Menu

It feels so wrong...

jenn-

I would be happy with a short term result. I'm pretty convinced she has ADD, but DH doesn't agree. As DH feels more focused on his days when he drinks his coffee (he has ADD), he said start with some coffee and if she focuses, then we could pursue it further.

Is it the caffeine you want? Hand her a can of Mt. Dew.

Unfortunately, this would also increase her sugar load by a ton. They don't have any soda with the rare exception of Sprite if we are out to eat. Good idea though.

I gave up on the coffee. She just wouldn't drink it. I wasn't trying to make her drink it black. It had more cream and sweetener (but not nearly as much as a soda) in it, than coffee. She ate 5 chocolate covered espresso beans instead.

No, it doesn't. Brewed tea averages 40mg per cup. Brewed coffee averages 100mg per cup. Tea does taste better though. So, give kidlet 2 cups of tea?

And then they'll want to pee ever five minutes ;) Coffee will just make it easier to poo LOL!

Still voting for coffee. OP, have you tried flavoured dairy creamer? (I blame the flavoured creamers for why my kids are constantly trying to steal MY coffee)

My ds#3 was drinking coke every morning at breakfast. He said that he thought it helped him focus. I thought he just liked coke. I took him in for academic testing (looking for learning issues) with a psychologist. In the course of our discussion I mentioned the coke intake. After testing she said he came out borderline ADD (not ADHD) and she felt he was "self-medicating". Apparently he had found something that worked for him. She said to allow him to continue as long as the calories weren't a problem (he's a skinny kid).

That was a couple of years ago. In the past several months he has transitioned to coffee. He probably drinks about 1-1.5 cups a day throughout the day. He says it helps, and I can see some benefits to it. Or perhaps he has just outgrown the ADD? I dunno....but I'm OK with it as long as he thinks it helps.

He also likes the Starbucks Mocha Cappuccino available at the local grocery.

Has any one tried No-Doz or any other brand of caffeine pill in their self-medicating ADD experiment?

I have long wanted to get some for ds7, who has some form of undiagnosed attention issues, just to see what would happen - I think half a tablet, something like that. He won't drink soda (and forget about the coffee. now, dd9 is different - I have to shoo her away from my cup, but I suspect it's the large amounts of cream and sugar :D)

FWIW, I have noticed somewhat improved attention in ds7 when he is having both probiotics and his cal/mag/zinc liquid vitamin regularly. Unfortunately we keep falling off the wagon. I wonder if ds7's attention issues are more nutrient-related rather than being actual add/adhd.

So, OP, how about No-Doz, or perhaps diet mountain dew? (maybe half a can?) I think the no-doz can be crushed and added to applesauce or whatever.

If you do manage to get caffeine into your child, please report on the results of your experiment.

And then they'll want to pee ever five minutes ;) Coffee will just make it easier to poo LOL!

Still voting for coffee. OP, have you tried flavoured dairy creamer? (I blame the flavoured creamers for why my kids are constantly trying to steal MY coffee)

I used hazelnut flavored creamer in it. She actually said it was too sweet. Maybe I should have just handed it to her black. I don't know when I will be able to convince her to try it again. I may have to break open a diet Coke for her. As much as I don't like the idea of the diet soda for her, it is the only thing we have around here. I just need to get enough caffeine in her in 1 dose to see if it has any effect.

I'd be really careful with the espresso beans. They can be harsh on the stomach. When I eat those I get a terrible stomach ache.

When I first started drinking coffee I would get a shot of espresso and pour it over a cup of ice, add a little half-and-half, and a half of a packet of nutra-sweet (though I wouldn't use that now). It was quite tasty.

If you want more caffeine, and less to drink, try making coffee concentrate. I'll find a link to a recipe. You basically soak coffee grounds over night, then strain out the grounds, and are left with a liquid that is concentrated and has less acidity. It's great for making cold coffee drinks, and has a higher concentration of caffeine, so you don't need to drink as much to get results. And it's easier on the stomach.

I'd love a recipe and maybe a recipe for a mixed coffee drink that would hide the flavor of the coffee. Who knew the day would come that I would be trying to force caffeine down my child's throat?!?

I'd love a recipe and maybe a recipe for a mixed coffee drink that would hide the flavor of the coffee. Who knew the day would come that I would be trying to force caffeine down my child's throat?!?

FWIW, I adore Mint Mocha Frappucinos from Starbucks... They're like crack.... for caffeine addicts....

FWIW, I adore Mint Mocha Frappucinos from Starbucks... They're like crack.... for caffeine addicts....

Even worse, if you are in the mid Atlantic states...SHEETZ lattes. My former midwife about had a fit with me one day. I had one of those at 5am (had to drive hubby to work so I could have the van) to help keep my morning sickness at bay. My appt with the midwife was at 2pm. I'd only had a sandwich that day. My sugars were extremely, and unusually, high. Yep, it was the latte. Sheetz is horrible for caffeine and sugar content.

Is it the caffeine you want? Hand her a can of Mt. Dew.

Mt.Dew has much less caffeine than coffee. It was not enough to help my ds. As for the results, it did help some, but the results were not consistent and it only lasted 3 hours or so.

We ended up going with meds about 2 weeks ago and the results have been miraculous! My ds's problems are very severe, though, and part of a greater problem overall. YMMV.:D

I would give a kid coffee over a caffeine pill.

I gave mine caffeine pills periodically, but the effect would only last that same 3 hours or so. His ped was a little concerned about the effects of too much caffeine on the heart, but his current med has the same effect. I was leery of meds for along time, and I still wouldn't give them to a child that couldn't cope any other way.

On meds my 9yo is the friendly, outgoing, well-behaved boy that I raised him to be. Yesterday he didn't get his meds and the difference is astounding. I don't know how we lived for so long with the way things were. He feels so much better on meds that I am sorry that I waited so long.

This may affect future military service, but my dh pointed out that there was no way he was going to be military the way he was anyway!

I gave mine caffeine pills periodically, but the effect would only last that same 3 hours or so. His ped was a little concerned about the effects of too much caffeine on the heart, but his current med has the same effect. I was leery of meds for along time, and I still wouldn't give them to a child that couldn't cope any other way.

On meds my 9yo is the friendly, outgoing, well-behaved boy that I raised him to be. Yesterday he didn't get his meds and the difference is astounding. I don't know how we lived for so long with the way things were. He feels so much better on meds that I am sorry that I waited so long.

This may affect future military service, but my dh pointed out that there was no way he was going to be military the way he was anyway!

Does your DS have hyperactivity issues as well? DD does not, so for us it is/will be harder to determine success. Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I hate the idea she is silently suffering, as she has always had attention issues.

I have long wanted to get some for ds7, who has some form of undiagnosed attention issues, just to see what would happen - I think half a tablet, something like that. He won't drink soda (and forget about the coffee. now, dd9 is different - I have to shoo her away from my cup, but I suspect it's the large amounts of cream and sugar :D)

FWIW, I have noticed somewhat improved attention in ds7 when he is having both probiotics and his cal/mag/zinc liquid vitamin regularly. Unfortunately we keep falling off the wagon. I wonder if ds7's attention issues are more nutrient-related rather than being actual add/adhd.

So, OP, how about No-Doz, or perhaps diet mountain dew? (maybe half a can?) I think the no-doz can be crushed and added to applesauce or whatever.

If you do manage to get caffeine into your child, please report on the results of your experiment.

Mt. Dew has 52 mg. but I can't remember if that is per serving or per can. I think it is per serving so half a can would be half as much as a cup of coffee. A whole can would be the same as a cup of coffee. I can't get my kids to drink a whole soda but I have to beat them off the coffee.

Mine is ineligible for service anyway. He is severely hearing impaired and wears hearing aids. I've been assured that he'll never pass the physical.

Does your DS have hyperactivity issues as well? DD does not, so for us it is/will be harder to determine success. Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I hate the idea she is silently suffering, as she has always had attention issues.

Hyperactivity as in randomly yelling out, constant movement, seeks to annoy other people in order to get the sensory stimulation he needs, screaming as he runs across the house, etc. However, he is *also* the inattentive type. Bad combination!

The medication has helped everything from ending the daily rages to improving (greatly) his handwriting and ability to copy words. I think without he would never be able to read, but now I have hope.

Mt. Dew has 52 mg. but I can't remember if that is per serving or per can. I think it is per serving so half a can would be half as much as a cup of coffee. A whole can would be the same as a cup of coffee. I can't get my kids to drink a whole soda but I have to beat them off the coffee.

Mt Dew has 54 per 8 ounces and coffee has 115 or so per 7 ounces. My ds needed at least 100 mg for it to make a difference. A whole can of MD only has 81, so not quite enough.

Hyperactivity as in randomly yelling out, constant movement, seeks to annoy other people in order to get the sensory stimulation he needs, screaming as he runs across the house, etc. However, he is *also* the inattentive type. Bad combination!

The medication has helped everything from ending the daily rages to improving (greatly) his handwriting and ability to copy words. I think without he would never be able to read, but now I have hope.

I know you said your dc has other issues, but how bad is his ADHD? (I'm assuming it's ADHD since you mentioned the hyperactivity.) Can you describe a typical, unmedicated day? What sensory-seeking behaviors does he have? I'm very hesitant to get a diagnosis for my ds8, but if it will ultimately improve his life....

I know you said your dc has other issues, but how bad is his ADHD? (I'm assuming it's ADHD since you mentioned the hyperactivity.) Can you describe a typical, unmedicated day? What sensory-seeking behaviors does he have? I'm very hesitant to get a diagnosis for my ds8, but if it will ultimately improve his life....

From the time he woke up until the time he went to bed, he was screaming at people, jumping around, tackling people so they could wrestle, throwing things, unable to respond when I called his name, and in general just out of control. Correcting him (as in, "you should not have done xyz") would escalate quickly into his screaming, throwing, kicking, and worse. You would have to call his name 4-5 times to get his attention (and sometimes even then he wouldn't answer until you touched him.) He would refuse to do anything asked of him and a simple request would send him into a screaming fit. He was in school 4 days unmedicated and kept it under control during the day, but would come home and fall apart at the end of the day.

His sensory seeking activities included aggravating his siblings to make them scream, smacking himself in the head, running from one end of the house to other, hanging upside down whenever he could, and randomly calling out nothing (just odd noises.)

It was really, really bad. Everyone was either walking on eggshells to keep him from blowing up or trying to function admidst his constant noise and movement. Imagine how difficult it is to have a child like this and have another child who is hypersensitive! I didn't realize how bad it was until he was medicated.

Caffiene did help some, but not as much as his Vyvanse does. I tell him to do something, he says, "Yes ma'am" and does it. No more screaming. No more slamming into walls or people. No more annoying siblings or me for that matter.

I know mine seeks sensory input. He talks to himself all day long. For lack of a better term, he "narrates" his day. Every day. All.day.long. It's gotten better since he got his hearing aids. I guess he hears more of the world around him now and doesn't need to tell himself about it quite as much.

For behavior, he's just "on" all the time. Bull in a china shop kind of kid. He has to touch everything on the shelf at the store. I can control this by letting him push the buggy, but then he's dangerous to the ankles and shins of all around him. I refer to him as "all boy, all the time, balls to the wall, full speed ahead". That's the most accurate description I can give of him.

I know mine seeks sensory input. He talks to himself all day long. For lack of a better term, he "narrates" his day. Every day. All.day.long. It's gotten better since he got his hearing aids. I guess he hears more of the world around him now and doesn't need to tell himself about it quite as much.

For behavior, he's just "on" all the time. Bull in a china shop kind of kid. He has to touch everything on the shelf at the store. I can control this by letting him push the buggy, but then he's dangerous to the ankles and shins of all around him. I refer to him as "all boy, all the time, balls to the wall, full speed ahead". That's the most accurate description I can give of him.

My 7yo is that way and I don't consider him ADD or ADHD - he's just an annoying 7yo boy!:lol: I don't remember if you said how old your ds is. That would have a lot to do with it. My 9yo has had some downright scary episodes over the past year. I was just glad the psych was willing to try a simple stimulant to see if the issues went away. So far, so good.

to be forcing my child to drink coffee. I'm experimenting to see if it will help her focus.

You could try Morning Spark instead. It's sort of like Crystal Lite with a ton of caffeine (more than coffee). It has 170 mg of caffeine per mix and no sugar (it has aspartame, I know that's a bad thing for some people).

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My 7yo is that way and I don't consider him ADD or ADHD - he's just an annoying 7yo boy!:lol: I don't remember if you said how old your ds is. That would have a lot to do with it. My 9yo has had some downright scary episodes over the past year. I was just glad the psych was willing to try a simple stimulant to see if the issues went away. So far, so good.

Nothing truly frightening. He's almost 9yo. He has a lot of impulsivity problems, which in PS would get him hauled off to the office for a phone call home. I got frequent phone calls when he was in PS. "Mrs Dansamy do you know what DS did?!?" Well, no, but I think you're about to tell me. The worst he did was push another child. I do think there's too much of a rush to diagnose and medicate. Which is why I am very hesitant to even consider mentioning it to our pediatrician.

D keeps trying to steal my morning coffee. She also has some attention issues. I let her have a bit earlier this week, but then felt really guilty about it. Maybe it's not so bad, though? I drink my coffee with plenty of milk, but no sugar, and she absolutely loves it. We use a medium roast, which isn't as bitter as dark or espresso roasts. It is higher in caffeine, though. (Learned this from Alton Brown...the darker the roast, the lower the caffeine content.)

Mt Dew has 54 per 8 ounces and coffee has 115 or so per 7 ounces. My ds needed at least 100 mg for it to make a difference. A whole can of MD only has 81, so not quite enough.

Just because I'm a bit of a fact freak and Mt. Dew is the elixir of life (for me).

Mt. Dew product information directly from Pepsi.

If you don't want to do the math a 12oz can had 54mg of caffeine.

The Mayo website has caffeine content broken down by product (coffee, tea, soda, sports drinks, other).

The highest amount for a soft drink is Vault with 70 mg per 12 oz can.

I don't know if you have it available but 12 oz of Enviga sports drink has 100 mg per 12 oz bottle.

Just because I'm a bit of a fact freak and Mt. Dew is the elixir of life (for me).

The Mayo website has caffeine content broken down by product (coffee, tea, soda, sports drinks, other).

I don't know if you have it available but 12 oz of Enviga sports drink has 100 mg per 12 oz bottle.

From my own post:

You could try Morning Spark instead. It's sort of like Crystal Lite with a ton of caffeine (more than coffee). It has 170 mg of caffeine per mix and no sugar (it has aspartame, I know that's a bad thing for some people).

You are supposed to mix it with a 16 oz bottle of water.

Yep, you are right - I read 54mg on the can and assumed it was per serving (which is 8 ounces with 1.5 servings per can - why do they do that anyhow?:glare:)

So, coffee has *more* than twice the caffeine of Mt. Dew!:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

Yep, you are right - I read 54mg on the can and assumed it was per serving (which is 8 ounces with 1.5 servings per can - why do they do that anyhow?:glare:)

So, coffee has *more* than twice the caffeine of Mt. Dew!:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

Apparently so. Depending on the brand and brew time it could have as much as 4 times the amount of caffeine.

I don't know why they do measure it as a serving being 8 ounces. Along the same line (not meaning to hijack the thread) why is a juice glass only 4 ounces?;)

Thank you everyone that has responded with suggestions and personal experience. I was slightly scared I was going to be attacked for giving it to her. I guess I am off to research how much caffeine is necessary to see an effect. It's bound to be on Google somewhere.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I used hazelnut flavored creamer in it. She actually said it was too sweet. Maybe I should have just handed it to her black. I don't know when I will be able to convince her to try it again. I may have to break open a diet Coke for her. As much as I don't like the idea of the diet soda for her, it is the only thing we have around here. I just need to get enough caffeine in her in 1 dose to see if it has any effect.

I love coffee and loved the creamer way too much. I am trying to go all natural, whole foods here and thought I would have to give up coffee because I didn't think I would like it without the creamer. I definitely can't take it black. My perfect cuppa, after much experimentation, is a hazelnut flavored coffee mixed with milk (about a 1:3 ratio of milk:coffee, although I began with a 50:50 mix). If your dd can drink milk, that would work.

ETA: For all you creamer lovers, I lost 8 pounds just by quitting. And that was only drinking about 2 small cups of coffee per day.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

My son tried the Swiss Miss cocoa with caffeine, but it is way to expensive for me to buy on a regular basis. Soda is the worst thing for his teeth. I nixed the idea of caffeine pills (No-Doz?). So we are back to square one. He won't drink coffee.

Try mixing it half and half with hot chocolate. Put cream in it and use REAL cream--not half -n- half or creamer. I think just about anyone would drink that! It just might take two cups, but if they'll drink it and it works, no biggie.

It's worth a try anyway. I'm going to try this with my dd tomorrow--and I know better than to even try offering her coffee. She has indicated her disgust at just the smell of it.

This is DS. I'm glad we decided to go the medication route, I can totally tell a difference in his behavior on and off medication.