Menu

Help me out here...wwyd

Hedgehogs4

we have a family that just moved in across the street. i should add that they are a VERY NICE family with two kids, a boy 12 (my ds is 9) and a girl 9. i have a dd 5. they arrived last week and have spent quite a few late afternoons with my kids, jumping on the trampoline and playing in the back yard. very nice, polite kids, pleasant to have around.

today my kids went to their house to play. up marches the 12 yo boy with a STACK of books for my ds 9 and said, "i loved these when i was in 4th grade. maybe m. will too." 27 books of twaddle. i took them graciously and said thank you very much, that is so thoughtful of you, etc. but when i got them home i looked at them and BLECH. published by scholastic, they are a series called "animorphs" about kids who get powers from aliens to change into animals and save the world... ? i think? the front cover illustrations are even lousy. the words inside are brainless and sure, fun in a super-dumb way, but really? my boy likes king arthur, robin hood, julius Caesar, grimm's fairy tales, alice in wonderland, lamplighter books, greek mythology...he uses words like annihilate and exoskeleton.

do i let him read this c***? do i tell him that i appreciate the boy's generosity but it's just not right for him? i don't want him to feel that i am censoring everything in his life. I also don't want to offend the boy should he ask, "did m like the books?"

obviously there are bigger problems in life than nice neighbors and dumb books. i'm just wondering what the hive would do in this situation and maybe a light bulb will go on somewhere for me.

As long as there is nothing you find morally offensive (other than possibly turning the brain to goo), I would let him read them if he wants to, or not read them if he doesn't want to.

My son is 8 and reads his fair share of what I consider garbage, chosen by him. He also reads a lot of great books, so I figure it evens out. Sometimes he seems to be on an easy read streak, and then he will read a few really tough meaty books in a row. I let him choose as long as he is getting a mix overall, and nothing contains things I really consider offensive.

Maybe his mom made him go through his books and the topic will never come up. If it were me I wouldn't give them to my son. If the neighbor dwere to ask I'd just say. "Oh, he hasn't gotten around to them yet. We've been really busy lately." But, if my son was asking to read them, I'd let him....if there is nothing inappropriate of course.

Does he know you've been given the books? If not, I'd get rid of them.

If he does know, I'd give him a few and tell him I'm keeping the rest as treats to be doled out occasionally. Then they'd go downstairs in the pantry room until they were forgotten about, and they'd make their way to the Goodwill store...hypothetically, of course :D (Say goodbye, Junie B. Jones!)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
As long as there is nothing you find morally offensive (other than possibly turning the brain to goo), I would let him read them if he wants to, or not read them if he doesn't want to.

:iagree:

It was a generous gesture and I would leave it at that. I wouldn't say anything but thank you. If your ds's preferences run toward the classics and he is a voracious reader, he already has a literary radar that will go off when he starts reading the books. Let the radar do its job. Also, I will say that my tastes run toward Jane Austen and other classics but I did love an occasional Archie comic. It's not going to turn my brain to mush. A little twaddle into each life will fall. :D

It was a generous gesture and I would leave it at that. I wouldn't say anything but thank you. If your ds's preferences run toward the classics and he is a voracious reader, he already has a literary radar that will go off when he starts reading the books. Let the radar do its job. Also, I will say that my tastes run toward Jane Austen and other classics but I do love an occasional Archie comic. It's not going to turn my brain to mush. A little twaddle into each life will fall. :D

You know, I agree with you generally. However, when Junie B and those blasted Rainbow Fairies appeared in our lives as hand-me-downs (that I welcomed into our home initially), the proportion of junk lit to quality lit that my DD7 (almost 8) read began to swing rapidly in the wrong direction. The other day we were in B&N and I told her she could buy one book. We were there for an hour and she left with nothing because she could not find ONE SINGLE BOOK that she was willing to buy and try out that was not a Rainbow Fairy, A to Z Mysteries, or Magic Treehouse book. And this is a kid who can read at a 6th-7th grade level--probably higher, actually. So in spite of my previous posts to the contrary, I now lean more toward the side of stronger censorship than I once did. Gah! (Sorry, can you tell it's a recent sore spot with me? We just had a talk about it last night, even! :()

Edited by melissel

Personally, I would pick my battles on this one. My ds13 actually has been reading Animorphs for years and still enjoys them. He is aiming to collect all 54! and finds it a challenge to scope out the ones he's missing at Goodwill.

Of course, he also enjoys the classics, but sometimes he wants something easy, fun and relaxing to read, as opposed to challenging. Don't we all?

If your son truly prefers to read more difficult classics with a deeper plot, then I don't think reading a few Animorphs will turn him off to them. In fact, he may decide the books are too easy and/or shallow for his tastes, and drop them on his own.

I'm sure this is a decision he would rather make on his own, though, than for mom to make it for him. Forbidden fruit...

Just my $0.02.

I require my children to read quality books for school. What they read in their free time is their choice (with regards to quality anyway). I know they will not stop reading quality literature because it is required. I think that everyone needs to veg sometimes and we choose different ways of doing that.

I require my children to read quality books for school. What they read in their free time is their choice (with regards to quality anyway). I know they will not stop reading quality literature because it is required. I think that everyone needs to veg sometimes and we choose different ways of doing that.

My kids are great twaddle lovers and I myself was a Nancy Drew addict.

My son is 8 and reads his fair share of what I consider garbage, chosen by him. He also reads a lot of great books, so I figure it evens out. Sometimes he seems to be on an easy read streak, and then he will read a few really tough meaty books in a row. I let him choose as long as he is getting a mix overall, and nothing contains things I really consider offensive.

I would leave them in the pile with his other books and see what happens. I'd tell him this was book candy that doesn't really feed us, but it's sometimes entertaining. As some of the other posters posted, sometimes even adults want something easy and fun! He might want to read a few and then he may not. I doubt it will come between the real literature that he has come to enjoy.

;)

I would leave them in the pile with his other books and see what happens. I'd tell him this was book candy that doesn't really feed us, but it's sometimes entertaining. As some of the other posters posted, sometimes even adults want something easy and fun! He might want to read a few and then he may not. I doubt it will come between the real literature that he has come to enjoy.

;)

My 7th grader still thumbs through his old, worn out Goosebumps every now and then, just for the heck of it. A little bit of garbage hasn't rotted his brain yet, and he's owned them for 5 or 6 years.

I actually loved the Animorphs series. I was excited to get my kids reading them too because of the great conversations we could have about them.

The idea behind the series is that parasitic aliens (similar to the Goa'uld from Stargate) have invaded. The people still look exactly like they did before, but they are controlled by the aliens like puppets. They have all the memories of their hosts, so they blend in perfectly.

A group of kids sees an alien ship crash when they go through a construction zone that is supposed to be off-limits. He is from another species that is trying to fight the aliens. He gives them the power to morph. All they have to do is touch any animal and then they can turn into that animal (that specific animal) at any time. The only limit is they cannot morph for more than two hours or they will trapped in that form.

There are a lot of ethical dilemmas these kids work through. They figure out that the brother of one of the kids in the group has been taken over already. They don't want to actually hurt any of the human hosts because they aren't the ones in control (although some are actually collaborators).

I thought it was a great series even though it sounded like candy at first.

It a great discussion starter.

we have a family that just moved in across the street. i should add that they are a VERY NICE family with two kids, a boy 12 (my ds is 9) and a girl 9. i have a dd 5. they arrived last week and have spent quite a few late afternoons with my kids, jumping on the trampoline and playing in the back yard. very nice, polite kids, pleasant to have around.

today my kids went to their house to play. up marches the 12 yo boy with a STACK of books for my ds 9 and said, "i loved these when i was in 4th grade. maybe m. will too." 27 books of twaddle. i took them graciously and said thank you very much, that is so thoughtful of you, etc. but when i got them home i looked at them and BLECH. published by scholastic, they are a series called "animorphs" about kids who get powers from aliens to change into animals and save the world... ? i think? the front cover illustrations are even lousy. the words inside are brainless and sure, fun in a super-dumb way, but really? my boy likes king arthur, robin hood, julius Caesar, grimm's fairy tales, alice in wonderland, lamplighter books, greek mythology...he uses words like annihilate and exoskeleton.

do i let him read this c***? do i tell him that i appreciate the boy's generosity but it's just not right for him? i don't want him to feel that i am censoring everything in his life. I also don't want to offend the boy should he ask, "did m like the books?"

obviously there are bigger problems in life than nice neighbors and dumb books. i'm just wondering what the hive would do in this situation and maybe a light bulb will go on somewhere for me.

If my son wanted to read them, I would let him. But my 9 year old is currently reading Lord of the Rings (he's in the 3rd book), Guerber's The Myths of Greece and Rome, The Red Pyramid, and he's gone through several Magic Tree House books lately (the poor kid takes after me and can't read one book at a time).

I'd be thrilled to have such awesome neighbors and such a nice boy that offered up his favorite books, I'd look at it as a wonderful gift.

Imagine the sacrafice of that boy ! I covet my books ! My books are so important to me that when I loan one out, I am giving a part of myself to you. I would look at it as a wonderful gift and I'd look past the twaddle to what the book represented from the boy's heart as a gift.

And yes, I would let my son read them if he wanted ! In fact, I would encourage him to at least read a few so he could talk to the boy about them. Books open doors to friendships, this could be a very important lesson for your son to learn. Much more important then what is in the book, but what the book represents !

I would show them to my child, ask "Are you interested in these?" and if he was, I'd hand them over and let him read them.

I'm a fan of letting kids read what they want to read on their own independent reading time (within reasonable limits, of course, I wouldn't let my kids read anything entirely inappropriate for their age... but I wouldn't tell them they couldn't read something they wanted to read because I thought they could be reading something "better"- I'd rather take the attitude that if they enjoy reading in general and can read what they want to, they'll eventually get to the "better." I did!)

If my kid wasn't interested in them, I'd tell the 12 y/o "I showed these to so and so and he said they aren't to his tastes, would you like them back, or would you like me to donate them to the thrift store or to somebody else?"

ETA: And also, everything that Momma2Many66 said above :D

I'd be thrilled to have such awesome neighbors and such a nice boy that offered up his favorite books, I'd look at it as a wonderful gift.

Imagine the sacrafice of that boy ! I covet my books ! My books are so important to me that when I loan one out, I am giving a part of myself to you. I would look at it as a wonderful gift and I'd look past the twaddle to what the book represented from the boy's heart as a gift.

And yes, I would let my son read them if he wanted ! In fact, I would encourage him to at least read a few so he could talk to the boy about them. Books open doors to friendships, this could be a very important lesson for your son to learn. Much more important then what is in the book, but what the book represents !

good point. i'll consider this.

:iagree: I definitely do not agree with hiding them or keeping them from your son. If you don't want him reading them, tell the neighbor boy you appreciate his generosity, but your son likes to read xyz. The boy was trying to be nice, it would be hurtful, potentially, for him to learn from your son that he was never even given the intended gift.

When I was a kid, my mother didn't want me to read the books I liked. We had a lot of fights about it, and it always left me feeling that she was overly controlling and didn't care about who I was or what I saw in those books. It would have been nice if she'd actually bothered to take an interest in the kind of books I preferred; she might even have discovered that some of it had literary merit.

I think he should be allowed to read them in his free time if he wants to.

Honestly, they were a gift from this child to your child. I think I'd honour the child's generousity and your child's judgement by not getting in the way on this.

Besides, even "twaddle" (oh how I hate that term) can inspire kids in very unexpected ways. Leave it be and see what happens.

:iagree:My son loves the Animorph books. I suppose I should be embarrassed about this...but I'm not. ;)

:iagree:My son loves the Animorph books. I suppose I should be embarrassed about this...but I'm not. ;)

My daughter is addicted to the Cat Warrior books. They're the literary equivilent of the Spice Girls - put together by a publishing house to appeal to a certain audience.

So what?

She'll get her great literature somewhere else. For now the CW books inspire her to write, draw, play, etc.

Sometimes books have value beyond their literary merit.

:iagree: Sometimes, my brain needs a rest after a difficult read. I like my trashy romance novels, and even SWB reads chick lit (check her blog!).

My ds was in ps during that age and happily read Captain Underpants. It didn't do him a bit of harm. He grew up some, we started homeschooling, he grew up some more, he went to college, and he is happily carrying an A average, reading Homer and Voltaire and wears his underpants on the inside :) .

I give my kids books that I want them to read during school. Outside of school, I let them read widely and whatever interests them that (that isn't morally offensive) outside of school. I think it really helps to build kids that love to read.

Accept the gift graciously, let your ds choose his leisure reading himself.

I have followed this discussion with interest, because the underlying concept--to let children read "twaddle" or not?--is something I struggle with. I didn't even know what twaddle was until last year when we started homeschooling and I learned about this term! Personally, I'm torn on the issue. If my neighbor had given me handful of, say, Hardy Boys for my sons to read, I probably wouldn't have anything against it. Is it really much different quality-wise than the Boxcar Children series? But Junie B. Jones, which my eldest started reading in kindergarten because his teacher introduced the series to him, is something he still asks for years later, and I just can't get around my very strong dislike for Junie B.-the-character. I guess generally speaking, we each will have our own convictions about which books will be appropriate for our kids and what we will allow them to read. I think it's a pretty individual decision; what one family thinks is appropriate for their children will differ from another family's. It's fine to disagree so long as we show one another grace and mutual respect for our own particular convictions. So, to the OP, I'd read a few of the Animorph books and see what your gut instinct tells you about them. I agree with many of the earlier posters who say that not every book a child reads has to be a classic. And if there is nothing overly offensive to you about the books, and you find interesting redeeming points in the characters or teaching points or some kind or another, then why not let your kids try them? Now you've got me curious about the series because I'm always trying to find things for my 8 year old to read! (He is actually into the American Girls series right now, isn't that funny? I guess it's because he likes historical fiction but there is not much out there in the genre for boys. Oh well, that's better in my mind than reading Junie B. Jones!)

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I would encourage him to at least read a few so he could talk to the boy about them. Books open doors to friendships, this could be a very important lesson for your son to learn. Much more important then what is in the book, but what the book represents !

This is a truly great point! Now I'm thinking that the OP's ds could have a positive influence on the kinds of books that his new friend reads.

It's such a subjective matter as well. I dismissed Harry Potter as trendy twaddle. It was bestselling glitzy fantasy. Then I gave it another chance and realized how wrong I was.

I picked Swiss Family Robinson thinking it was going to be a great, thrilling piece of classic lit. We dropped it after slogging through page after page for quite a few chapters before I decided I didn't need yet another tale of a preachy father-knows-best and his darling family. Blech. Indulgent, self-righteous twaddle. Yet I sort of think some people here would disagree with me on that. :D

Now you've got me curious about the series because I'm always trying to find things for my 8 year old to read! (He is actually into the American Girls series right now, isn't that funny? I guess it's because he likes historical fiction but there is not much out there in the genre for boys. Oh well, that's better in my mind than reading Junie B. Jones!)

Have you tried the My Name is America series? It is a historical diary series like the Dear America series but with male protagonists. I haven't read them, but my dd likes the Dear America along with the Royal Diaries.

:iagree: I think this comes closest to my thoughts on the topic; though I would love to remain twaddle-free, a bit here and there isn't going to break the bank, and the gesture of friendship is the important thing. I wonder if your new friend would be interested in some of the books that your ds enjoys? Maybe if you have extra copies or find extra copies at a thrift store, you could give your new neighbor some twaddle-free books to try!

hlee, your son might like the Roman Mysteries series or the Time Warp Trio if he likes historical fiction. They're fun books and not based on girls.

I have been into this issue recently too, as my dd10 has discovered The Babysitter's Club. :glare: I have never read any of them and wouldn't have let her, but she is so compliant on so many things, doesn't watch trashy TV or over use video games, I figure it's her way of resting and relaxing. She reads plenty of the good stuff for school and even of her own volition. But she does tend toward more modern books, as much as I would love her to like Elsie Disnmore or Betsy-Tacy or the Bobbsey Twins, she doesn't. I am saving Anne of Green Gables for later this year in the hopes that my timing will be good and she will love them!;)

I agree with the PPs who have said that it was a very generous gift, and your son should be able to try one out to see if he likes them. So long as there is nothing that is offensive to your values, I don't think it can hurt. You are not of the attitude I have heard from a few of my friends "at least they are reading, who cares what it is". Of course you care! But a little book candy can't hurt every now and then and you might find he doesn't even like them.

Maybe read one together and honestly talk about the book, it's twaddle, subject matter, theme... You may find that he's just as disinterested as you might hope. Than just tell the mom how thoughtful and impressed you were with her son's gesture, but he wasn't all that interested. Or just pass them along.

In our household, we try to follow the 85% rule.

If dd3 eats healthy 85% of the time, if we have a "junk-food day" (due to scheduling or normal 3yo preferences), then I try to not sweat it.

If dd3 watches limited TV 85% of the time, but once in a while has a Scooby-Doo marathon with her dad, it's not a big deal....even if part of me is cringing inside.

If dd is usually up by 8am, but once in a while sleeps in until 10:30, it's okay.

If dd3 sometimes wants to wear her jammies all day, she probably isn't the only 3yo at the park garbed in that way.

Could the 85% rule apply in this situation?

ETA: Do we know what the classics of tomorrow will be? How many current classics were dismissed or censored by parents/teachers/adults at the time of their publication?

Edited by duckens

That is a lovely gesture and that type of behavior should be encouraged! Of course we love Junie B. Jones and Magic Treehouse around here, so take it for what it's worth.

Hrrm, I try to give my kids a balance. I don't think it hurts to have "twaddle" and quality literature and non fiction all mixed in. I think its good for the imagination.

Right now my 7 year old has Homers Iliad and Odyssey sitting next to George's Secret Key to the Universe (Stephen Hawking) as well as of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He has read Captain Underpants and lots of fact books and science books.

We let them read at lots of different reading levels too.

It's such a subjective matter as well. I dismissed Harry Potter as trendy twaddle. It was bestselling glitzy fantasy. Then I gave it another chance and realized how wrong I was.

I picked Swiss Family Robinson thinking it was going to be a great, thrilling piece of classic lit. We dropped it after slogging through page after page for quite a few chapters before I decided I didn't need yet another tale of a preachy father-knows-best and his darling family. Blech. Indulgent, self-righteous twaddle. Yet I sort of think some people here would disagree with me on that. :D

:iagree::iagree:

Thanks so much for all of your input!!!

Here's the conclusion I have come to. my ds saw the boy hand me the pile of books, so he knows that they were given. I have not said A WORD about them one way or the other, because i didn't know what i would do just yet. i am going to read the first book or two to make sure there is nothing offensive (which I doubt there really is) and then, if he picks them up in his FREE TIME that is up to him (but i don't think i will let them be his required 30 minutes of daily reading). right now he is totally obsessed with his kit book on electricity and they haven't even entered the radar screen yet, so i have some time to skim through the first couple of books. He has a very intense, sometimes obsessive attention span, so if he starts reading one, he'll probably read all of them back to back. right now he is obsessed with wiring his sister's doll house with lights, doorbell and an alarm system. (and i was worried about science curriculum!) this obsessive nature is part of my concern...how much time to i want him to spend on this stuff?

i really do appreciate that we have nice neighbors moving in. i don't want to ruin that in any way. i will be sure to handle the situation graciously with both the boy and my son. thanks again for your input.

We dropped Swiss Family Robinson, also. We were bothered a little by the preachy father, but my daughter was more upset by the "Look! A strange new animal! Let's shoot it!" attitude. (Since I started reading aloud to my children I have discovered this attitude in a lot of old books.)

As for twaddle, I am also torn by this. My daughter is reading Little Women, Heidi, The Wonder Book, and From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler for school. (I like to give her a bit of variety, so I have her read from different books on different days.) For fun, she reads Bruce Coville's unicorn series, some sort of magical horse series (Sarabella?), American Girl books and chapter books, lots of adult non-fiction about animals, and sometimes even drops back to Pony Pals and Animal Ark. As long as the higher quality books don't drop out of her free time reading altogether I let her include the "fluffy" books too.

My youngest, however, chooses Superman comics, Captain Underpants, Space Brat, and Hank the Cowdog. While he likes quality read alouds, I'm having trouble moving him into reading full length chapter books (125+ pages, fewer pictures), even for school. He did just start 3rd grade, so I may just be rushing him because the other 3 were reading longer books at this stage. I have a hard time knowing whether to insist he read higher quality books, or allow him to read longer twaddle. For the moment I am compromising with higher quality picture books/short chapter books.