Menu

Where do you buy your kids shoes?

I've managed to get their shoes from thrift shops in the past, but my boys are starting to get really picky and complaining about wanting NEW shoes. Plus my oldest son is actually in a men's size and that's harder to find in thrift shops in decent shape. I'll try Payless. Thanks.

It's a discount store and they do sell children's shoes at decent prices. Name brands. We also have a Gabriel Brothers which is more hit-or-miss but when you can find what you are looking for, it's a good price. Also try Target clearances. Even their regular prices aren't that bad. I've found that Payless prices are getting higher and higher and often aren't much less than other stores. But...they do have those BOGO 1/2 off sales. :)

Payless. My DS has been wearing the same pair of dress shoes from there every day since the end of August and they still look great.

My son needs new dress shoes, but he's growing so fast, I don't want to put a lot of money into expensive shoes that he only wears a few months. Where do you go for inexpensive decent quality shoes?

We have a Scetchers outlet about a half an hour away that has really good prices. I also like looking in Marshalls and TJ Maxx. After summer I buy sandals for my DS at the Gap for less than $10. We live in South Florida so sandals are always in season.

Much to my stepmother's chagrin...

I use:

1. Wal-Mart (very cute shoes when they have them. Excellent prices)
  2. Target (Always cute shoes. Prices usually too high, but I occasionally find a pair.)
  3. Meijer (See Target)
  4. Payless (Wal-Mart like selection - meaning hit or miss. I only buy their shoes on sale. Their sale prices land between Wal-Mart and Target regular prices.)

I don't have time to even look for shoes anywhere else.

Older one has had them from:

Target, Wal-Mart, Shoe Carnival, Stride Rite, Lands End, and various dept. stores.

Younger:

That boy has a Stride Rite foot. Until this year, all had to come from there otherwise not wide enough. I just this year was able to get him some from Shoe Carnival, Lands End, and a local hiking store going out of business. Otherwise, more Stride Rite.

Target, Walmart, Shoe Carnival (when I can stand it). I never buy used shoes. My dd's orthopedist said never to wear used shoes because the previous wearers foot has impressed the sole and that can cause problems for the next wearer. So, we never get used shoes, but I do hold out for sales when I can.

Several of their lines fit my children just as well as the more expensive shoes, and they hold up better than Wal-Mart IMHO. I often pass on the dress shoes to friends' children, and the sneakers last a good 8-10 months (which is a lot considering how much outside time my children have).

Another person for Payless. My dd really liked a pair of Crocs in another store, but for the price of one pair I could get several pairs at payless. We just went shopping this weekend for warm weather shoes. I got three pair for each dd for about the price of the shoes my four year old wanted.

Just to let you know... Payless is having BOGO right now. Also if you did not know Payless gives a AAA (15 or 20% I can't remember) discount on top of BOGO if you show your AAA card.

Sometimes I get a clerk that wants to argue with me about it, but I just tell them that I have done it before with the manager at various stores and they give me the discount.

I think AAA has information about the discount on their website.

If you know what size you need, check out Amazon, and shop by discount. I've gotten some name brand shoes (Stride Rite, Lelli Kelly, Columbia) for about what I've paid at Payless.

If you want to try Amazon, go to kids' shoes and look on the left side of the screen for discount (scroll down if you have to). You can plug in your child's gender and size, and then choose the seller if you want to (Amazon ships for free), and discount (70% off is where I start).

At the cheap thrift store (which I love), shoes are $8. At WM or Payless, they're $9-$12, so we generally go w the latter. The shoes at the thrift store tend to look really worn. Which is a shame, since the ones we buy hardly ever get used, lol.

If only someone would make up a new rule that said for kids, ______ color shoes match everything. Period. <sigh>

Oh, or stretchable shoes. :D