Menu

How much do I give? $$$

I have been invited to a wedding. I am going to a funeral. I also need to send a belated graduation (from high school) gift. I know that it depends on how close you are to the recipient, but I would appreciate ball-park figures as to how much $ to give. Also, how much do you generally spend at a bridal shower? I am not super-close to any of them, but I want to give them a nice gift. It has been so long since I have had to do this, I have no idea how much to give.

I have been invited to a wedding. I am going to a funeral. I also need to send a belated graduation (from high school) gift. I know that it depends on how close you are to the recipient' date=' but I would appreciate ball-park figures as to how much $ to give. Also, how much do you generally spend at a bridal shower? I am not super-close to any of them, but I want to give them a nice gift. It has been so long since I have had to do this, I have no idea how much to give.[/quote']

1st of all, it should be what you can afford...but our rule of thumb has been:

$100 for wedding if I'm attending, $50 if not.

$50 for graduation.

$50 for bridal shower.

Card + flowers ($20) for funeral or donation in lieu of (if requested), personal visit to calling hours if feasible.

I may be way off the average...I grew up on east coast where everything is expensive...but currently live in MW where we're having a depression:tongue_smilie:

We don't have a large network of friends, most family is out of state...so we don't get hit up too often :lol:

I have been invited to a wedding. I am going to a funeral. I also need to send a belated graduation (from high school) gift. I know that it depends on how close you are to the recipient' date=' but I would appreciate ball-park figures as to how much $ to give. Also, how much do you generally spend at a bridal shower? I am not super-close to any of them, but I want to give them a nice gift. It has been so long since I have had to do this, I have no idea how much to give.[/quote']

Wedding - $50 if attending, $25 if not attending. I'd give more for a close family member and more if my children are attending the reception.

Funeral - $20-30 donation to specified organization

Bridal shower - $25 maximum

Graduation - $25 maximum

50-100 if you're a friends of the family for the wedding, 100-1000 if you're family (Dh and I got thousands from family members (not in total, but singularly) at our wedding and we had a SMALL wedding just 60 peeps).

30-50 for a birthday

card and at least a 50 arrangement for the funeral if you're close enough-just a card if you're an acquaintance. I would also follow up with a few meals or something.

Shower at least 50-that's a minimum. For both bridal and baby. Normally I go in on a big ticket item. BUT when my brother gets married I can tell I'm gonna be shelling out some escarole.

graduation-if you're a friend 25, if you're family at least 100.

ETA, the bottom line is you give what you can. People understand. Those who don't aren't worth your time, you know? If you really can't give, send regrets unless you're an immediate family member.

I'm in Jersey.

Around these parts, the checks depend on the spread you put out. If people are sitting at the reception and the wait staff is stingy, they take money out of the envelope.

Edited by justamouse

Wedding - $50 if attending, $25 if not attending. I'd give more for a close family member and more if my children are attending the reception.

Funeral - $20-30 donation to specified organization

Bridal shower - $25 maximum

Graduation - $25 maximum

For people I am not close to this sounds about right. If I am close to them, it's more. The funeral thing - generally just a visit at the wake to offer my condolences. If the deceased has young children and the family has set up a fund, I'll donate to that. (Yes, I know everyone should have life insurance, but sometimes people pass without having planned ahead. The children should certainly not be made to suffer anymore than they already are.)

What would be reasonable for us if we didn't know the people well would be $25. Would send a card for a funeral unless there is a request for a donation to a fund that I would like to support. If I didn't want to support it, I would send a card; if I did, $25 unless it was for a widow, etc. without good life insurance, then it would be more even if I didn't know her well.

Wedding-$250, more if the kids are attending with us.

Shower- $25-$50 depending on how close I am with the family.

Graduation $25-$50-depends on how close I am with the family.

Funeral-send food to the house afterward with a card.

I am in New Jersey for perspective. I also agree with a pp, that you give what you can. True friends really do not care.

Just another thought...along the lines of 'what you can afford' will change a lot depending on your season of life, such as being single, being married w/both of us working & no kids, just me working with 4 kids, etc. I would think the family with 4 kids under 6 yrs old w/ just one parent working wouldn't be expected to be as 'generous' as the 50 yr old couple whose kids are out and on their own...but again, anything given ought to be accepted graciously.

I don't give money for weddings. I'll purchase a gift either off the registry or from one of my local shops. The cost varies depending on what I have on had at the time. A great gift for one particular couple may be $20 and be just the thing for them. For a different couple I may have to spend more.

Same with a shower. I've gone from $20-60 depending on the bride, our friendship and her taste.

For a funeral I'll buy a card and flowers. Which reminds me I have to do that today.

Ballpark figures, typical wedding/graduation/bridal shower amounts for me (gift or cash) is $10 to $20 if I don't know them that well.

Erica in OR

That is about what I do as well unless slitting the costs with someone else. If the family of the deceased has named a perferred charity, then I might give around $10-$15 if it is one I would want to support. Even just a card is acceptable in that case.

1st of all, it should be what you can afford...but our rule of thumb has been:

$100 for wedding if I'm attending, $50 if not.

$50 for graduation.

$50 for bridal shower.

Card + flowers ($20) for funeral or donation in lieu of (if requested), personal visit to calling hours if feasible.

I may be way off the average...I grew up on east coast where everything is expensive...but currently live in MW where we're having a depression:tongue_smilie:

We don't have a large network of friends, most family is out of state...so we don't get hit up too often :lol:

:iagree:

with the exception that the only time I give flowers or a donation for a funeral is if I am pretty close to the deceased one's family. We live in the Northeast.

50ish for a friends wedding

100ish for a family wedding

20-25 for a birthday

card, meal and a 40-50 arrangement for the funerals of close family/friends

25-50 for a shower

graduation-25 for friends, 50 for family

Note that the amount might be a gift for around that amount, or it might be a check.