Menu

Any Americans w/kids born in Canada? (long)

I am due in 9 weeks or so (ack!), and still have not decided on which side of the border to give birth!

Strictly from a standpoint of comfort/ease/quality of care, I would go home to the US in a heartbeat, to deliver this child close to my family and in the same hospital in which my other children (as well as myself) were born. I also like the idea of the baby having the same birthplace on her passport as the rest of us (as well as a concrete attachment to our home state).

However, as far as paperwork goes, the most obvious and straightforward route would be to give birth in Canada. The baby would be an automatic Canadian citizen, and once we make a Declaration of Birth of an American Citizen Abroad at the local consulate, she would be an automatic American citizen as well (due to our American citizenship). This quick and easy declaration only costs $100, and we'd be done.

If I give birth in the US, we would have to go through the process of applying for her Permanent Resident status in Canada. This involves 3 rounds of paperwork, multiple supporting documents, several months and at least $500. Unfortunately, I am not satisfied with my doctor, and care in general, and am a bit fearful of delivering with her. I am scrambling to change doctors, and possibly hospitals, but I don't have much time left. I also just can't get over the idea of the baby not having a US birthplace, a fact that will remain with her for a lifetime. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but one's birthplace tends to be equated with where one is from, where one's roots are, and that is definitely not where we live now.

So, if any of you are American citizens who have given birth in Canada, particularly if you ended up moving back to the US later on, did that cause any type of complications or regrets? For example, was your child's American citizenship ever questioned because they listed Canada as their birthplace on forms? Was it a hassle to get and renew their US passport because you would need a copy of their birth certificate (have to be requested from Canada) as well as their Certificate of Foreign Birth? Has their birthplace differing from others in the family caused questions/delays at the border? If your child is grown, did they ever express regret at not having a US birthplace?

I guess most of these issues sound pretty petty. If my comfort level with the care I would receive were equal, I would probably opt to just stay in Canada and make the paperwork easier. But, since I would personally rather have my birthing experience back home, I am trying to decide if that justifies the added expense and headache of the red tape involved. Once the decision is made, there is no turning back. If the paperwork ends up more expensive and involved, dragging on for months, there is no alternative. At the same time, once her birthplace is chosen, it's done, and that will remain part of her identity for a lifetime.

Soooo, any advice? Anyone?

Thanks,

If you can get the birth thing figured out, I'd do Canada. That way, your child has more options later in life. One of my siblings has dual citizenship and it came in handy when she was in her 30's and (by chance) living in the 2nd country - she could legally work, there was no issue with visas, and so on.

I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but one's birthplace tends to be equated with where one is from, where one's roots are, and that is definitely not where we live now.

Thanks,

I think it partly depends on how long you plan to live where you are now. I was born in Wyoming, but lived almost all of my life in Ohio. I never think of being "from" Wyoming. It's not at all a part of who I am, even though I was born there. Whenever anyone asks me where I'm "from," I always say I'm from Ohio. But, my parents moved back to Ohio when I was just 4 months old...so that makes a big difference. I know it's not another country, but sort of similar.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation. There are definite benefits to dual citizenship for her later on in life. But her birth experience (and yours) are also important. It's a tough call. :grouphug:

I hope you find a solution you can all be happy with!

Both of my kids and my DH were born abroad — DS was born in the UK and is a dual citizen, DD was born in Asia and adopted as an infant. They are both US citizens and have US passports, and I haven't had any trouble getting or renewing them. DH is also a dual US/UK citizen and has never had any trouble with passports, driver's licenses, or any other paperwork. I like the fact that DS has the option to live & work anywhere in the EU as well as in the US. Assuming you can sort out the medical care, I would give birth in Canada, and let your child have dual citizenship.

Jackie

I was not born in anther country but I live no where near where I was born. I lived in my birth state for 6 months. I don't think of it as a big deal. Where ever you settle will be where she says she is from.

Get her the dual citizenship. You never know what life will bring her and it might come in handy one day.

not knowing your status, here's the exception i found...

Immigration Status of Parents

The immigration status of the parents at the time of the Canadian citizenship child's birth is not relevant to the child's eligibility for Canadian citizenship. A child born in Canada to two illegal alien parents would still be considered a Canadian citizen. However, Section 3(2) of the Current Act contains an exception to the above rule, at least for persons born in Canada after February 15, 1977. It states that Canadian citizenship is not granted to a child born in Canada if, at the time of his/her birth, neither of his/her parents was a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and either parent was:

1. a diplomatic or consular officer or other representative or employee of a foreign government in Canada;
  2. an employee in the service of a person referred to in paragraph (a); or
  3. an officer or employee in Canada of a specialized agency of the United Nations or an officer or employee in Canada of any other international organization to whom they are granted, by or any other Act of Parliament, diplomatic privileges and immunities certified by the Secretary of State for External Affairs to be equivalent to those granted to a person or persons referred to in paragraph (a).

otherwise, i'd say it was way easier to be born north of the border. fwiw, we have 4 dds. i am canadian, dh is american. the eldest was born in germany, and has canadian and american citizenship. the second was born in canada and has canadian citizenship and is a permanent resident in the USA, the other two were born in the usa, and have american and canadian. but they cannot pass on their canadian citizenship to their children if they are born outside canada, too.

clear as mud, yes? but we've not had place of birth problems, even with immigrating to four different countries.

fwiw,

ann

Guest Alte Veste Academy
So, if any of you are American citizens who have given birth in Canada, particularly if you ended up moving back to the US later on, did that cause any type of complications or regrets? For example, was your child's American citizenship ever questioned because they listed Canada as their birthplace on forms? Was it a hassle to get and renew their US passport because you would need a copy of their birth certificate (have to be requested from Canada) as well as their Certificate of Foreign Birth? Has their birthplace differing from others in the family caused questions/delays at the border? If your child is grown, did they ever express regret at not having a US birthplace?

I was born in Germany when my dad was stationed there. My DS7 and DD were both born in Germany when DH was stationed there. We are not from Germany. We are all Texans. ;)

Take it easy on yourself! Have the baby in Canada and don't fret one bit about a link to home or paperwork logistics. Once you get the Consular Report of an American Citizen Born Abroad, you are good as gold. My kids have passports. They can even be president one day if they want, despite being born in a foreign country. I guess technically, I still could too. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

Not Canada but:

Both my sons are American citizens, one born in the UK, one in Hong Kong. They are also UK citizens and have right of abode in Hong Kong.

It's never been a problem entering the US or renewing passports. We had to prove (once only) that their father - the US citizen parent - had lived in the US for a number of years, but that wasn't hard. He just requested a copy of his high school transcript.

Best wishes

Laura

Not in Canada, but my two youngest kids were born in the UK. We've had no problem getting them renewals on their US passports or getting in and out of the US. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad that you get from the US Embassy in Canada acts as a birth certificate for them. So, though we have their British birth certificates, we've never had to present them in any official capacity other than to get the Consular Report when they were newborns. So don't let concerns for later complications be a deciding factor in your decision.

My kids don't have British citizenship even though they were born here because neither my husband nor I are British citizens. But if your dd will get automatic Canadian citizenship that might be very nice for her later in life.

On the other hand, if you're not happy with the medical care there, then go ahead and have your dd in the US. Talk with others though, first, to find out about their birth experiences in Canada before you make a final decision. I wasn't particularly impressed with the pre-natal care in the UK, but found the birth experience far superior here than with my first child in the US. I had my second dc with a midwife in the US, and that was similar to the experience with childbirth in the UK. The point is, just because they don't have great pre-natal care, doesn't mean that you'll have a bad birth experience. If I were you, I'd ask everyone I could find about their birth experience at that hospital.

Hope it all goes well, whatever you decide.

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Your experience has been valuable to me.

A question: Do you mean to say that, whenever your child's birth certificate is required, you actually only need to present his Declaration of Birth Abroad? That would make things easier. I also read on the consulate website that they can only issue you one original document, and any copies are $50. Have you ever had a problem getting the original returned when submitted for a passport, etc.?

Just one clarification: We are permanent residents in Canada, and in less than a year, we will be qualified to apply for Canadian citizenship. At that point, all of our kids will be added to our application, and we will all obtain Canadian citizenship at the same time, making us all dual citizens.

So, the question of where to give birth won't really affect the baby's chances of having dual citizenship. It is more an issue of sooner (and easier), rather than later (after reams of paperwork and extra $$).

To the poster who suggested that I ask around about birth experiences, I have to a certain extent. Although there have been a couple of positives, there have been more negatives. I recently learned that my Dr. is quick to induce, use other interventions, and perform C-sections. She is patronizing, as in "I know what I'm doing, don't worry your little head about it, you're fine", providing minimal info. about my condition. This Dr. insists on delivering all her own patients, which is great, except that she is overworked and therefore will use procedures to speed up the process so she can move on to her next patient. Friends who have managed to find a good Dr. were often delivered by a stranger who happened to be on-call. I strongly prefer a female Dr., and would accept a male only in a true emergency situation. Where I live, there is a shortage of Drs., maybe half are women, and the broader culture is generally unsympathetic to strong convictions of modesty. The nearest group of midwives is 40 minutes away (could be 1 hr + with traffic), and I am afraid I might be too far along to get in there. There is another hospital 30 minutes away that is supposed to be more respectful of natural childbirth and more private, but I would have to see what my chances are of getting stuck with the "male on-call".

Back home, I would use the same group of midwives that delivered my dd, which was a wonderful experience, and they are covered by a group of all-female OBs, who delivered my ds, and they are all extremely respectful of each patient's needs and preferences. In general, I feel like a number in Canada, long waits, extremely brief appts., and am a bit fearful of having procedures or Drs. pushed on me when I am in a vulnerable state, but these fears may or may not be well-founded. There are at least 6 hospitals I could choose from, so I'm sure I could find a good one if I had the time to do all that research and manage to find a Dr. who delivers in one of them that will accept a new patient at this stage.

All of this to say, there is no guarantee I wouldn't have a good birth experience in Canada, or that nothing bad could happen if I have the baby in the US, I would just feel more comfortable back home (and wouldn't have to deal with hunting down a new Dr. and/or hospital at this late date). But, delivery is a one-day thing, and I don't want to put us in a logistical quagmire of paperwork for the next several months just because I *think* I *might* have a negative birth experience in Canada.

This is why I have brought up the long-term issue of place of birth, since it is the only permanent consequence of my choice.

Thoughts?

Guest Alte Veste Academy
A question: Do you mean to say that, whenever your child's birth certificate is required, you actually only need to present his Declaration of Birth Abroad? That would make things easier. I also read on the consulate website that they can only issue you one original document, and any copies are $50. Have you ever had a problem getting the original returned when submitted for a passport, etc.?

Yes, whenever someone asks for those birth certificates, the consular report is what I give. I have never had a problem getting it returned. I do have German birth certificates but no one ever wants them and I never use them. They're mostly memory box stuff.

I'm sorry I can't speak to the rest of your concerns. You have a difficult decision to make. :grouphug:

I know quite a few Canadian ladies who have given birth in the States and in Quebec. All of them would rather give birth in the States (assuming a great health coverage).

Honestly, Asmaa, I know you in real life, and if I were you, I would give birth in the States. Even though it most likely means your kids won't be at swim&gym for a while. Personally I would rather give birth close to where my mom and family are. It's hard when you're far. Since you *can* choose, go where your family is.

ETA: I can't believe you're already that close to giving birth!!

different experience than cleo's friends:

i have had babies in germany, canada and usa, and kingston general hospital in kingston ontario canada wins hands down. i had a birthing room with a hospital bed that looked like a normal bed until you needed its end to drop away, and the rest of the room was like a hotel room; it was lovely. i had a shower i could use, i could walk to my heart's content, there were ice chips available that i could get myself or someone else could get them, there was a midwife (and an ob/gyn on call). they offered pain killers and respected my refusal. (in germany, no pain killers given; in the usa they kept pushing and pushing them until i finally had to resort to being rude "what part of no don't you understand? this is my third/fourth baby. i know what i'm saying.) they also wouldn't let me walk and wanted me hooked up to monitors the whole time. in the other two countries, they hooked me up occasionally to check. in germany i was on a stretcher, and in the usa i was in a hospital bed.

good luck.

ann

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

Ann,

Thanks for sharing your many varied birth experiences. I agree, no blanket statements can be made about giving birth in one country or another, since there is a wide variation between states/provinces, cities and hospitals.

For example, my SIL gave birth last week in a small Quebec town, and had a private room with very attentive staff. I'm sure there are some major US cities where I would not want to deliver. It all depends.

In my situation, I had a very good experience with my previous births at my hometown hospital. In the urban area where I currently live, there is definitely a shortage of doctors, and a more institutionalized, less personal feel to the care I have received. I just read the policies at the hospital where I would defacto give birth here in Canada. I am *allowed* one support person in addition to my husband, and my other children are *allowed* to visit from 10am to 8pm. Any other visitors (as in my parents, etc.) are *allowed* from 2pm to 8pm. Hey, I'm the one giving birth here, *I* will decide who I want in the delivery room with me, and who I want to visit me and when. In fact, my dd10 almost wasn't allowed up to my SIL's room to see her new cousin the day after her birth, because she was too young. Please. I never thought twice about these "policies" with my previous births back home. Just goes against my independent homeschooler spirit, I guess.

Cleo - I really value and appreciate your opinion. In fact, your comments may well be the ones that convince me to just go home to have this baby. I know you have lived here all your life, and have a lot of experience with the health care system. If you are telling me to go home, I should probably listen :) As for Swim & Gym, we'll probably only miss the last 2 weeks of the session, which we likely would have missed due to Thanksgiving anyway. Trying to make this decision has been a huge distraction, which I can hopefully put behind me soon so I can focus on the rest of the preparations I need to make to get ready for this baby! BTW, I know time flies, but you couldn't possibly have forgotten that I'm due on your birthday, right? ;)

I don't know you at all - but your above post is pretty clear - you would feel better by coming back to the states. Since you are all going to be Canadian citizens soon anyway - it won't matter that your youngest child was born in the US. Follow your gut.

Thanks so much for this. I know in my heart this is what I am thinking too. I was just finding it hard to justify paying an extra $500+ plus a lot of paperwork hassle for the next several months, just because I'm being a "wimp" about having my baby in Canada, and being sentimental about her having the same birthplace as myself and my other kids. I guess I was afraid that, at somepoint in the greencard paperwork process, there might be additional unforeseen expenses, or additional documents requested causing delays, etc., and we'll feel stuck and regretful that we didn't just get her automatic citizenship the easy way. On the other hand, it is not too likely that we (or she) will regret her having a Canadian birthplace, but if we do, that can't be changed. The paperwork, though, will eventually be sorted out and the citizenship obtained, albeit after quite an effort.

If I were on the other side of the world (like the posters in Germany and the UK), I probably wouldn't give it a second thought, just have the baby and do the consulate birth declaration. As someone pointed out, though, I am fortunate enough to be able to go home fairly quickly and easily (I could conceivably go into labor and drive the 2 hours home across the border if I had to!), and since I am due the day before Thanksgiving, when I would normally be spending a week or so with my parents anyway, it is actually a bit more convenient than staying in Canada.

Thanks for everyone's input, and please feel free to share any further insights. This isn't a decision I wanted to make based on being an emotional wimp, and your objective opinions are helping me to see the options in a clearer light.

I don't know the benefits of dual citizenship, but based on what you have stated here, I would definitely give birth in the U.S. where you feel you will get better medical care, family support and feel more comfortable. To me, that would be much more important than the dual citizenship. And, of course, for a little more hassle, it sounds like you could get that as well if you wanted it.

Lisa

Hi,

I wanted to chime in that 3 of my children were born in Canada. I had wonderful births and wonderful hospital care. I had a harder time in the US. Now, it was BC so that might have made a difference. The hospital in the US seemed quicker to offer interventions, more nervous about the baby's size, etc. I think it's great that they have the option to live/go to school in Canada without everything we went through.

We have had no problem with the Consular Birth Abroad being accepted as a Birth Certificate but we also bring the Birth Cert. along in case it is needed.

HTH,

As your dd will have Canadian citizenship when you and your dh get yours, and because of the medical care that you'll end up with in Canada, I'd opt for having the baby in the US. The only down side to it, from what it sounds, is that it will cost a bit more money. You'll be doing the paperwork for the rest of the kids, so paperwork for one more probably won't make a huge difference. Honestly, a good birth experience would be worth the few hundred dollars that you'll have to put into getting her citizenship later, at least in my opinion.

I can't speak to the Canada issue, but two of our kids were born in Germany. The only problem it has ever caused us is one bureaucrat entered ds's birthdate as the day the Certificate of Live Birth Abroad was issued. Those are not the same thing and it took about a year to get it straightened out. He had 2 birthdates in various government computers for a while.

Cleo - I really value and appreciate your opinion.

thank you!

In fact, your comments may well be the ones that convince me to just go home to have this baby. I know you have lived here all your life, and have a lot of experience with the health care system. If you are telling me to go home, I should probably listen :)

BTW, I know time flies, but you couldn't possibly have forgotten that I'm due on your birthday, right? ;)

There's one thing that might influence your decision, although it's an unlikely thing. I've heard of people being singled out in foreign countries (aka war zones) due to a US birthplace. Over all, when travelling, a Canadian birthplace (not just a passport, an actual birthplace) is safer. Americans are often targets in hostage situations. But what will be the odds? That would be my only argument to consider birthing in Canada, were I in your shoes. But I am not, and all my kids are born in Quebec. :tongue_smilie:

As for your due date being on my birthday, no, I hadn't forgotten. It's just that I'm trying to avoid this particular birthday. .It's not coming, it's not coming... Lalallalala I can't hear ya!

In the urban area where I currently live, there is definitely a shortage of doctors, and a more institutionalized, less personal feel to the care I have received. I just read the policies at the hospital where I would defacto give birth here in Canada. I am *allowed* one support person in addition to my husband, and my other children are *allowed* to visit from 10am to 8pm. Any other visitors (as in my parents, etc.) are *allowed* from 2pm to 8pm. Hey, I'm the one giving birth here, *I* will decide who I want in the delivery room with me, and who I want to visit me and when. In fact, my dd10 almost wasn't allowed up to my SIL's room to see her new cousin the day after her birth, because she was too young. Please. I never thought twice about these "policies" with my previous births back home. Just goes against my independent homeschooler spirit, I guess.

You need to come to Halifax and give birth at the IWK Health Centre! It's the best women's and children's hospital in eastern Canada. People who work there love their jobs and love the people who need their services. If I have to take a child to the hospital, the experience is always made easier by the workers there.

I'm American, with kids born in Canada. They have dual citizenship (as do I), and they have never had a problem crossing borders. I haven't applied for either nation's passport for them yet, but I don't anticipate a problem - they have the proper documentation. I declare them American going into America, and Canadian when we return. It has never been a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

What did you decide?

By the way, I never show my birth certificate for anything. I use my passport for all official documents; doesn't matter where you were born, everyone accepts a passport! (You just have to keep it up to date, whereas a birth certificate doesn't expire.)

With my 3 dc I had prenatal care in 3 different countries (Marshall Islands, NZ, & Fiji) & gave birth to my dd in the US & both my boys were born in NZ. I would have prefered to have given birth to my boys in the US only to have my Mom close by as she was for my dd's birth. But anti-natal care was better in NZ than what I recieved in the US.

All 3 of my dc are dual citizens (NZ/US). Dd has a US birth place, while the boys have a NZ birthplace. This makes no difference at all to their American citizenship. When we renew their passports, we just send in the previous passport. The only time we needed their birth certificates was when applying for the boys' Consular Report of Birth Abroad certificates & we applied for their first passports at the same time. All 3 of my dc will have problems passing on their American citizenship to their own children as they have lived outside the US for most of their lives. As far as where they consider "home"... "home" is where we live at the moment. Home is where family is & where we feel we belong. They consider themselves both American & NZers. When asked where in the US they are from, they say VT as that is where I grew up & where our family lives. They have a connection there whether they grew up there or not.

My main concern with returning to the US to give birth would be the cost. Dd's birth would have cost us US$20k, if we did not qualify for Dr. Dinosaur insurance. By contrast my boys' births were completely free, including the home visits by the mid-wife in the weeks after they were born.

JMHO

Edited by Deb in NZ

different experience than cleo's friends:

i have had babies in germany, canada and usa, and kingston general hospital in kingston ontario canada wins hands down. i had a birthing room with a hospital bed that looked like a normal bed until you needed its end to drop away, and the rest of the room was like a hotel room; it was lovely. i had a shower i could use, i could walk to my heart's content, there were ice chips available that i could get myself or someone else could get them, there was a midwife (and an ob/gyn on call). they offered pain killers and respected my refusal. (in germany, no pain killers given; in the usa they kept pushing and pushing them until i finally had to resort to being rude "what part of no don't you understand? this is my third/fourth baby. i know what i'm saying.) they also wouldn't let me walk and wanted me hooked up to monitors the whole time. in the other two countries, they hooked me up occasionally to check. in germany i was on a stretcher, and in the usa i was in a hospital bed.

good luck.

ann

This was close to my experience. I gave birth to mine at a maternity hospital here in NS. Private birthing room, private bath, support for my decisions, lots of options, relaxed and kind staff....

I think the Canada/US thing is a red herring and frankly it matters more what doctor and hospital you're working with. Some places in Canada you'll just be another number while in some places in the US you'll just be another dollar sign. Many places in both countries will offer wonderful experiences. It's all comes down to what it always come down to, doing a bit of research before you make your choice.

To the OP, go with what will give you the best experience. You're not closing any doors for your child by making either choice. He's certainly not going to remember the experience. You are. Go with what will be the most relaxing, stress-free option for you.

You need to come to Halifax and give birth at the IWK Health Centre! It's the best women's and children's hospital in eastern Canada. People who work there love their jobs and love the people who need their services. If I have to take a child to the hospital, the experience is always made easier by the workers there.

Ditto. :D That's where mine were born. It really didn't feel like a hospital, more like a hotel where there happened to be some nurses and doctors and I haven't heard a description of an American maternity hospital that the IWK couldn't match in every aspect. I didn't know what to expect with my first but I know I certainly didn't expect private delivery rooms with easy chairs and private baths. :)

We also upgraded to a private recovery room for Harry instead of the 4 person rooms. I think our private insurance covered it but we may have had to pay a couple of hundred. Maybe? Regardless, a couple of hundred for a few nights at an exclusive hotel where I'm pampered AND get to come home with a baby? Awesome! :D

i have kept thinking about you. i am wondering if you will need to stay in the usa until you have a visa for the baby. i just don't know, but i'm sure someone can tell you.

i agree with the poster who said it depends where in each country rather than between countries. however, the statistics are worth noting:

the infant mortality rate in canada per 100,000 is 5.04.

in the usa it is 6.22.

the maternal mortality rate in canada per 100,000 is 5.0

the maternal mortality rate in the usa is 15.5 (but for women over 35 it is 38) - the usa ranks 42nd in the world for maternal mortality.

so quality of care can be subjective, but outcome of care is more quantifiable. and by that measure, we here south of the border have some real work to do in the area of maternal care!

hope it all goes well,

ann