Menu

What Matters Most. Please read.

Hi, I'm a homeschooling mom of four. Last week I was planning for the coming school year and was stopped in my tracks by a quote I read online. It's about what matters most. I wrote a short piece about it for my homeschool website and I hope it's okay to post the link here: http://bit.ly/9CAea7

Trying to do better,

Beth in MD

Homeschooling mom of four

Guest ME-Mommy
Hi, I'm a homeschooling mom of four. Last week I was planning for the coming school year and was stopped in my tracks by a quote I read online. It's about what matters most. I wrote a short piece about it for my homeschool website and I hope it's okay to post the link here: http://bit.ly/9CAea7

Trying to do better,

Beth in MD

Homeschooling mom of four

:001_smile:

Thanks for sharing!!

:crying:

Thank you for posting. I am starting my 6th year and I am still figuring it out. God has really convicted me this year as I prepare to pay more attention to them personally and not worry so much about every teeny tiny detail of every lesson or project. I have just 2 more years with my oldest dd and 3 with my oldest ds. I am starting to realize how much I will miss them.

Since my oldest has passed away, I have thought about this a lot. My very favorite homeschool thing over the passed 12 years was sitting and reading Harry Potter with him. When I took him out of school, he was a very poor reader in the 5th grade. I would read 2 pages and he would read 1 page. He had been reading an awful text book for reading in school. He thought all reading was that boring. The days we spent on the love seat reading Harry Potter were the best. I take comfort in that he knew he was loved and I knew that he loved me back.

Thank you for the reminder. I need this going into a very busy fall season ... moving, schooling, new baby.

When my 2 oldest kids were just toddlers, I would often lose my temper getting ready to go to Bible study with them ... you know, the putting on of shoes, losing items, making messes and changing clothes, buckling carseats, running late. Finally, I realized I'd rather be late for Bible study than angry at my kids. It changed my perspective.

Since my oldest has passed away, I have thought about this a lot. My very favorite homeschool thing over the passed 12 years was sitting and reading Harry Potter with him. When I took him out of school, he was a very poor reader in the 5th grade. I would read 2 pages and he would read 1 page. He had been reading an awful text book for reading in school. He thought all reading was that boring. The days we spent on the love seat reading Harry Potter were the best. I take comfort in that he knew he was loved and I knew that he loved me back.

:grouphug: :sad:

Big, big hugs to you, Kari. :grouphug: Thank you for sharing!

And Beth, thank you as well! It's a perfectly timed reminder. We love the movie Up, and the quote that gets me every time is when the child Russell, talking about his dad, says something like, "It may sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember most."

I think it's a combination of this post and the quote posted that has gotten me to the point that I just drop what I'm doing a lot of the time to let my kids be near me. Do I like it when my kids want to help me cook dinner? Not usually. They get in the way and slow me down while I'm trying to do something that I don't particularly care to do in the first place. Would I rather read my book when my DD crawls into my lap and asks me to read her a book instead? Yes. But I set aside my book and spend time with her anyway because I know that these moments could be fleeting.

There are no guarantees in this life and these moments I spend with my kids could be cut short. I think about that every time my kids ask for my attention when I would rather be doing something else.

Kari, thanks for sharing your story. It was really heartbreaking and an even stronger reminder of what matters most.

Shanna, yes, we are neighbors! I live downtown in Frederick. Welcome to homeschooling! If I can help you with anything please let me know.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Beth in MD

Yes Kari, I can really relate to that and can understand why those memories stand out for you. My favourite homeschooling - well, parenting- moments have been snuggling and reading together. And Harry Potter has been a big part of our lives, as has Lord of the Rings.

:grouphug:

My ds14 constantly comes and wants attention, and it disturbs dd16 a lot. They are in separate rooms for a reason. But he just came into the room AGAIN and this time asked for a hug. My immediate instinct was...no, go and do your schoolwork. I was literally writing this post. I caught myself and turned around and let him crawl into my lap...he is now bigger than me but somehow he fits, and we had a cuddle and a sweet moment.

A few months ago he wouldnt let me cuddle him. So...taking the time to cuddle him when he is open to it....feels like a priority. Especially considering he was disturbing my writing THIS post.

It is the little things. Take time today to hug your kids. Look them in the eyes as you talk. Brew a cup of tea and play a game with them.

This hits hard today as I prepare to put my dad in hospice care and look at the pictures of a friend of mine's child who is fighting for his life after a bad car wreck. He is 17 and was her last to graduate from her homeschool just this past May.

It also was brought home last night at our first mother/daughter group meeting of the year. In answer to how can you moms be sure to connect with your daughters, my 17 year old senior said --" I want to share how my mom does it. We meet almost everyday for tea to go over my school lessons and end up just talking. "

I did not know it meant so much to her.

Linda

IIn answer to how can you moms be sure to connect with your daughters, my 17 year old senior said --" I want to share how my mom does it. We meet almost everyday for tea to go over my school lessons and end up just talking. "

I did not know it meant so much to her.

Linda

I love this. So sweet.