Menu

How do you store non-refrigerated fruit at your home?

I line a metal cookie sheet with a kitchen towel (or newspaper) and store my garden tomatoes upside down in a row (not touching). They last longer this way and if one goes bad, the rest don't. I can move the cookie sheet where ever I need to.

Bananas don't last very long around here so it isn't really an issue.

I keep most fruit in the refrigerator but pull out 8 or so at a time to ripen. Those get put into a bowl and placed on the island or kitchen table.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
On the counter in the colander.

Me too. I have four enameled colanders in colors that coordinate with my kitchen decor. They hold the fruit, provide air flow so the stuff on bottom doesn't rot very quickly and they look pretty too.

I have a smaller pretty bowl on the counter, and a larger one in the middle of the table. In one of my sinks is a large colander full of garden tomatoes. I don't have a ton of counter space, so the table is a good place, plus it looks so pretty, even empty (pretty painting of a rooster), which it often is. I bought two muskogee melons from the farmer's market yesterday and they have dissapeared. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

We have a very small table (usually covered in school stuff) and no counter space so we store our fruit in a basket that sits on top of our toaster oven. Which works fine until someone forgets to move it when they use the toaster oven and all the fruit gets scorched and mushy. Tomatos are stored on top of the fridge but we only get a couple at a time and use them right away.

Mine are all over my counter. We grow oranges, peaches, apples, apricots and raspberries. The peaches are overflowing. Every day I get up and think, "What will I make with the peaches today?" We don't like them cooked, too slimy. We each A LOT fresh. How do you serve canned peaches?

I line a metal cookie sheet with a kitchen towel (or newspaper) and store my garden tomatoes upside down in a row (not touching). They last longer this way and if one goes bad, the rest don't. I can move the cookie sheet where ever I need to.

Oooh! Making a quick note of that.

Anyway, right now my stuff is on the counter, which I hate because I need space!

As soon as I am able, I am going to get one of those pine shelving units (or metal) and put my fruits there. You've seen those shelves at Ikea and in the Williams Sonoma catalog. I just need a narrow, tallish one. That should suit me.