Menu

Today is the day.

My 9yo, 7yo, and 6yo go to ps for the first time ever this morning.

The 9yo and 7yo are going so they can get special ed services and OT and ST. We also want to get all the diagnosis/IEP work done this year before I go to work. The 6yo is going because she wants to. The 12yo and 4yo are staying home for this year (they'll both go next year.)

:crying:

I'll be spending my "free time" studying for the CPA exam and getting ready to move.

I am going to miss them so much!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You'll be fine. The kids will be fine. BTDT.

One word of advice: Don't let things slip while the kids are in school. I found that attitudes were worse (I'm CERTAIN it was because of the exposure. Kids these days................. don't get me started!) and I found it difficult to deal with all the freedom other kids had (14 year olds with co-ed sleep overs, 12 year olds out unsupervised until midnight, etc) My kids felt so deprived. I let my guard down a few times and the results of doing so were catastrophic. One biggie was the football (a no-no our entire lives until I caved in) and my son is STILL suffering the affects of that a year later..... and likely will for life. (we're having him evaluated for a brain lesion right now, a process that will take weeks, if not months, and cost big bucks)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You'll be fine. The kids will be fine. BTDT.

One word of advice: Don't let things slip while the kids are in school. I found that attitudes were worse (I'm CERTAIN it was because of the exposure. Kids these days................. don't get me started!) and I found it difficult to deal with all the freedom other kids had (14 year olds with co-ed sleep overs, 12 year olds out unsupervised until midnight, etc) My kids felt so deprived. I let my guard down a few times and the results of doing so were catastrophic. One biggie was the football (a no-no our entire lives until I caved in) and my son is STILL suffering the affects of that a year later..... and likely will for life. (we're having him evaluated for a brain lesion right now, a process that will take weeks, if not months, and cost big bucks)

Thanks, Denise, and everyone else.

I took them, met their teachers, and left them there. No one cried (not even me.)

My 7yo went into the 1st grade - he's almost 8, but academically and socially he is more 6 than 8. At first his teacher wanted him to stand outside and wait for the bell (so he could start making some friends), but she saw the look of horror on his face and asked him if he'd rather sit inside and look at a book.

My 9yo shook his teacher's hand when introduced and looked her right in the eye when he did it. I was so proud of him! He went into the third grade. He and the 7yo may be switching schools in a couple of weeks to another elementary that has a larger special ed department.

My 6yo dd went into first grade and she was fine. Her teacher didn't even know she was coming - the K teacher who tested her Friday was supposed to go over and talk to her, but never did. She'll be fine, too.

*I* didn't even cry!:D I left and went to the grocery store with just 2 dc and it was too easy.:tongue_smilie:

ETA: This was very hard for dh and I, but it really is best for everyone involved. I have a lot to do between now and the end of the school year (the CPA exam will take some WORK!) Next year, everyone will be in school so I can work full-time while dh goes back to school. Four years from now the goal is to not be so broke.

Edited by Renee in FL

It was not a good day for my 9yo.

The registrar assured me that the teachers had been informed of their special needs, so I didn't take up the teachers' time just before school to talk about it.

I don't know what they were told, but even though I ASSURED my 9yo that his teacher knew he couldn't read, she didn't. He had to tell her and her response (too loudly for him - the other students around him heard her) was, "You can't READ?" At some other point, he asked her for help and he was told he had to do it for himself. Poor kid!

At some point he ended up in the office, crying. I was not called - the secretary told me when I stopped in to ask another question. I have to find out exactly what happened - at times his language issues get in the way of story re-tellings, especially when he is upset.

I hope it was a miscommunication and she really just didn't know. I was under the impression that he was going to have help in the room. He said there was another lady there most of the day, but she was doing stuff for the teacher, not helping him.

So, here he was, a kid who tests as mildly MR, thrown to the wolves, so to speak. Instead of a supportive enviroment for a kid with severe special needs, he was just another kid in a 3rd grade room. I am just so sad for him!

Dh asked him if anyone picked on him, and he said, "Of course not! I am bigger than everyone!":lol: He *is* almost 5 feet tall!

OTOH, my 7yo slid right into first grade and LOVES it, as did my 6yo.

I took them, met their teachers, and left them there. No one cried (not even me.)

Wonderful, Renee. Thanks for posting the update!

ETA: Oh, Renee, I was typing my comment as you were typing your 9yods's experience. I'm so sorry. I am praying this morning that today is a better day for him, that yesterday is quickly forgotten.

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

It was not a good day for my 9yo.

The registrar assured me that the teachers had been informed of their special needs, so I didn't take up the teachers' time just before school to talk about it.

I don't know what they were told, but even though I ASSURED my 9yo that his teacher knew he couldn't read, she didn't. He had to tell her and her response (too loudly for him - the other students around him heard her) was, "You can't READ?" At some other point, he asked her for help and he was told he had to do it for himself. Poor kid!

At some point he ended up in the office, crying. I was not called - the secretary told me when I stopped in to ask another question. I have to find out exactly what happened - at times his language issues get in the way of story re-tellings, especially when he is upset.

I hope it was a miscommunication and she really just didn't know. I was under the impression that he was going to have help in the room. He said there was another lady there most of the day, but she was doing stuff for the teacher, not helping him.

So, here he was, a kid who tests as mildly MR, thrown to the wolves, so to speak. Instead of a supportive enviroment for a kid with severe special needs, he was just another kid in a 3rd grade room. I am just so sad for him!

Oh, that's horrible! I'm so sorry for him!

:grouphug: