Menu

The Evils of Catan

Thanks to the folks on here who recommended "Settlers of Catan" as being a fun board game, I have played at least 20 games in the last 10 days with DS14 and DD9. It's been rainy lately and as a result, we are totally addicted.

Is there a recovery group like AA out there that can get me unhooked?

Christy, I think she's be a bit too young for it. Maybe in a year or two. But for older kids or adults - very easy to learn, and it can be fast once you get the hang of it.

And OP, if you like that and want some variety - trust me, you WANT to check out Ticket to Ride (preferably the Europe version). Everyone I know who loves Settler's also loves TTR, and it gives some variety. DH and I play either Settlers or TTR a few nights a week at minimum.

You don't have to be a reader to play as long as you have one reader at the table. I would say that if they can master playing Uno, they can play Catan. It's pretty easy to play and there aren't many rules to remember.

You don't need the expansion packs to start, but I can see that these will be showing up on SOMEONE'S Christmas Wish list........

Is there a recovery group like AA out there that can get me unhooked?
Yup, and we all play Small World and Ticket to Ride.

Another addict here too!

Our family purchased Catan based on recommendations from this board and we LOVE it!!!!

Maybe we should start our our Recovery Group.

Hello, my name is Karen and I have played 100 games of Catan this week....:lol: (not really!!!)

Ohdear, what have you all DONE TO ME?! I, like an idiot, googled and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Settlers_of_Catan_games

I asked dh what he thought. It may be something we can do on non-kayaking days.

Is the first game free and after that we gotta' pay? Is that how this type of thing usually works? Is this game a gateway to harder games?

:lol:

I am impressed you played at all. My son has this game, and while my husband and all of the boys have played, I just have such a hard time getting into long games.

I won't tell them that there are cool moms out there. ;)

We Love it here as well. Haven't played all summer tho!

Because the games can run long, we have made a few short cuts when necessary. We don't put the robber into play until everyone has 3 points, we use the robber as a wild card and take what we need from the bank, we had out resources for both settlements at the beginning, etc.

Just google Catan alternative play strategies or something like that and see what you can come up with.

It really is fun..soo much more fun than Monopoly!!!!!!!!

Christy, I think she's be a bit too young for it. Maybe in a year or two. But for older kids or adults - very easy to learn, and it can be fast once you get the hang of it.

And OP, if you like that and want some variety - trust me, you WANT to check out Ticket to Ride (preferably the Europe version). Everyone I know who loves Settler's also loves TTR, and it gives some variety. DH and I play either Settlers or TTR a few nights a week at minimum.

This was going to be my response exactly! The "cure" to Settlers is definitely Ticket to Ride!! Love it!! (Have the European version on my birthday wish list). I think I feel a game nigh coming on... despite the 876 boxes that need unpacking!

Not sure about Settles of Catan...but we play Catan dice and it's a fun, quick game if I really don't have time for a game but ds asks nicely. :-)

We love Dominion! It's my favorite of all our games.

We also enjoy Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Agricola, To Court the King, Witch's Brew, and Dungeons and Dragons.

I just put Ticket to Ride in my cart and am thrilled to find another game. I love variety!

I just put Ticket to Ride in my cart and am thrilled to find another game. I love variety!
Keep the USA 1910 expansion in mind. It gives you added options for game play and larger sized card decks. Edited by nmoira
typo