Menu

Do you put plastic items in your dishwasher?

I've been learning about the dangers of this, and have begun handwashing plastic dishes. Does anyone else handwash plastic instead of running it through the dishwasher?

Evidently the high temps plus the harsh detergent cause the plastic to break down and leach chemicals.

But then, I still use my automatic coffee maker which runs really hot water through plastic to make coffee :glare: I wonder if my coffee maker is BPA free :glare:

The only plastics in my kitchen are the lids to my glass storage wear. I do put them in the dishwasher.

Oh, I do have plastic cups now for the foster boy but that is it.

Same. We have Ikea plastic cups for visiting kids (I know my own does fine with glass, but not so much with his friends), and other than the lids to my glass storage stuff, that's it.

I put my plastics on the top rack of the dishwasher only, AND i run my dishwasher on a lower temp. We have Royal Doulton china and i have gone with their recommendations on water temp, washing powder etc. They have specific recommendations so that you do not damage the patterns on the china. So far so good both with the plastics and china :)

Top rack! And I throw it out when it gets that white scabby lookin' stuff on it.

Same here. I actually find that it is much more difficult to get grease, odors and stains (especially spaghetti sauce!) out of plastic by handwashing than other materials, but the dishwasher does the trick.

I always pre-rinse everything going into the dishwasher, to the point that there is not a single trace of food left on anything (afraid of something getting baked on in there!), so my purpose in using the dishwasher is for sanitizing, as well as removing oil and odors. This is of greatest concern with plastic.

I do not re-heat in plastic, but never thought much about the chemical issue with the dishwasher.

I do put my plastics in the dishwasher, top rack only, but all of my plastic is BPA-free so I don't think it's a problem (at least that's what I tell myself, anyway).

I think it is the BPA that is the problem. I need to sort out my plastic by number anyway, and get rid of the dangerous numbers.

Here is a link to what the numbers mean...

http://ecovillagegreen.com/903/what-do-the-plastic-recycling-numbers-mean/

I think it is the BPA that is the problem.

BPA is one problem, but harmful chemicals can still leach off of BPA-free plastics.

The FDA requires testing of any plastic that's going to be labelled microwave safe, but I'm not sure if they have any similar regulations for plastics to be dishwasher-safe.

The thing is, tests have shown that some of the nasty chemicals can be transferred to your food even at cold temperatures. So I would prefer not to have my food touching plastics in any case, but especially plastics that are subjected to heat and detergent in the dishwasher, which can break down the plastic so it is more likely to transfer to food.

That being said, I frequently use ziplock bags and plastic wrap, and I occasionally use a plastic plate or bowl. All our glass and ceramic bowls have plastic lids.

Does anyone know if the glaze used on ceramics (say, Corningware, or porcelain plates) has plastic in it?