Menu

Can someone tell me about Twilight for a 7th grader (CC or moral input welcome)

jeri

My 7th grade dd got this out of the library. Checked on Amazon but it only told me "suitable for grade 9 and up" and "romantic." She has read Harry Potter and I'm not opposed to that. Just how "romantic" (aka sexual) does it become? Thanks.

Jeri

who is a geek and only reads nonfiction

It's a little heavier than Harry Potter. Book 3 does include sex, but not until the main characters are married, and even then it doesn't get really explicit, but it does ride the edge a little and you would probably want to preread it and decide whether it's appropriate for your daughter. In the first two books there's no sex, but the young man (vampire) does sneak in to the young lady's room at night and watch her sleep, almost every night. I don't know whether that crosses a line for you or not. I'm not wild about it, myself, for teens.

There is a lot of "anticipation" if you will. Part of the draw is the "forbidden" nature of the relationship, and the danger . . . I enjoyed the series, but

I think it is better suited for older, more mature readers. I would not call the relationships the healthiest, if you know what I mean.

I'm not letting my 7th grade DD read it, but not because of any sex in the book. The "I have to have you in my life or I'm not complete" aspect of their relationship is not healthy. That really comes out in book 2. As an adult who read the series, I can put that all into perspective as a fictional book. I'm not sure a young girl could.

There is some talk in the series about whether Bella is giving up her soul to become a vampire. It's the main reason Edward does not want her to become one. Bella isn't sure she would be giving it up, and doesn't care if she is.

My then 7th grader read all but the last book. All her friends had read them and she was very curious at what all the hype was about.

I pre-read them and warned her before hand that it was not AT ALL what a healthy relationship looked like. Then after she read it we talked a lot about the way Bella responds to the things in her life. It was a good conversation, and my DD decided that the books were junk. She now rolls her eyes at all things Twilight.

I would NOT recommend them if you have an immature 7th grader, or if you have one that is easy influenced. And after the first book there is a lot of 'almost' having sex in them.

My then 7th grader read all but the last book. All her friends had read them and she was very curious at what all the hype was about.

I pre-read them and warned her before hand that it was not AT ALL what a healthy relationship looked like. Then after she read it we talked a lot about the way Bella responds to the things in her life. It was a good conversation, and my DD decided that the books were junk. She now rolls her eyes at all things Twilight.

I would NOT recommend them if you have an immature 7th grader, or if you have one that is easy influenced. And after the first book there is a lot of 'almost' having sex in them.

I agree. IMO the first book reads like an 1970ish Harlequin romance, only with worse pacing. :lol: Other than the stalker vampire stuff..and well, the passive Bella stuff, there's not much action. It's what comes in the next two books that would concern me for a girl of this age.

7th grade dd here also; I would prefer that she not read them. Like other posters have said, not b/c of 'sex' but b/c of the unhealthy relationships portrayed (the romantic one primarily, but this is an equal opportunity book, chock-full of dysfunctional relationships).

Having said that, I don't know that I would *forbid* her to read it, if she really wanted to. I think that, at her age, it is appropriate to give her more and more control over judgement calls like this one. I would definitely have more than one discussion with her on why/what I dislike about the book.

Also, practically speaking, it is nearly impossible to truly keep it out of her hands if she wants to read it. Sometimes, it's difficult for parents to understand why something is so important, and I'd hate for something as stupid as a vampire book I disapprove of to lead her into deceit. We all have these fantasies about our kids following their own interests and being completely non-conformist, but sometimes a 12-yr-old just wants to discuss the latest fad, kwim?

I'd probably tell her why I'm hesitant, and say that if she decides to read it, I'll want to discuss it with her.

There's no actual sex in the first book, but there's a lot of sexual tension between the two main characters. I'm not letting my 6th grader read them. A lot of her friends have read them, and she wanted to, but I just feel there are better things to read. She can read them in high school if she wants to!

Uh - yeah... Maybe I'm thinking of the second book - but wasn't Bella willing??? It was the Ed that stopped them, or something? And he goes in to her bedroom through a window at night to watch her. They do sleep next to each other in her room, without the dad knowing , of course.....

I remember, even without the actual act, thinking there was a lot of sexual tension there.

Also - in my humble opinion - it models abusive relationships. Granted - this one isn't abusive - but I'd hate to think of young girls wanting such a possesive boyfriend.....

ETA - I'm not usually one to suggest this, because books are almost always better, but I think in this case the movie might be safer :) It's still not a healthy relationship - but there is less info about it.... and you don't get to hear everything that goes through Bella's mind - which is a good thing

There isn't a lot of sex but there are sexual situations IMO. And there is a whole lot of the main character begging the male character to sleep with her and he won't until they are married. The fact that she is constantly begging and pressuring him to sleep with her is bad enough (and honestly the relationship between the two characters is so wholly dysfunctional, typical stalker male/doormat female) that I would not recommend it for a kid that age.

They are utter trash and not even that well written. That having been said, I devoured them and enjoyed every minute of them. (More than once.):D

I typically despise the romance genre as a whole but these were fun.

My dd 14 has read them and we have had great talks from them. She thinks Bella is an idiot, Jacob is immature and likes Edward for his old fashioned values. I think she has a good handle on them.

My 17 yo dd has tried to read the Twilight series just so she could figure out what all the hype was about. She's never been able to make it through the books as she feels that they are very poorly written and that Bella is the worst female character written recently--passive and weak and needing a man to save her. She wonders why girls are liking this so much.

I asked my 12 yo DD to hold off. All of the girls in her class were reading the books in 5th grade. We did watch the movie together so she could see what all the hype was about. I don't think it has the same level of intensity as the books. (I have read the books.:001_smile:) I don't think my 12 yo needs to read about a girl so obsessed with a boy that it becomes the main focus in her life. The kids in the book are in highschool. My DD can read it when she is bit older.

Margie

:iagree:Couldn't have said it better! I think you should pre-read and use it for talking about relatioships.

Personally, I wouldn't let a 7th grader read it, and I'd prefer my older teens not read it. The relationship between Edward and Bella has all the hallmarks of an abusive relationship other than actual hitting, and I find it disturbing that teens are so fascinated by this series. I actually had flashbacks while reading the first book that started when Edward used his arm to block Bella from getting into the drivers seat of her truck. My 16 yo has read the series, and as a result, we've had some conversations about healthy vs. abusive relationships. But it's hard to overcome the emotional appeal of popular books and movies - that's why I rather she not read these types of books.

From my review on my blog:

"The author delivers EXACTLY what the reader (of Twilight) wants. Any guesses? It isn't superb writing. It isn't a complex plot. It isn't witty dialogue. It isn't breathtaking descriptive passages. It isn't fascinating ideas to keep one thinking long after the book is closed.

The reader wants to BE the female lead in an emotionally intense romantic story. She wants to be HERSELF, in a common place, with an extraordinary experience. She wants to feel not just wanted, but obsessed over. Not just beautiful, but irresistible. Not just popular, but worthy. And she wants the chance to give herself over completely to the experience, no matter the cost, no matter the danger--yet be protected/saved by the person with whom she is risking everything....

It is about a deep, compelling, emotional hunger to be someone's EVERYTHING. To be desired. To be worthy. To dangerously offer every part of yourself...and be protected in return."

I've only read the first book, but I think the message could be very insidious (and dangerous/unhealthy) for a young girl. Yep. It's just fiction. And some kids can handle it, but I think the Twilight obsession of so many girls (and their mothers) is very telling.

I would not let my young teen read it. It introduces topics, feelings and desires that a young teen is not ready for. It also condones behavior that a middle schooler can't handle. I wouldn't let a high schooler read it either.

I will let my 12 yr old son read HP when he's 13 but Twilight - um no. The sexual/romantic topics are far too heavy and each book gets heavier romantically. HP deals with teen relationships in a much more healthy way than Twilight.