jokes about her kids maybe wandering out into the street and stuff. She was a lot happier but I worried about whether she was still really responsible and such. But the others were really more 'themselves' on the AD's--they seemed like they were just a tiny bit more vivid, and in one case, less angry/sensitive, than they had been without the drugs.

ADD is very well understood. The drugs up the 'control' part of the brain to levels where it can compete with the 'out of control' parts, and don't seem to cause any problems as long as they are not overdosed.

So I expect a very good outcome.

:iagree::iagree:

OCPD...FUN! I have OCD with hypochondria and anxiety. Without Lexapro, my life ceases to move forward and I lay in a fetal position worrying that cancer is eating my body without my knowledge, or that someone is going to die..or that I am going to die. The thoughts that go through my mind in those times make nightmares pale in comparison. Medication saved my life...and my sanity. That is a true story. sad, but true.

:lol::lol::lol:

How many pounds of books can a camel carry? Perhaps I should hire one to move all my books, although the journey would be long.

400 pounds, I think the book said :)

I'm not making light of depression at all. I had a short bout during my last pregnancy that I am SO GLAD WENT AWAY and my mother has had it for most of my life so I knew exactly what to be afraid of.

Rosie

Everyone lives happily ever after at the end. All stories end that way. If everyone isn't living happily ever after, it's just because you haven't gotten to the end yet. :)

In our story we've realized that "normal" doesn't necessarily equate with "happy", and "crazy" doesn't necessarily equate with "miserable". We have come to like our particular blend of crazy and the various chemicals that help it to be a (generally) happy corner of chaos--in the sense of allowing us to be free to be "real", not in the sense of being medicated into a blissful stupor...lol. (And of course there are still enough "plot twists" going on to keep us assured that it's not all over with yet. ;) )

I would say that they all looked around in wonderment at all they had been able to accomplish while dealing with so many difficulties, and then went forward to accept and enjoy life with a whole new level of understanding and joy. God is so good.

:grouphug:, Jackie

How can something so simply said be so PERFECT?! :iagree::iagree::iagree: It's just perfect.

I'd also gently suggest the woman is over thinking things and should accept that the blessing of happiness, whether helped by medication or not, needs to be appreciated. Just appreciated. Shut off all other thoughts.

Women over think. It's just how we are. It takes effort to turn it off but can become habit. I've worked at that and do well now. Still, I do have times where I'm simply not ABLE to shut something off until I've thought it through.

I have two siblings, both who have severe, debilitating mental illness. My sister is a hoarder, compulsive shopper, bipolar, and I am certain she also has some sort of schizophrenia. I have a brother who is a paranoid schizophrenic. Neither lead normal lives. I also had a paranoid schizophrenic aunt. I prayed and prayed and prayed over all my babies, praying against mental illness. I have one with ADHD, and I hope that's the extent of it. I sometimes allow myself to get caught up in the fear of those diagnosis and what they can bring to future generations. I sometimes can't wait for a decade or two to pass so I can watch my kids grow up HOPEFULLY mentallyhhealthy. But I realize that I have to live for today because I may not have tomorrow, so I try not to think of those things but instead focus on my blessings today. It's not always easy, especially with a RAD child, but I do try.

And, my favorite thing in the world to do is laugh until my stomach feels like it's going to split open. That's just more fun.:tongue_smilie:

<snipped> ...the unity flowed through the world and beauty contestants all over the universe rejoiced because they finally had world peace. ....All because two people decided to take medication.

So it's a love story, adventure story, hero's quest, and horror movie all at the same time. Sort of like real life anyway.

...OR, it's an incredibly long advertisement for the latest, greatest happy pill. Complete with Guy-With-Low-Voice-Who-Talks-Too-Fast who reminds us at the end, while the credits are rolling, that taking this pill may cause intestinal bleeding, bloating, kidney failure, loss of appetite or massive weight gain- whichever you don't need of course, blurred vision, rainbow vision, seeing stars, seeing little birdies, gambling, helium-inhaling tendencies, hoarding homeschool curricula, flushing the entire contents of the fish tank instead of cleaning it already, ...

...OR, it's an incredibly long advertisement for the latest, greatest happy pill. Complete with Guy-With-Low-Voice-Who-Talks-Too-Fast who reminds us at the end, while the credits are rolling, that taking this pill may cause intestinal bleeding, bloating, kidney failure, loss of appetite or massive weight gain- whichever you don't need of course, blurred vision, rainbow vision, seeing stars, seeing little birdies, gambling, helium-inhaling tendencies, hoarding homeschool curricula, flushing the entire contents of the fish tank instead of cleaning it already, ...

Thumbs growing from your forehead...

a