Menu

Do you have a canister vacuum that you love (or hate)?

I love my electrolux. We inherited it from DH's grandparents; I don't know that I could bring myself to spend that much on a vacuum cleaner. But it was broken for a few months, and I went out and bought a cheap upright at Wal-mart...I finally gave up on it and paid (more than we paid for the cheap vacuum) to get the electrolux fixed. I'm totally spoiled. Once I wrote a poem about my electrolux, even.

The Miele Capricorn is very nice! It's quiet and has great suction. My favorite feature is the light at the base so that you can really see exactly how dirty the floor is and where it needs attention. It has a luxurious feel (for a vacuum).

I highly recommend the Miele Capricorn. It is sturdy, effective, and using it is a pleasure. The light feature is an added plus.

Miele Callisto and it was worth every darn cent I paid for it.

I see that the Callisto and Capricorn are in Miele's top line (Full sized) with electric hoses. Just curious, why did you choose these over the other lines? Do the large size and electric hose make a big difference?

I had been looking at the Titan (compact with electric hose) and the Neptune (mid sized, no electric hose), but I don't want to spend a lot of money and then wish I had gone one step better, if YKWIM.

Just to think that, as of this morning, I didn't know vacuums could cost more that $1,000!!

I have a Miele and love it. I hope to some day upgrade to a higher end model that does carpet better.

I'd love to know what model you think needs upgrading -- that might be one to avoid.

Ellie & Kokotg -- I have an old Electrolux too, but the cost of repairing them is high enough that I am thinking of a new vacuum.

I see that the Callisto and Capricorn are in Miele's top line (Full sized) with electric hoses. Just curious, why did you choose these over the other lines? Do the large size and electric hose make a big difference?.

I wanted an electric hose because I have mixed flooring through the house. I wanted a heavy duty machine that could do a great job no matter the flooring. I'm a nut about clean floors.

The vacuum cleaner with the parquet attachment gets the wooden floors so clean that I can have my kids swiffer right after and get virtually no dust.

I didn't mind the outlay since I had owned Miele appliances abroad and was very happy with them. Also, I wanted to buy one vacuum to last forever, not one every couple of years.

I was SO TIRED of dealing with vacuums that didn't work well. I wanted something that I wouldn't regret buying. My husband was leaving to go to Switzerland for eight months last year for work, and he was feeling guilty about it, so I could ask for anything I wanted and get it.

There are many places online to buy vacuums from, but I went to a vacuum cleaner store here in town to buy my Miele. It was a great experience -- the salesman was really helpful. He showed me how to take it apart, how to put the bag in, how the controls worked, etc. I was able to go back to him a few months ago and buy more bags -- we have a friendly relationship. If anything goes wrong, I know I can go right to him for service. And I don't think my vacuum cost any more at the store than it would have online.

I had been looking at the Titan (compact with electric hose) and the Neptune (mid sized, no electric hose), but I don't want to spend a lot of money and then wish I had gone one step better, if YKWIM.

I have a Miele Titan and I love it!!! It cleans wood & tile floors better than anything I've ever used, and the large power head gets carpets cleaner than I thought possible. I spent an entire afternoon at the vacuum store going through all the models, and I decided that, for me, the extra features in the more expensive models were just not worth the additional $$$. I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Titan at all. :001_smile:

Jackie

I have a Miele Titan and I love it!!! It cleans wood & tile floors better than anything I've ever used, and the large power head gets carpets cleaner than I thought possible. I spent an entire afternoon at the vacuum store going through all the models, and I decided that, for me, the extra features in the more expensive models were just not worth the additional $$$. I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Titan at all. :001_smile:

Jackie

This is one I was considering, since it is "moderately" priced (at least in Miele terms).

There are many places online to buy vacuums from, but I went to a vacuum cleaner store here in town to buy my Miele. It was a great experience -- the salesman was really helpful. He showed me how to take it apart, how to put the bag in, how the controls worked, etc. I was able to go back to him a few months ago and buy more bags -- we have a friendly relationship. If anything goes wrong, I know I can go right to him for service. And I don't think my vacuum cost any more at the store than it would have online.

I've made a list of the vacuum stores in my area -- none of them have any websites, so I will go and look. But Bed, Bath and beyond has the Titan -- and I have a 20% off coupon, so I am already feeling guilty about taking up a store owner's time. But I would definitely like to see a bigger range of Mieles than what BBB has. Thanks for the advice!