Menu

School Districts Close School Libraries

This might have been discussed back over the summer, but I just ran into it. There are school districts in California that are closing all of their school libraries.

Folsom Cordova Unified Schools

Natomas Unified School District

I like the mention in the first article that the district kept the sports program while laying off all of the librarians and library support staff.

This is quite common here. Anything BUT sports will take the hit. Apparently, if the sports budget takes a cut or doesn't get an increase each year, angry fathers turn out and verbally abuse the school board but these same fathers don't seem to care about the quality of education.

Our local school district has had the entire music department paid for the last 22 years through the parents who have done fund raisers, applied for grants, etc. They put together a base amount of money, invested it, and use the interest to try to keep up with increased costs. There is one band director and one general music teacher, entirely funded through the efforts of the "music parents". The sports budget had a 20% increase this year. Meanwhile, two kindergarten teachers were cut and the average K room will now have 42 students and unless parents volunteer, no teacher help!

Oh, speech therapy is down to 10 minutes per week and in a group setting, not one on one! So much for getting kids any real help. But, the state only mandates that the school provide the service but not how much they provide.

Faith

No surprise there. They always figure the teachers can have a few books in their rooms, so libraries are an unneeded luxury. And for research, the kids can always go to the public library (which does not usually stock 40 books on report topics, since that's what school libraries are for). A good library can do so much more than supply a few books to the kids! But that's almost never appreciated, nor is the difficulty of building a library back up if it opens again one day.

This is quite common here. Anything BUT sports will take the hit. Apparently, if the sports budget takes a cut or doesn't get an increase each year, angry fathers turn out and verbally abuse the school board but these same fathers don't seem to care about the quality of education.

Our local school district has had the entire music department paid for the last 22 years through the parents who have done fund raisers, applied for grants, etc. They put together a base amount of money, invested it, and use the interest to try to keep up with increased costs. There is one band director and one general music teacher, entirely funded through the efforts of the "music parents". The sports budget had a 20% increase this year. Meanwhile, two kindergarten teachers were cut and the average K room will now have 42 students and unless parents volunteer, no teacher help!

Oh, speech therapy is down to 10 minutes per week and in a group setting, not one on one! So much for getting kids any real help. But, the state only mandates that the school provide the service but not how much they provide.

Faith

Well, I have seen districts that cut something popular as a way of emphasizing the need to pass a school levy. The district my dh went through has a history of cutting bus service for a semester or more until levies are passed.

I might think the libraries are something similar, except I've read elsewhere about how many schools are not staffed with a librarian (degreed or otherwise).

I can't express how sad the idea of a school without a library makes me. I have so many dear memories of my elementary library. I can't imagine what school would have been like without that, even with classroom libraries. And of course the quality of a classroom library depends on what the teacher can and will invest in it. My SIL has put thousands of dollars and many hours into amassing good books for her room. But is that something that each teacher should be expected to do?

The elementary school one of my kids attends had no librarian for a while. Now we do, but PE is down to one day and there's half a music teacher (not hired yet, and it is October). And this is with parents raising the money for one FTE.

Something is really broken -- from where I sit, it is a mix of lack of parental responsibility/involvement, teachers' unions, and stagnant bureaucracy. Sadly, there are a lot of passionate and talented teachers trying their best, in a frustrating system.

This is not news where I live.

We lost our paid librarians 15 years ago.

However, there is one school I toured recently, the poorest elementary school in our large, urban district, that has a WONDERFUL library. They applied for and received a grant from Target, along with a lot of volunteer work, and their library is air conditioned (unlike the classrooms) with lots of computers and a WONDERFUL book collection--many, many books, old and new. This creates a center around which the whole school can revolve. Volunteers can come into the library and ask to read to a child and be assigned 1-3 kids after school any day; the children hope that people will show up, and they love to be read to or to read to the adults.

I visited there along with my DD's community service class, and got completely sucked in. I think I'm going to be starting a girls' academic club there...reading to the kids weekly, and talking about stories and dreams with them, and maybe tying in some science and/or history as well. The principal is wonderful.

I have always felt like if I'm going to homeschool my DD, I should also help at an underpriviledged school as well at some point to give back. I think I may have found the one.

What is truly amazing is that we spend more money per student than any other developed country - and yet we have a completely broken school system. Yet - the Unions want us to throw more money at them???? The top-heavy administrations and beaurocracy is what is broken - and the new "Let's let the kids read whatever they want so they love readong!".... Yeah - love reading worthless, mind numbing, twaddle.

The elementary school one of my kids attends had no librarian for a while. Now we do, but PE is down to one day and there's half a music teacher (not hired yet, and it is October). And this is with parents raising the money for one FTE.

Something is really broken -- from where I sit, it is a mix of lack of parental responsibility/involvement, teachers' unions, and stagnant bureaucracy. Sadly, there are a lot of passionate and talented teachers trying their best, in a frustrating system.

I could see not having a librarian with a degree, or having a part timer, or even having the teachers bring kids into the library staffed by volunteers. But it sounds like the second district is going all the way to actually shutting down the libraries.

Although Van Zant emphasized that the libraries would be reopened once the budget crisis ends, K–5 students will find their school library collections inaccessible behind locked doors for the 2010–11 academic year.

What is truly amazing is that we spend more money per student than any other developed country - and yet we have a completely broken school system. Yet - the Unions want us to throw more money at them???? The top-heavy administrations and beaurocracy is what is broken - and the new "Let's let the kids read whatever they want so they love readong!".... Yeah - love reading worthless, mind numbing, twaddle.

Please don't blame the administrators across the board. In local school districts, administration has been cut to the barest, and they are the ones giving up their benefits and pay raises, not the teachers or support staff. It's dealing with all the federal and state government red tape (Race to the Top, anyone?) that is breaking his school system. All the teachers point fingers at the "bloated administration." Ha! They get to eat lunch each day and keep their health benefits and raises. My dh doesn't. No one in their right mind would go into public school administration because it's a great job; they do it to make a difference. Many leave for greener pastures, but those who stay are working hard to fight for their schools.

The teacher unions and the schools of education have our school systems in a death grip. That, government interference, our culture of ignorance, and a lack of parenting are the problems.

In our area, the sports programs are not self-supporting. There are six full-time coaches - salaries comparable to the other high school teachers and full benefits and they do not teach any high school or middle school classes but they do provide some tutoring for students whose grades might not be high enough to participate - although, the students only need a D+ in order to stay on the teams. All students and parents can attend the games for free. Non-students and other relatives/friends pay one dollar. The student council runs the concession's stand and keeps the profit for student events.

It's completely ridiculous!

Faith

Is it possible the sports programs are not cut because they support themselves? IE bring enough money into the school that cutting them does not make sense? I know this definitely happens at the college level.

No way, not here. Some of our high schools have stadiums the size of the one at my university (okay, a 100 years ago). They have not closed the libraries yet, but they have cut book space to make way for more media technology.

All that time, money & space for the pursuit of something so incredibly temporary as high school football... I personally find it very difficult to comprehend. (And my ds played high school football, so I'm not unsympathetic to guys who love to play football.)

Athletics are rarely cut in CA schools because P.E. is mandated by law. We have a huge problem with obese kids in this state. I'm just stating the facts and not my opinions about that fact.

School librarians are usually funded by school site funds. Individual school councils (principal, parents, & teachers make up the council) pick and choose what they want to keep. For example, at my husband's school they kept their librarian but had to let their computer technician and counselor go.

In my friend's school they let the librarian go and kept the school security guard.

It isn't as easy of a decision as one might think.

Edited by Daisy

The "Classical ideal" of education includes athletics as a core component. One should have a strong body AND a strong mind.

Neglecting physical education is neglecting a vital component in the life of a young person.

Don't be "anti-Classicists" :D

Bill

The "Classical ideal" of education includes athletics as a core component. One should have a strong body AND a strong mind.

Neglecting physical education is neglecting a vital component in the life of a young person.

Bill

:) The ancient Greeks, who we classicists adore, were all about sports. Naked sports, even.

I grew up with no school library and my kids both went to schools with no libraries, so this is nothing new to me.

I just wanted to add that these particular districts mentioned by the OP have new, extensive/expensive public libraries that interlibrary loan with about 5 counties. Both of these districts are relatively small and at least in Folsom/Cordova there is one of those new public libraries within walking distance from most of the elementary and the one middle school. Plus, the new high school (one of two) in that district actually has a public library on campus.

Besides, with the schedules in school and the teachers complaining that they barely have time to teach the basics, who has time to visit the school library during school hours?

I grew up with no school library and my kids both went to schools with no libraries, so this is nothing new to me.

I just wanted to add that these particular districts mentioned by the OP have new, extensive/expensive public libraries that interlibrary loan with about 5 counties. Both of these districts are relatively small and at least in Folsom/Cordova there is one of those new public libraries within walking distance from most of the elementary and the one middle school. Plus, the new high school (one of two) in that district actually has a public library on campus.

Makes a big difference. Thanks for pointing this out.

Bill

You have a valid point. It's not that I'd advocate the elimination of PE or competitive sports teams. It's just that it's so unbalanced. Like a giant bobble-head... but with a big football waggling around on top...

Well, let's be fair. I think they do cut athletics-some of the lesser "popular" ones-like girls water polo and la crosse... And while I wouldn't say that the athletics programs around here are self-supporting, they do bring in money. At hs dd plays for, athletes have to buy student body cards which are $25, there is admission charged at all of the football and basketball games, and some of the track events. The two high schools around here couldn't play home field football games because they had to raise money for 2+ years to build a decent field.

Plus, if you think about it, how many kids get to college on athletic scholarships? If you start cutting high school sports you start taking away a viable path to college for a lot of kids.

You have a valid point. It's not that I'd advocate the elimination of PE or competitive sports teams. It's just that it's so unbalanced. Like a giant bobble-head... but with a big football waggling around on top...

Now you know that's because football is a sport that brings in big $$$ or at least has high attendence and the potential for big $$$.

Now you know that's because football is a sport that brings in big $$$ or at least has high attendence and the potential for big $$$.

Schools in SC where my sisters live are terrible in a lot of ways...but don't touch their football teams! It's like a lifeline to the communities. (and yes, they are Clemson fans)

Yes. This is true in many areas. (And not so true in others). We have an excellent library system here as well, and it was typical to see children walking from school to the library. Is it even fiscally responsible to have a hugely costly and decked out elementary school library when a wonderful town library already exists next door?

I also think it's reasonable to assume that a thoughtful elementary level teacher has a decent collection of paperback lit in the classroom itself.

I'm in the camp of" Everyone Gets a Library!" I wouldn't mind diverting some of taxes towards such a goal. :)

Besides, with the schedules in school and the teachers complaining that they barely have time to teach the basics, who has time to visit the school library during school hours?

Edited by LibraryLover

The Texas public school system spends MILLIONS on one high school stadium. The nightly news carries footage of hs football games.

When the libraries aren't being used, why would they keep them open?

Our branch is used heavily for the internet and more recently laptops.

One good thing: four stations of Rosetta Spanish.