Menu

Can we share 8th grade schedules, too?

at the beach

With the recent 7th grade thread, I thought we could also share 8th grade schedules. I've made some changes to ours for this year and wondered what others decided on. I'd also love to know how those of you who have a wide variety of courses at this age are managing to get it all in. We are using online classes for her main subjects this year. Our 8th grader daughter is doing:

History/Literature/Composition: Humanities 1 (World Literature and Church History)

Foreign Language: Latin 2 Henle & German 1

Science: Physical Science Explorations

Math: Lial's Algebra (We switched from the plan to have her continue to work through the AoPS Algebra book where she left off with her summer class because: 1) I felt that she might need help I couldn't give her and that AoPS classes during the year as her main curriculum might move too fast for it to really sink in and 2) that it would be too time consuming. I also want to make sure she's well-grounded in the basics and that she not focus too much on one academic area to the exclusion of others.)

Outside classes: Dance (at least 15 hours a week), piano lessons and practice, service projects for church and confirmation classes.

I'd like to add in on a regular basis: Art and art history, Religion, grammar review and vocabulary. We decided to forego logic this year because of the two foreign languages. Her current courses and piano practice pretty much fill our days and then evenings are devoted to dance. And her math is pretty easy right now. But I don't know how to find the time to add anything in.

Those of you who have lots of subjects in your schedules, how do you do it? My dd is spending time in online classes, so do you think that adds a lot to the time spent on a course? If she didn't have online teaching, I'd be doing more direct teaching with her and she'd be doing more study on her own I would think.

Thanks for sharing. :001_smile:

Math:

NEM 1

Art of Problem Solving Algebra

History/Geography/Literature:

TOG Year 4

Writing:

CW Diogenes Chreia

Foreign Language:

Latin for the New Millennium

Basics of Biblical Greek

Rosetta Stone German

(all I require of him is the Latin, the rest he has added in himself)

Memory:

Scripture

IEW Poetry

Logic:

Art of Argument

PE:

fencing

Here's ours

Math: Saxon Algebra 1/2

Latin: Oxford Latin Book 1 (second half)

Greek: Hey Andrew Teach Me Some Greek level 4 + Athenaze

English: Rod & Staff 6 + Pentime 8

History, Geography, Literature, and Writing: History Odyssey Modern level 2 (Includes some art & music history)

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Logic: Introduction to Logic

Extras: Karate, Piano

Math: Teaching Textbooks, Life of Fred

Writing: Meaningful Composition

Latin: Latin Prep

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

History: WTM -Literature, timeline, outlining, etc., geography

Literature: Progeny Press to go with our History readings

Music: Learn and Master Guitar

Science: The Rainbow

Extras: Tech Team (robotics, chemistry, physics, etc.), Karate

Bible: Bible reading, Young Person's Guide to Knowing God Then Sings My Soul (hymn study), supplemental reading (biographies, Mere Christianity, etc.)

Math: Keys to Fractions (for review) and MUS Algebra 1

History/Literature/Compostion: History Odyssey, Modern Times, Level 2 with SOTW, Vol. 4 & additional reading

Literature: Lightning Literature Grade 8

Composition: The Elegant Essay from IEW

Grammar: Analytical Grammar, Season 3 (1st semester)

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, Book A; Prefixes & Suffixes, Latin & Greek Roots (2nd semester)

Science: Prentice Hall Science Explorer: Physical Science

Art: Atilier Art through co-op

Trying to work in: The Art of Argument

Extra-curricular:

FIRST LEGO League (Thurs evening & Sat am)

Speech & Debate (NCFCA) - Wed afternoon

Tennis - Monday afternoon

Church - Sunday am

Boy Scouts - Monday evening

Bible:

Precepts Covenant

Tabernacle Study

Scripture memory

Individual devotional

How is your student doing with Covenant? Are you going o a class or doing it on your own? I am thinking about doing Covenant and Kinsman Redeemer for 9th grade & I'd love to hear about your experience.

How is your student doing with Covenant? Are you going o a class or doing it on your own? I am thinking about doing Covenant and Kinsman Redeemer for 9th grade & I'd love to hear about your experience.

We love the Covenant study. Our whole family is doing it -- the 6th grader up. We are using the "In and Out" which has much less daily work than the original precepts studies. My 8th grader, though, did two other adult-level Precepts studies in a co-op as a 5th grader (Joshua, Judges). I was truly surprised at how committed he was to the daily work and how much he learned. It confirmed that we can do meaty studies with our kids.

I haven't done Kinsman Redeemer, though that co-op group went on to do that after Judges.

I'm going to tweak the Beth Moore study on tabernacle and use some other materials we have to do a tablernacle study.

Lisa

My 8th grader this year:

LA: MCT Voyage (all books) + W&M Utopia + IEW Elegant Essay (fall)

+ Vocab: VfCR A (Spring, when done with MCT's vocab CE2)

Math: LoF Geometry

Spelling: SWO H

Science: Galore Park's SYRWTL Science 2 & Misc resources for exp'ts & labs

& Story of Science - Newton (with Quest Guides)

Spanish: Galore Park's SYRWTL Spanish 2 + tutor + misc

History/Lit: SL Core 6 (+ Utopia lit, see LA)

Music Theory: Alfred's Essential Music Theory

Violin

Harp

ETA: 'after school activities':

+ paid harp gigs 4x/mo

+ harp ensemble 1x/mo

+ book club 1x/mo

+ community environmental youth group thing volunteer 2x/mo

+ lessons for harp & violin weekly

+ community orchestra weekly during season -- approximately 12 wks/yr

+ misc other performances 1x/mo or so

+ Story of Science group thing 2x/mo

How do we fit it all it? I don't know. We struggle with it every week. and I keep thinking I need to trim back, but I have a hard time doing that. It's probably 35 hrs/wk of work not including the music. With the music, it's probably 50 hrs/wk. But, the two instruments are her choice to do, not required by me.

I don't know if this is a reasonable amount of work for a 13 yo, but, TBH, she has very few chores (as various adults take care of virtually all chores except the kid's tidying of their own rooms and maybe 15 min/day per child of dishes/table clearing/etc), so her non-schooling time is largely her own, so it's not like she doesn't have many hours a week totally free to do as she wishes. . . If she had a couple hours a day of chores, then it would be different thing to expect so much school, IMHO.

Edited by StephanieZ

How do we fit it all it? I don't know. We struggle with it every week. and I keep thinking I need to trim back, but I have a hard time doing that. It's probably 35 hrs/wk of work not including the music. With the music, it's probably 50 hrs/wk. But, the two instruments are her choice to do, not required by me.

I don't know if this is a reasonable amount of work for a 13 yo, but, TBH, she has very few chores (as various adults take care of virtually all chores except the kid's tidying of their own rooms and maybe 15 min/day per child of dishes/table clearing/etc), so her non-schooling time is largely her own, so it's not like she doesn't have many hours a week totally free to do as she wishes. . . If she had a couple hours a day of chores, then it would be different thing to expect so much school, IMHO.

Thanks for these comments. I feel better knowing we aren't the only ones struggling to fit everything in. Thanks also for breaking it down into weekly hours. I would estimate that my child is spending a minimum of six hours a day on academics, including the time online for classes. Then, there is her music practice on top of that. She is also spending weekend time on academics like writing essays or science experiments. But she's still getting into a groove of getting done what is expected with these online classes. When it's just me expecting things, it is easier for us to let things slide but then we are doing stuff in the summer to make up for it. And regular school would take at least this much time. A girl in her dance class told the kids that her mom does all her homework. :001_huh: I often wonder how the other girls who dance as much as she does and go to a regular school all day get it done. Apparently some don't.

I also forgot to mention she has a once a month outing with a group of homeschool girls, which she loves, so that's a priority. I keep the chores light, too. She does do some housework type stuff. She loves to bake, does do her own laundry and she takes care of her room. We dropped violin this summer because I urged her to think about the fact that she cannot do everything. Well, she misses it and wants to start up her lessons again and I miss it, too. I can't believe I am actually considering taking her back with everything else on our plate. Good grief.

My 8th grader is pretty busy. He is taking science at the junior high school as well running cross country and participating in some after school activities. Next quarter he will also be adding an elective class to his schedule at the school. He wanted to finish cross country before adding to his schedule. Here it is:

8-9 Latin

9:15-11:45 Science and electives at the school (this includes travel time and a mandatory 60 minute reading period.)

11:45-12:15 lunch

12:15-1 Math

1-2 English M,W,F or Logic T, Th (we are doing MP Traditional Logic I spread out over the entire year.)

2-4 Cross Country or other activities

6-7:30 Civics (this is OM 8 civics that involves a lot of writing and research. This is just as much a part of his writing requirement as civics, and he writes slowly.)

7:30-8:30 Literature (either reading or writing)

It is a full day but he works hard and doesn't often have any "homework" left over for the weekend. It seems to be just right for him.

8th grade schedule:

math - Chalkdust Geometry

science - CSI/Forensic Anatomy

language arts - Intro. to Literature (Laurel Tree), IEW, Vocabulary Cartoons

foreign language - JH French 2, French Conversations (Potter's School)

history - World Geography (Potter's School)

also violin lessons, group violin class, swimming, and dryland practice

My dd is 12 until April, but we are calling this her 8th grade year, and she will graduate a year early, so this is her 8th grade schedule:

Ancient History: TOG (year 1, combo of D and R) and Omnibus I mix

English I: ancient lit and some of the writing in TOG/Omni, grammar through diagramming and EGFSL, VFCR A & B, writing class (Elegant Essay, timed essays, research paper, etc.)

Biology: BJU Biology w/DIVE

Logic I: Intro/Inter Logic

Latin I: Latin Alive 1 class (she was doing Wheelock's, but had a chance to have a class with a friend in this instead)

Math: finish Alg I, do Algebra II (VTI) (I'll probably add some AOPS)

Health (1/2 year): Total Health

Greek: Elementary Greek 2 (the 14 and 12 yo are learning this on their own)

Computer Applications (1/2 year): Office, some Java programming

Art: art class, art history in TOG/Omni

Music: piano lessons, clarinet lessons, and music appreciation/theory

Phys Ed: daily workout and swimming

Other: LEGO team, weekly volunteer work in a special needs classroom, home ec skills (doing the dishes and helping clean the house, cooking a few times a week, baking, etc.)

We have skipped online classes, because I feel like we can use the time more effectively. I want them to take one or two at some point, but it seems like I can't find anything I can't teach more easily (and inexpensively) at home. I think we would have to cut something out if we did online classes, too.

We just added the clarinet, and I also thought we might be crazy to add something else, but it's working out okay so far.

Sonlight Core 100 for:

Bible

Hist/Geog

Literature

Critical Thinking (Analogies 1)

Vocabulary (Wordly Wise 8)

CLP Building Spelling Skills 8

Grammar = ??

Composition = ??

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1

Apologia Physical Science

Boy Scouts, piano, tennis, youth group

Edited by ruby t.
forgot some things

Bible: Thinking Like a Christian, Summit Ministries studies

Lit: Literature Analysis at co op (6 novels + 4-6 short stories, reaction papers and analysis projects) + classics that go along with our history studies

Science: Anatomy with nutrition & fitness (Nutrition 101, BJU Bio anatomy chapters, nutrition & fitness class at co op)

Environmental Science - Hands of a Child Environmental Science, Boy Scout badges (several environmental, zoology, and nature related badges) and planning/carrying out a Hornaday project

Writing: Comp class at co op (focus on essays) and One Year Adventure Novel

Latin: Latin Alive

Greek: Greek for Children (we'll do this for a couple of years before going into Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek)

Art: Art class at co op, art history to go along with history studies

History: American History pre-Columbian through Reconstruction. We're using mostly Hands of a Child units (Historical Look at America Indians, Summary & Review of Early American History 1 & 2) along with American Government (Hands of a Child American Government, Wallbuilders DVD set). Integrating lots of great literature in there along with The Teaching Company early American history. (Ds is really auditory and hands-on, so I "layer" a lot of his studies.)

Humanities: 300 Years of Interaction in Western Music, Arts, History, & Culture

Math: VideoText Algebra Modules C, D, E

Scouts, Karate, Youth Group

This is dd's curricula and schedule. I knew she would have the outside class and co-op some weeks, so we did one thing to make our year a little easier. She started a few subjects over the summer doing 2-3 lessons a week. It has helped tremendously. I know you can't go back and do summer over, but you might could stretch a little into next summer.

Dd has her own planner that you can find one my blog under planning. She and I sit down on Sundays and go over what needs to be finished that week and what our schedule is like as a family. She plans out what she will do each day for that whole week.

Subjects 5 Days a week:

Bible: some selections from SL Core 100; The Life, a Journey with God 2.1; Do Hard Things; Reading through the Psalms with me and little brother

History: SL Core 100

Literature: SL Core 100

Subjects 4 days a week:

Math: CLE 8th grade; have LOF Fractions/Decimals & Percents, but haven't tried yet

Science: BJU Life Science online

English: CLE 8th grade

Subjects 2-3 days per week:

Who Is God? By Apologia with me and little brother

Writing: SL Core 100; IEW SWI-B

Subjects One Day per week:

Critical Thinking: Fallacy Detective

Outside Class: Retired English teacher doing a vocabulary and grammar course once a week; uses Word Wealth

Co-Op: 8 weeks of enrichment classes one day a week each semester: This semester: Career Explorations; Nature/Survival Class; Intro to Spanish; Health & PE

Edited by mom31257
add in days per week

Here is what my 8th grader is doing:

Math-R&S8

English-grammar using Harvey's Elem. Grammar, composition with CW core books, and other CM style writing

French-L'Art de Lire

Latin-First Form

Science-Physical Science

History-Renaissance & Reformation Times

Geography-Book of Marvels...The Orient

Literature-various books to support history+Figuratively Speaking and Poetry and Prose for literary terms

Arts-piano theory, History of Art, drawing and watercolors

Typing and Logic