Menu

Facebook and Phone numbers.

I saw this today and thought I would pass it on here in case any FB users hadn't seen it . This is going to be the proverbial straw for me. I must see about a blog, I can't keep up with FB's endless changes and privacy issues. :glare: HTH someoone.

"YOUR PHONE NUMBER IS NOW ON FACEBOOK!! NO JOKE... Go to the top right of yourscreen,

click Account then Edit Friends. Go to the left side of yourscreen

and click Phonebook. Everyone's phone#'s are now being published.Please

repost to let your friends know this is happening so ...they can remove

... their phone #'s by changing their privacy settings.......

( Privacy Settings-Phone-Customize-Only Me )."

I saw this today and thought I would pass it on here in case any FB users hadn't seen it . This is going to be the proverbial straw for me. I must see about a blog, I can't keep up with FB's endless changes and privacy issues. :glare: HTH someoone.

"YOUR PHONE NUMBER IS NOW ON FACEBOOK!! NO JOKE... Go to the top right of yourscreen,

click Account then Edit Friends. Go to the left side of yourscreen

and click Phonebook. Everyone's phone#'s are now being published.Please

repost to let your friends know this is happening so ...they can remove

... their phone #'s by changing their privacy settings.......

( Privacy Settings-Phone-Customize-Only Me )."

Well, it is only there if you ever put your phone number into your info...I never did. But I agree the endless changes to privacy are exhausting.

I did some research thinking it must be a hoax (forgive me!), but you're right. My sister's cell phone number was there in the list (it was the one that I saw that I could check).

At the same time, I went to check my settings, and they were pre-set to "ONLY ME."

ETA - I checked and my sis does have her cell phone listed on her Info. page. So I guess it's not so shocking after all. The users voluntarily put their phone numbers out there -- FB just made an app. where you can get them in one place. I wish they'd do it with email addresses! :)

Edited by milovaný

Friends #s are listed, but mine's not. Checked my profile, & I never entered a #. Because I really don't want anyone calling me. Ever. But esp not surprises, lol!

So I think people should just remove their #s from FB, & maybe it would be a non-issue? If it's in your profile, you're really already sharing it, kwim?

Friends #s are listed, but mine's not. Checked my profile, & I never entered a #. Because I really don't want anyone calling me. Ever. But esp not surprises, lol!

So I think people should just remove their #s from FB, & maybe it would be a non-issue? If it's in your profile, you're really already sharing it, kwim?

:iagree:

Of my 94 friends, there are about a dozen phone numbers listed in my FB phone book - all numbers that show up right on those friends' Info page. They put it there, it wasn't "stolen" or anything.

You can only see the phone numbers of the people who have authorized you to see their phone numbers. When people put their info into facebook, they can put in their numbers and set the privacy for whom they want to see it (everyone, friends, friends of friends, only certain people, only certain friend lists, etc). Facebook has just made a way for you to see those numbers that you are already authorized to see.

You can only see the phone numbers of the people who have authorized you to see their phone numbers. When people put their info into facebook, they can put in their numbers and set the privacy for whom they want to see it (everyone, friends, friends of friends, only certain people, only certain friend lists, etc). Facebook has just made a way for you to see those numbers that you are already authorized to see.

:iagree: (I know other people said it, but this is a more full explanation)

:iagree:What is it with so many people wanting Facebook to be a bad thing?

:iagree:What is it with so many people wanting Facebook to be a bad thing?

I don't think it is a bad thing....but it is frustrating that FB keeps making changes to it....I wish they would leave it a lone...

It is true though that they aren't publishing info you have loaded into your info....I just put very little on there.

:iagree:Good clear answer! Of my 200+ friends, I can see the phone numbers of 29 people, some of which have access to my phone number as well. I wouldn't give them access to it if I didn't want them to know it.

I don't think it is a bad thing....but it is frustrating that FB keeps making changes to it....I wish they would leave it a lone...

It is true though that they aren't publishing info you have loaded into your info....I just put very little on there.

It's always been that way. They haven't changed anything recently. I went to check mine it was set to friends just as it has always been. And next month a similar security message will hit the status updates. ;)

:iagree:

Of my 94 friends, there are about a dozen phone numbers listed in my FB phone book - all numbers that show up right on those friends' Info page. They put it there, it wasn't "stolen" or anything.

Exactly. And it's not like they are publishing it to all of facebook, it's published to their friends, who presumably have easy access to their profile. I think it's a nice little convenient service FB has added. I don't see a security issue at all.

A couple of weeks ago I was traveling through a city we used to live in. I posted the name of the city as my FB status. While I pumped gas, a FB friend, whom I hadn't seen IRL in 3 years, posted that I should call her and come over and visit. She didn't post her phone number...but, Voila, it showed up right there on my friend list on FB mobile. I ended up at her house where we had a lovely 2 hour visit!

I think it's a nice feature. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

A couple of weeks ago I was traveling through a city we used to live in. I posted the name of the city as my FB status. While I pumped gas, a FB friend, whom I hadn't seen IRL in 3 years, posted that I should call her and come over and visit. She didn't post her phone number...but, Voila, it showed up right there on my friend list on FB mobile. I ended up at her house where we had a lovely 2 hour visit!

I think it's a nice feature. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

That is so cool! I really do mostly like FB.

Exactly. And it's not like they are publishing it to all of facebook, it's published to their friends, who presumably have easy access to their profile. I think it's a nice little convenient service FB has added. I don't see a security issue at all.

:iagree: I was excited when I saw all those phone numbers in one place! I don't like talking on the phone, so it's not like I'm going to start calling all my friends just bc FB gave me a convenient place to look up their numbers. :D But it's nice to know it's there if I need it.