Menu

Nook vs. Kindle??

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday and got a good look at the Nook. I was almost set to buy myself a Kindle, but the Nook looks great as well. Does anyone know enough about both to compare them? One thing I liked about Nook is that you can set as many bookmarks within a book as you want. I like this for my Bible reading. Can Kindle do that? I see Kindle is backordered until mid-September, another plus for Nook.

Who loves their Nooks and Kindles?

I was at Barnes and Noble yesterday and got a good look at the Nook. I was almost set to buy myself a Kindle, but the Nook looks great as well. Does anyone know enough about both to compare them? One thing I liked about Nook is that you can set as many bookmarks within a book as you want. I like this for my Bible reading. Can Kindle do that? I see Kindle is backordered until mid-September, another plus for Nook.

I recently got a Nook, but I haven't yet fallen in love with it. Regarding the Bible, I have not convinced myself that the Nook is a good Bible reader. From the reviews that I have read for Bibles that you can get, it is difficult to navigate to the point where you want to read. (FWIW, I have a couple of Bible readers on my Android phone which are excellent.) I also get the impression that bookmarks are very limited. It appears you can create bookmarks that say "Page 115," but that is it. Anyway, does anyone know of a good way to read the Bible on the Nook? If so, which Bible? Can you do more with the bookmarks?

I don't know whether or not you can do this on the Kindle, but one of my favorite things about the Nook is that you can put PDFs on it. I like to read really long feature articles in magazines and newspapers, etc., but I rarely have time to read it all at once. So I save them as PDFs, put them on the Nook and read them when I can.

If you would have asked me a few weeks ago before the Kindle 3 was announced, I would have said to get the Nook, but now that the K3 is out I've ordered one.

Kindles seem to have a very good track record for reliability and Amazon CS is usually excellent if any issues come up with something you ordered through them. The new Kindle looks VERY nice with the Pearl e-ink screen and page turns are supposed to be much faster than they are on the Nook.

If you think you will use an ereader a lot for library books I'd say go with the Nook, but otherwise the K3 may be the best one to go with. I want an ereader mainly for free classics which I can get on either the kindle or the nook, though some people have said the b&n classics are formatted very well compared to the typical pdf. However, the kindle supports bookmarks and annotations in pdf files now whereas I'm not sure if the Nook does.

The pricepoint on the wifi Kindle is excellent as well - $139 for such a high-quality ereader is impressive.

From what I understand, the dictionary on the kindle is better, and the kindle also lets you create folder systems whereas I don't believe the Nook does. I'm really liking the idea of being able to create folders for classics, new releases, books I'm currently reading, books I've read, etc. so I don't have just one huge list of books but I can organize them how I want to. I can even create folders for different Ambleside years which has me quite excited!

I don't know whether or not you can do this on the Kindle, but one of my favorite things about the Nook is that you can put PDFs on it. I like to read really long feature articles in magazines and newspapers, etc., but I rarely have time to read it all at once. So I save them as PDFs, put them on the Nook and read them when I can.
This feature was added to Kindle soon after the release of the Nook.

One question I have is whether there is any way to add files to the Nook other than side-loading them using a cable and a computer. It would be nice to get files using the browser...

I recently got a Nook, but I haven't yet fallen in love with it. Regarding the Bible, I have not convinced myself that the Nook is a good Bible reader. From the reviews that I have read for Bibles that you can get, it is difficult to navigate to the point where you want to read. (FWIW, I have a couple of Bible readers on my Android phone which are excellent.) I also get the impression that bookmarks are very limited. It appears you can create bookmarks that say "Page 115," but that is it. Anyway, does anyone know of a good way to read the Bible on the Nook? If so, which Bible? Can you do more with the bookmarks?

RegGuheert,

I thought for a long time that using a reader for the Bible would never do. Nothing beats holding your worn Bible in your hand, being able to flip back and forth between sticky notes and writing in the margins. But I decided I would try to use it for the Bible reading system I've been using (I think it's Prof Horners), which uses ten lists (OT, NT, Acts, prophets, psalms, etc), where you read one chapter from each list a day. It takes about thirty minutes or so. I thought the Nook/Kindle would be good for this, then I would use my trusty Bible for my in-depth studying. With the Nook, the lady showed me how easy it is to bookmark, where I could set a bookmark for each list, although I don't think I can give it a name (like you said, just "page 100,etc". But at least you were able to bookmark ten places in a book. I don't know how Kindle deals with this feature.

I've been resisting an e-reader for a long time, but I'm breaking down.

RegGuheert,

I thought for a long time that using a reader for the Bible would never do. Nothing beats holding your worn Bible in your hand, being able to flip back and forth between sticky notes and writing in the margins. But I decided I would try to use it for the Bible reading system I've been using (I think it's Prof Horners), which uses ten lists (OT, NT, Acts, prophets, psalms, etc), where you read one chapter from each list a day. It takes about thirty minutes or so. I thought the Nook/Kindle would be good for this, then I would use my trusty Bible for my in-depth studying. With the Nook, the lady showed me how easy it is to bookmark, where I could set a bookmark for each list, although I don't think I can give it a name (like you said, just "page 100,etc". But at least you were able to bookmark ten places in a book. I don't know how Kindle deals with this feature.

I guess I'm just wondering how you will know which bookmark is which if they are "page 120," "page 401," etc. I suppose you could just do it by order. Maybe... I have the Nook here and I have a couple of Bible "samples" that I can play with. If you have any specific questions about how things work, I'd be happy to give it a try.

One reason I bought a Nook is because it runs on the Android platform. Android is an open-source operating system from Google, meaning all of the source code is available to the world. The result is that it is possible to enable much more functionality than is provided by B&N. For instance, here is a site devoted to that topic. The page I linked lists applications that have already been ported to Nook such as file browsers for the SD card and Pandora for listening to music. The list of applications is growing rapidly. I'm expecting that some of the excellent Android Bible readers may soon show up here. We will see.

I've been resisting an e-reader for a long time, but I'm breaking down.
I'm a little embarrassed to say how I got mine: My daughter bought it for me for *early* Christmas using her book dollars from her college bookstore, which happens to be run by B&N. REALLY, I only twisted her arm a little... :blushing: She's a bright girl, so I'm sure sure she can get by this semester without that chemistry textbook! ;)

So I guess the deciding factor factor for me is the bookmarking. Can someone with a Kindle PLEASE answer these questions;

Can you set unlimited bookmarks within a book; and

Can you NAME the bookmarks?

I so appreciate it!!

Yes, you can set unlimited bookmarks within a book. You can not name the bookmarks, but when you pull them up, it shows the first sentence or two of the spot you bookmarked. You could, however, add a note that could be the name of the list, or whatever you needed to name that spot.

A couple things about bookmarks which may be relevant to how you want to use the reader: pulling up your bookmarks also pulls up any notes you have typed in, and any spots you have highlighted. So if you do have a lot of notes, highlights and bookmarks then that could be a lot to wade through to find each spot. Also, you would need to manually delete each bookmark, or else you'll have every chapter bookmarked...

I've been researching both because I want one for my b-day in October. I actually brought my tech support (DH) with me last night to ask all his geek questions. I've decided to go with the Nook. You can replace the Nook's battery yourself. With Kindle you have to send it into Amazon. That was a big negative for me. You can add a memory card if you want to store more books on your Nook. That is not an option with Kindle. Also, Kindle uses proprietary software while Nook uses epub which is apparently an open format. With Nook you can borrow ebooks from the library if your library offers that (mine does). You can lend & borrow books on the Nook once for a 2 week period. You can't do that with the Kindle. Nook operates on the Android platform so the software updates as things change -- you don't need to buy an entire new unit. The Nook has already had 4 software updates since it came out, according to the person at the store. Our store offers free monthly sessions on how to use your Nook. I like being able to hop in my car and drive 10 minutes to the store if I run into the problem instead of dealing with Amazon's customer service. I've dealt with them before on shipping issues and my experience was less than satisfactory.

The only real benefit I see with the Kindle is it appears to be more user-friendly. I read that you can use it right out of the box with no set-up (at least that's what they advertise). I know Nook takes some set-up. Since I'm married to my DH, I don't have to worry about that because he'll figure it all out for me :D

I love my Kindle. You can put as many bookmarks as you would like. I am mainly using it to read the Bible right now. It's much easier on my wrists than a Bible when I'm laying on the couch reading. I usually try to delete my old bookmarks so that I can see where I am easily. If I wanted to highlight or make notes, those markings show up in the same file as the bookmarks ("My notes and marks").

I do wish I could borrow library books. And I wish I could read Google books (sPubs) on it. I can put PDF versions of Google books on the Kindle, but I don't love reading PDF's on it. I recently discovered MobileReads.com, where you can find public domain books in Mobi format for the Kindle.

Really, if you are new to e-readers, I think you will love whichever one you get. :001_smile:

ETA: Kindle also does software updates over its network. I just had mine upgrade itself a couple of weeks ago.

Oh, and I also like the dedicated keyboard. Touch screen keyboards are not my friends.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Even with the release of the new Kindle, I would still choose the Nook. The only thing I like better about the Kindle is how it organizes the ebooks.

For me, you can't beat the Lend Me feature, and the option to borrow books from the library. I have had my Nook since May, and I have probably borrowed about 20 books!

I'm a little embarrassed to say how I got mine: My daughter bought it for me for *early* Christmas using her book dollars from her college bookstore, which happens to be run by B&N. REALLY, I only twisted her arm a little... :blushing: She's a bright girl, so I'm sure sure she can get by this semester without that chemistry textbook! ;)

Oh, really, you don't say? Tsk, tsk.

BTW, I will remember that you said in print that you already got your Christmas present!

:D

I love my Kindle. You can put as many bookmarks as you would like. I am mainly using it to read the Bible right now.
Do you find navigation in the Bible to be difficult on the Kindle? On the Nook, it is quite cumbersome: Let's say you want to read in Psalm 100. You would first go to the TOC, move to Old Testament, then click down to Psalms. Once that page comes up, you would then click the down arrow 99 times to get to Psalm 100. Then you open that page and then you would click the down arrow again until you get to the verse you want. It is pretty painful.

If your Bible is NOT like this on Kindle, can you please tell me which one you downloaded, as sometimes the same versions (in terms of formatting) are available on both Kindle and Nook? TIA!

Get an iPad!!

I LOVE that I can use the Kindle app, the iBooks app, OR the B&N app to purchase/read books. I LOVE that I don't have to have a light to read. I dim my backlight a bit to keep it from giving me a headache.

I had a Kindle for a short time. I like my iPad soooo much more!!

Get an iPad!!

I LOVE that I can use the Kindle app, the iBooks app, OR the B&N app to purchase/read books. I LOVE that I don't have to have a light to read. I dim my backlight a bit to keep it from giving me a headache.

I had a Kindle for a short time. I like my iPad soooo much more!!

I agree this is probably the best choice for e-reader. In my mind, there are two major strikes against Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader:

1) No backlight, which makes reading in the dark difficult :tongue_smilie:

2) They are not touchscreens, which makes book navigation much more difficult.

I find that it is *much* easier to navigate the Bible using the Nook application on my Android cell phone than to navigate directly on the Nook. I can also read in the dark. The main drawback of the phone is that the display is only 3.7" versus 6" for the Nook.

I would prefer to have an Android version of the iPad (1, 2 and 3). KMart sells one today for $150, but it looks pretty cheesy.

The bad thing about an Ipad..for me...is that it's backlit. It's very bad for your eyes that way and gives me a major headache. I know that's not a problem for a lot of people, but it is def. a consideration.

I went with the nook after a LOT of research. The main reasons is that I was able to download books from the library (my library has a LOT of epub books and PDF books) and you could lend to your friends.

I would rather the page turner to work a bit differently. I like Kindle's page turner better than the nook. I have no need for a key pad so the alpha buttons on the kindle would just take up space for me.

I think it's really just a matter of opinion. If you can hold both, I would. I have a friend with a kindle and another with a nook. I was able to 'play' with both of them before I bought it.

Do you find navigation in the Bible to be difficult on the Kindle? On the Nook, it is quite cumbersome: Let's say you want to read in Psalm 100. You would first go to the TOC, move to Old Testament, then click down to Psalms. Once that page comes up, you would then click the down arrow 99 times to get to Psalm 100. Then you open that page and then you would click the down arrow again until you get to the verse you want. It is pretty painful.

If your Bible is NOT like this on Kindle, can you please tell me which one you downloaded, as sometimes the same versions (in terms of formatting) are available on both Kindle and Nook? TIA!

Well, you may not like the version that I have. It's an LDS Version of the scriptures (including the KJV of the Bible) that someone fully indexed and sells on Amazon. It does have nice navigation, though. Each book, chapter, and verse is linked. I don't think I can explain it well, so I'll just post some screen shots of how I navigated to Psalms 99 (it took 4 clicks--5 if you include navigating over to the TOC).

ETA: I think the ease of navigation varies widely. It's entirely dependent on how well the TOC was indexed. I chose this particular version of the LDS scriptures because the navigation was so much better than the version that cost half as much.

Edited by bonniebeth4

Well, you may not like the version that I have. It's an LDS Version of the scriptures (including the KJV of the Bible) that someone fully indexed and sells on Amazon. It does have nice navigation, though. Each book, chapter, and verse is linked. I don't think I can explain it well, so I'll just post some screen shots of how I navigated to Psalms 99 (it took 4 clicks--5 if you include navigating over to the TOC).

ETA: I think the ease of navigation varies widely. It's entirely dependent on how well the TOC was indexed. I chose this particular version of the LDS scriptures because the navigation was so much better than the version that cost half as much.

Thanks! I prefer KJV, so this might work for me! The sample I have is from a Bible which includes Deuterocanonical literature in addition to the KJV Bible for $0.99. It includes similar indexing except that it does not include the indexing to the verses within the chapters. This is not a major problem, because you can usually flip through pages to get to the desired verse pretty quickly. Still, it looks like you would have to press the down arrow 149 times to read the last chapter of Psalms, just as I would with this Bible. Can you confirm that my understanding is correct?

Regarding the bookmarks, I cannot help but think that this feature will soon be improved on the Nook. Apparently Kindle has done a slightly better job, but both could use improvements in this area. Perhaps the new Kindle 3 will have big improvements here...

Would you please post (or PM) a link to the Bible you bought on eBay? TIA!

Finally, can you please tell me how you captured the screens from your Nook? Or are these taken from a Nook reader on the PC?

Thanks again!

I agree this is probably the best choice for e-reader. In my mind, there are two major strikes against Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader:

1) No backlight, which makes reading in the dark difficult :tongue_smilie:

2) They are not touchscreens, which makes book navigation much more difficult.

For me, these are some of the reasons why I prefer my Kindle to the iPad. I got a Kindle because I specifically did not want something backlit. Reading for too long on a backlit screen bothers my eyes. I want to be able to read outside without fighting the glare from the sun, or without my e-reader heating up. To be fair, I do have an iPhone as well, so if I need to read in the dark, I can read on my Kindle app. That's a very rare occasion, however.

I don't mind not having a touch screen. In some ways, it would be easier (as you've mentioned, when it comes to going to a location from the table of contents), but I think in general, navigation, as well as highlighting, etc. is easier with the Kindle than on an iPad/iPhone.

The Kindle is also a lot lighter than the iPad (even with a cover), making it easier to hold while reading in bed.

(Not knocking the iPad, because they're loads of fun, great for internet, etc. but it just doesn't work for me as an e-reader.)

Thanks! I prefer KJV, so this might work for me! The sample I have is from a Bible which includes Deuterocanonical literature in addition to the KJV Bible for $0.99. It includes similar indexing except that it does not include the indexing to the verses within the chapters. This is not a major problem, because you can usually flip through pages to get to the desired verse pretty quickly. Still, it looks like you would have to press the down arrow 149 times to read the last chapter of Psalms, just as I would with this Bible. Can you confirm that my understanding is correct?

The Kindle has a 5-way controller, so I don't need to push the down button 149 times. I'd just nudge it down about a dozen times, and then over a few times.

Finally, can you please tell me how you captured the screens from your Nook? Or are these taken from a Nook reader on the PC?

I got the screen captures from my Kindle for PC App (using Microsoft OneNote). The screen looks almost exactly the same on my Kindle (with a smaller font and w/o color).

The Kindle has a 5-way controller, so I don't need to push the down button 149 times. I'd just nudge it down about a dozen times, and then over a few times.
Wow! That is a BIG benefit of Kindle over Nook. Nook only gives 'Up' and 'Down' control, which is not enough for a list of this length. Thanks for this bit on information! (Note to Barnes & Noble: You need to fix this soon!)
I got the screen captures from my Kindle for PC App (using Microsoft OneNote). The screen looks almost exactly the same on my Kindle (with a smaller font and w/o color).
Very cool! I'll have to give it that a try with the Nook! Thanks again!

Borrowing books from the library would be the biggest plus, imo, to getting the Nook. I have a Kindle, and friends have the Sony and the Nook. To me, there is no comparison in quality; the Kindle wins easily. It looks better, feels better in your hands, and the controls are much easier to use. You can get your hands on the Kindle in Target and the Nook in BN; I dont' know about the Sony, but I'm sure Best Buy or somewhere has them on display.

I wouldn't recommend the ipad or anything backlit for hours of reading, particularly if kids will be using it.

I'm not quite sure how you are trying to use bookmarks - - do you just want to be able to get to a certain verse? An easier option might be the "go to" feature, which lets you enter a word and then takes you to the locations in the book that have that word. So if the verses are titled, or you know one distinct word, you can easily get to it without bookmarking at all. I use this all the time for my copy of WTM, when I want to quickly refer to what she has to say on certain topics. I might "go to" words like logic, fifth grade, algebra, etc etc. For bible study, you might "go to" Goliath, dragon, valley, 140, etc etc. If you want to 'name' bookmarks, you're better off adding a note rather than a bookmark.

Batteries: A Nook is $149 and a battery is $30, or 20% of the cost. You shouldn't have to buy one for years, and at that point an equivalent new reader will cost less, and replacing the battery will likely cost more like 40% of a new item. I don't buy any electronics with the idea that I will be using them for the next ten or fifteen years (it would be great, but rarely happens!). If they are selling a lot of Nook batteries, I'd have to wonder why.

PDFs: All 3 have native PDF ability.

Borrowing: this is a great feature, but it's not enough to make me switch. I read on my computer more often than I should, yet I never read library books that way.

Backlit vs reflective: the beauty of the reflective screen is that you can use it when sunlight makes your backlit screens useless. In the car on long trips, out on the front porch, at the park while the kids play. Bedside lamps at home and booklights in the car make it fairly easy to read in the dark as well. There are booklights made to clip on to the devices.

I'll have my Kindle at hand today, so lmk if you would like me to check specific things on it.

Oh, one more feature I love is that the Kindle keeps track of where I stop reading on ALL my devices. So, I can be reading the same Kindle book on my Kindle, my itouch, and my computer, and it will let me know where I left off. I just opened a book on Kindle, and it said something like "You are at page 372, but you have read to page 401 on Kat's itouch. Do you want to go to page 401?"

I don't know if the Nook has a similar feature; maybe a Nook owner can answer.

Oh, one more feature I love is that the Kindle keeps track of where I stop reading on ALL my devices. So, I can be reading the same Kindle book on my Kindle, my itouch, and my computer, and it will let me know where I left off. I just opened a book on Kindle, and it said something like "You are at page 372, but you have read to page 401 on Kat's itouch. Do you want to go to page 401?"

I don't know if the Nook has a similar feature; maybe a Nook owner can answer.

Do you know what is different between the second and third generation kindles? Amazon isn't shipping for several weeks, but I can buy a second generation on ebay. Also, I thought I read that Nook can be upgraded as they make changes without having to buy a new one, unlike Kindle. Is this accurate?

thanks so much!!

Do you know what is different between the second and third generation kindles? Amazon isn't shipping for several weeks, but I can buy a second generation on ebay. Also, I thought I read that Nook can be upgraded as they make changes without having to buy a new one, unlike Kindle. Is this accurate?

thanks so much!!

Okay, here is what Amazon says the changes are with the new Kindle. I'm copying this directly from their website, with my own comments in parentheses.

• 21% Smaller body, same 6" reading area

• 15% lighter (8.5 oz vs 10.3 oz)

• crisper, darker fonts

• double the storage

• faster, quieter page turns

• Built-in Wi-Fi (the 2nd generation only connects through the cell phone network, which they call "Whispernet")

• Enhanced PDF reader-- "Now you can add notes and highlights, use the dictionary look-up, and read password-protected PDFs...You also have the option to have your PDF document converted to the Kindle format so that it reflows." (Amazon just sent out a software update over "Whispernet", which improved it's ability to read PDFs, but I don't think it included all the improvements that I quoted here.)

• Soft touch textured back (the current one is metal on the back)

• New WebKit based browser (I have to be pretty desperate for internet to use the browser on my 2nd generation Kindle)

• Voice guide to read-to-me menus

Amazon does send out some software updates automatically, like B&N does, but I'm not sure how extensive those updates are.

Edited by bonniebeth4

The automatic software updates for my Kindle have been pretty extensive. The first big one was adding native pdf, and the more recent one added:

Collections: Organize your books, audiobooks, and personal documents into one or more collections. Subscriptions such as newspapers, magazines, and blogs cannot currently be added to collections on Kindle.

PDF Pan and Zoom: Zoom into PDFs and pan around to easily view small print and detailed tables or graphics.

Password Protection: Password protect your Kindle when you're not using it.

More Font Sizes & Improved Clarity: Enjoy two new larger font sizes and sharper fonts for an even more comfortable reading experience.

Facebook & Twitter Posts: Share meaningful book passages with friends on Facebook and Twitter directly from your Kindle.

Popular Highlights: See what the Kindle community thinks are the most interesting passages in the books you're reading.

These updates did not work on the Kindle1, but the first big update came in Nov '09, about two years after the Kindle1 debuted. Whether or not updates work on older generation models will depend on how much the device has changed and the type of updates; it's never going to be possible to add all the newest stuff to all of the older models, b/c the hardware and software are both going to be different.

I didn't want a kindle to do the lesser amount of formats that it reads, price and that it had a proprietary format.

My take on my Nook (from my blog)

Pros:

lightweight

6" screen

e-ink display and touch screen navigation make it the best of both worlds.

huge capacity

you can page turn on the left, the right or swiping the touch screen in the middle

battery replaceable by user

chess and suduko, if it matters to you, it doesn't to me

outside mono speaker as well as a stereo headphone jack

mp3 player

dictionary

ability to annotate and bookmark

Android OS

supported formats:

* EPUB

* PDB

* PDF

* PDB (Non DRM)

* PDF

* Graphics: JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP

* Audio: MP3

Cons:

There is only one and it's a doozy but I expect it to change in the next firmware upgrade. There is no ability to organize your books in My Documents other than title, author and most recent. This absolutely blows at the moment because I wanted to put my dd's Ambleside books in a folder never mind my series and stuff. So I only have a few (hundred) on it until they amend that issue. Same issue with the mp3 player but hey, it's an ereader. I loaded up my Gregorian Chants and Howard Shore scores and I am happy as a clam.

I didn't want a kindle to do the lesser amount of formats that it reads, price and that it had a proprietary format.
Note that the new Kindle is $10.00 cheaper, small, lighter and has a better display than the Nook. (The old Kindle had the same display as the current Nook.) I'm fully with you on the issue of formats.

My friend said today that her ds wants a Kindle for xmas. Except she mispronounced it and said an 'e' instead of the 'i'. This made it sound like he wanted a .... "Ken Doll." I am trying to tell her that she NEEDS to rap up a Ken Doll for her son and watch his face and laugh while she plays dumb. "I thought you said a Ken Doll." Hahahahah