Menu

S/O How many Bibles do you have in your house

In the recent thread, How many Bibles do you have in your house, I answered that I have none, and never have had. I can't say that I have ever even read the Bible or parts of it.

I have started reading SWB's The History of the Ancient World, and while it is very enjoyable, there are times when references are made to things that in the Bible, and I really have no idea what they are.

I am beginning to see that even as an atheist, it helps to know your Bible stories, as they are referenced in so often in literature, especially in older books.

How can I go about reading and learning about the Bible with out being preached at? I just want to read it as a piece of literature, not as a holy book, if that makes any sense.

My two suggestions would be:

1. Find a King James version for the poetry of the words or

2. We use NIV for understanding of the words.

You might look into a study bible, the Life Application Study bible has good footnotes. I would use it like you would a study guide for any piece of literature, knowing that you'll probably disagree with some of the study notes, but use it for discussion points. Here's a link from CBD on how some of the different Bible translations fit into either word-for-word or thought-for-thought translation.

I would check thrift stores if you don't want to invest into a new bible.

Just pick it up and start reading it. If you read the Bble by yourself, no one is going to preach at you. You can even check one out at the library. Someone said the other day that to read it cover to cover would take about 90 hours. Granted some parts are more difficult to read - the many laws in the early old Testament, and all the geneology in Chronicles and other places. In some public schools portions are even included in high school literature classes strictly for study of the language and use of language so there may be secular study guides available that I am not aware of.

Easier to read versions are the NIV (New International Version) and the English Contemporary version. If you want to work thru old languages and read it for that, King James is the way to go but I don't recommend it for story familiarity.

I'm assuming you would just read it as literature. I mean, if you don't believe it has an impact on you today, then it would be like me reading about ancient mythology or reading the Bhagavad Gita in college. I never felt preached to because I didn't believe these applied to me.

Oh, and I just thought about a class I took in college, "Classical and Biblical Backgrounds to Literature." It was one of my favorite classes. For the Biblical backgrounds, we read parts of: Genesis, Psalms, John and Revelation. The first two are Old Testament books; the second two are New Testament. A children's Bible -- one with lots of pictures -- would honestly give you an overview of the major Old Testament stories -- like Daniel in the Lion's Den.

Edited by nestof3

Yes, I would say that an educated, literate person needs to know what is in the Bible. It's one of the foundations of Western literature. An experience in college brought this home to me and eventually influenced my decision to homeschool!

Do you ever read Secular Homeschooling Magazine? Issue #10 (the last issue, not the current one) had an excellent article on Biblical education in secular homeschooling. And luckily for us it's online! So: Teaching the Bible for Cultural Literacy, just for you.

I'll have to think about whether I can add anything useful to that.

I would recommend getting a good study Bible in either NIV or NKJV that has notes. And I would also recommend a good Bible backgrounds book that explains some of the customs and culture of the times. Zondervan makes some good ones.

If you decide to read through it, and would like some further explanations on anything, feel free to PM me. I am a Christian, but I won't preach. I love the study of the Bible and it's history...and I remember all too well what it was like to be preached at when I didn't want it. We have a ton of reference books here and I would be happy to help you out. :)

Edited by Apryl H

I agree with the pick-it-up-and-read-it-group. Not all Bibles are created equally. The Eastern Orthodox has 9 books that the Protestant Bibles do not have. The Catholic Bibles have 7 books that the Protestant Bibles do not contain.

I found this guide doing a quick search. It may or may not be your cup of tea.

Keep in mind translations vary in accuracy. The KJV has beautiful poetic language but (IMHO) is not accurately translated. The New American Bible is translated into American English. Being so it is not beautiful literature, but it is accurate. The Douay-Rheims is available to read on-line. Web search Bible translations and find one that speaks to you - it doesn't matter if it is EO, Catholic or Protestant. Just start somewhere.

You can just familiarize yourself with some to the more popular stories:

Creation

Noah

Abraham, Jacob, and Issac

The Exodus

Ruth

Ester

David

Job

Psalms

Proverbs

The nativity story

the parables

The Acts of the Apostles

Revelation

Later add in the others as they catch your eye.

My two suggestions would be:

1. Find a King James version for the poetry of the words or

2. We use NIV for understanding of the words.

You might look into a study bible, the Life Application Study bible has good footnotes. I would use it like you would a study guide for any piece of literature, knowing that you'll probably disagree with some of the study notes, but use it for discussion points. Here's a link from CBD on how some of the different Bible translations fit into either word-for-word or thought-for-thought translation.

I would check thrift stores if you don't want to invest into a new bible.

The Life Application Study bible looks good, but how do I know which edition to get? There is the standard edition, the personal size edition, the limited anniversary edition, the large print edition. It is kinda hard to tell from Amazon what the differences in all these editions are.

For basic familiarity with the major stories, as well as usefulness as a homeschooling resource for your kids, you might like something like the DK Illustrated Children's Bible http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Illustrated-Bible-Selina-Hastings/dp/0756609356/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281362676&sr=8-1

I have The Children's Illustated Bible: classic Old and New Testament stories retold for the young reader with context facts, notes and features by Victoria Parker. http://www.amazon.com/childrens-illustrated-Bible-Testament-features/dp/1843091704/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281362770&sr=1-1

I picked it up as a remainder at Borders or Barnes and Noble a couple years ago. It gives contextual information that really help with a frame of reference for the stories from the time they were written.

Another option might be to check your library for something like Timothy Beal's "Biblical Literacy: the essential Bible stories everyone needs to know" or Stephen Lang's "Everyday Biblical Literacy: the essential guide to Biblical allusions in art, literature and life." I haven't actually read either of these, but they look like a reasonable starting point for your purposes.

For the big picture, basic stories, etc., you may like The Message, which is a modern paraphrase of the Bible. I find it easy to read without being slangy. It's a much quicker read for me than the KJV or the NIV. This would be good to read if you want to catch references and allusions to Bible stories in other works of literature.

If you want to read the Bible itself as literature, I think the best version is the King James Version. The language is beautiful and it's the version that has had the biggest impact on the development of English.

The Life Application Study bible looks good, but how do I know which edition to get? There is the standard edition, the personal size edition, the limited anniversary edition, the large print edition. It is kinda hard to tell from Amazon what the differences in all these editions are.

As with a lot of bibles, I find the sizes hard to determine online. Some people want real leather covers, some prefer hardback, some want the size to fit in your purse. Because of this font size can vary greatly. Some you almost need a magnifying glass to read, some are more acceptable. It's almost better to go and look at the bookstore and decide.

Another great option, which I don't yet own, is the Archaeology Study bible. It places the books in historical context.

The differences are mainly all about size. The content will be the same.

Standard = approx 7x10 inches, 8 point font

Personal = approx 5x8 inches, <8 point font

Large print = approx 7x10 inches, 11 point font

Anniversary = I don't know, but probably just a new color for the cover or something similar not relating to content.

HTH:)

How about a children's Bible? It would have most of the stories that are referenced in literature but would be easier to read.

I was actually going to suggest this myself!

We have this one, http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Bible-365-Stories/dp/0745930689/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281368792&sr=8-1. It is simple enough that my daughter understands the stories, but still conveys all the information. It also has some beautiful illustrations in it.

Thank you every one for the great suggestions. Time to see if there is a Christian book store near me and go have a look around. Won't my dh be surprised when I tell him where I'm going.

I also never realized that there were so many versions of one book. It is enough to make your head spin trying to work out which one you want.

The Life Application Study Bible is very preachy. If you just want to read the Bible to understand Biblical allusions, etc., it won't be what you want.

I'd recommend checking your local library and seeing what Bibles they have before you buy one. Bibles are somewhat pricey, especially study Bibles. You can easily buy a Bible with no notes and just read it, but it may end up being confusing. If you do want to buy a study Bible I'd suggest looking online and reading reviews. Study Bibles have different purposes. You'll probably want a Bible which has notes devoted to understanding all the weird things in there and not so much ones devoted to application. The Archaeological Study Bible may be helpful. The NLT Study Bible is one I've used and enjoy. The NAB Catholic Study Bible has notes which reflect more recent, less traditional Biblical scholarship which is often rejected by conservative Christians.