Menu

Tell me not to even look at the Homeschool Lounge

From the about page:

"The Homeschool Lounge is the web's premier location for Homeschool Moms to connect for support, encouragement, fellowship and fun. The Homeschool Lounge (THL) is the fastest growing Homeschool community on the net today, showing great promise and a firm foundation for longevity. THL is a FREE network with a menagerie of resources. Members can build their own space, discuss in the forum,start or join a group, participate in live chat, upload lessons plans, unit studies, pictures, videos and more. The THL community is vibrant and diverse, yet unified in a passion and commitment to home educate."

Between reading new posts and searching old posts for information... I spend ridiculous amounts of time here...

Now you want me to go somewhere else too??? DD will have to start schooling herself! :D

:lol: Starting August 2, I'll rarely be here more than 5 minutes at a time and I'll probably "status and run" on Facebook. Simply no more free time :( until Thanksgiving break.

You know, I've joined various other boards and forums. There are a lot of interesting ones and they keep me occupied for a bit, but I always end up back here and just check those others out occasionally.:) This is definitely my "go to" board. I think it is the amount of people here and the variety, the immediacy of answers to posts,lots of wisdom, and some good humor.

My first day there, deleted my account and came "home".

I don't even remember the exact incident but I had joined a discussion and got slammed, very rudely.

I was extremely taken aback, there was nothing untoward in what I had said. I don't need that kind of crap.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma

I joined THL lastyear sometime..needless to say I've never posted there and only visited there since joining maybe once. I haven't the time. Between mama duties, wife duties, friendship duties, homeschooling, sewing and on this forum..I haven't the time...

:iagree: Pretty much what she said. I poked around and gave it a chance, even added a blog post to my profile. Then I came back here for my homeschool chat fix. :001_smile:

Guest Dulcimeramy

I belonged to THSL awhile back.

I had no bad experiences on forums and nothing weird happened. Nobody tried to sell me anything and there were no secret handshakes.

There are some very, very sweet people there! During the time I was a member, there were many older hs moms who were generously sharing their time and wisdom. I found them to be very encouraging.

I just decided I don't have time to keep up a page like that and do all the networking and back-and-forth that seem to be the style there. I prefer msg board format, and nowhere beats WTM for info.

You know, I've joined various other boards and forums. There are a lot of interesting ones and they keep me occupied for a bit, but I always end up back here and just check those others out occasionally.:) This is definitely my "go to" board. I think it is the amount of people here and the variety, the immediacy of answers to posts,lots of wisdom, and some good humor.

:iagree:

I have precious little time as it is so 2 forums right now is 1 too much. :)

I find it really off-putting that you have to join in order to read the "about" page. HUH? How does that make any sense? I understand keeping the forum or member info private - even articles and content, but ABOUT? That's just weird.

That's how they get to claim so many members, especially to their advertisers, I'm assuming. ;)

I find it really off-putting that you have to join in order to read the "about" page. HUH? How does that make any sense? I understand keeping the forum or member info private - even articles and content, but ABOUT? That's just weird.

As mentioned before, The Homeschool Lounge is built on the Ning platform, in order to keep the site private and safe for the members the site is closed. Unlike this forum where you do not have to be a member to read posts (which I love) the only part of The Homeschool Lounge open to the public is the homepage. The about page is in the site therefore it is made private and kept so by Ning.

As for rude members, I think you will find that on any forum or network but the mods do work very hard to keep the forums "drama" free. It is just a matter of preference, WTM and THL are very different forums and serve similar yet different purposes. :001_smile:

I love THL! That being said, I have become addicted to this board! Oops, did I just say that out loud? :blushing: There are really sweet, supportive women at THL and the mods are good at keeping things fair but fun. The "groups" are great - I belong to Frugal Living, Older Moms, Conservative Politics, Homeschooling Thru High School, Recipe Exchange, Apologia Homeschoolers (Jeannie Fulbright's in that one), and others. The groups facilitate friendships and you get to know the others in the group faster. Not so anonymous as other places like yahoo groups.

I am on the HSL as well as here, and I go back and forth during my personal computer time (more at some times of the year than others...). But I have to say that HSL is not nearly as active as we are here. Most of my time is spent here for that reason.

Without online support through hs websites, my ship would have sunk a long time ago! (Was that correct grammar I used? :huh: Oh, you know what I mean!!!)

Blessings,

Lucinda

I joined HSL but I must say I prefer WTM. I don't want to make my own page, I know lots of people are doing Facebooky things but I don't do that and don't want to. I like that I can come here and see a variety of posts on things that interest me. It is uncluttered, active and does not require me to have to make "friends" or "sisters" or keep up a page of my own. I just want the info! :D:D

It IS kind of funny because there are a lot of you on here that I feel I have gotten to "know" even though you don't even know I exist! You are all fun to read and I think many of you would make great friends but frankly, I don't have time to maintain relationships online as well as in real life. Some aspects of a site like that is appealing but I have enough guilt for the hour a day I spend on this site, I don't need one that requires even more of me!:001_huh: