Menu

Dog People/hornblower? Urgent!

I'm not sure that they could do much for the fungal stuff anyway, even if it is an issue.

Remember there's no real cure for parvo - all the treatment is supportive: reduce some symptoms, keep the dog hydrated, & alive to fight it off himself. parvo is a virus - it can't be treated with an antibiotic for instance.

Parvo is truly awful. Immunization remains really the only defense & unfortunately as you're experiencing, in certain parts of the country, there are significant outbreaks.

Fingers crossed for you. It's a terrible thing to be going through.

I really think at this point you need to let the vet do their stuff. This is where it becomes critical to have a vet whose opinion & judgement you trust. I often do ask my vets: if this were your animal, what would you do? And I trust their judgement.

I'd stop googling now & go sit with your dog. Bring a book, a cushion, sit on the floor & read out loud.

:grouphug:

Hang in there. They really do usually get worse before they get better. Keep hoping for the best. You do *not* want to bring him home until or unless he is well. Parvo is not something you want to die from "naturally" at home. If he is going to die, he'll do it on his own, or the vet can help you if that is needed. . . But, usually, you want to keep fighting the good fight until he gets better, or not. B/c, honestly, they get soooo sick before they improve. Just b/c he is terribly ill doesn't mean he won't get better.

Thank you both. It's hard to stay sane. I think this must be a small taste (small, sice this is a dog and not a kid) of what itmust feel like to have a sick child. I'm the mom. I'm supposed to be the one taking care of my family when they're sick. But this is beyond my abilities and understanding. And with one car, I can't even be up there as much as I'd like and have to trust strangers to take care of him.

To test for dehydration, pinch the skin on the back of the neck and if it stays up he is severly dehydrated and must go to the vet. If he has blood in his stool, he has to go to the vet.

For treatment

Talk to your vet about this: Sounds crazy, but fiber (metamucil 1/2 tsp dissolved in syringe in side of mouth to bulk up his stool) is important. Bland diet, Anfrol (must get from the vet) and Tylosan powder or Tylan (must get from the vet). $900 is too much. If he will drink, you can do Pediolyte or chicken broth.

Many times they die from the dehydration not the disease. My sister has been a breeder/trainer for 17 years. He can go days w/o eating but MUST drink.

You should also put him on safeguard /fenbendazole (can get from Tractor Supply) labeled for goats 1 cc per 5 lbs.

I hope this helps. Blessings.

A dog with parvo doesn't need metamucil and chicken broth, he needs antibiotics, iv fluids, pain meds, anti rs emetics,and possibly the new serum product (name is escaping me) that targets the toxins from the disease. That kind of advice would be appropriate for a dog that age too many treats and has an upset stomach, not for parvo. 900 dollars is certainly reasonable for that long of a hospitilization, bloodwork, iv fluids, other meds, etc. That a breeder would advise otherwise is why I have such bad feelings towards breeders. Veterinarians shouldn't interfere with showing dogs and breeders shouldn't interfere with veterinary care.

A dog with parvo doesn't need metamucil and chicken broth, he needs antibiotics, iv fluids, pain meds, anti rs emetics,and possibly the new serum product (name is escaping me) that targets the toxins from the disease. That kind of advice would be appropriate for a dog that age too many treats and has an upset stomach, not for parvo. 900 dollars is certainly reasonable for that long of a hospitilization, bloodwork, iv fluids, other meds, etc. That a breeder would advise otherwise is why I have such bad feelings towards breeders. Veterinarians shouldn't interfere with showing dogs and breeders shouldn't interfere with veterinary care.

Which proves the point we were trying to make earlier. . .

That a breeder would advise otherwise is why I have such bad feelings towards breeders.

totally agree. What poppycock.

Veterinarians shouldn't interfere with showing dogs and breeders shouldn't interfere with veterinary care.

Well - breeders don't necessarily show....

And actually I do think veterinarians SHOULD interfere.

They should interfere with the lame client who says she plans to breed Fifi because she's so cute! And the lady down the street has such a nice little dog & they'll make wonderful puppies!

They should interfere with breeders who are breeding unsound animals.

And actually I think they should interfere with showing too - where breed standards require mutilation of the animals (ear crops, tail docks etc.)

Vets are trusted members of the community & they need to take positions, professionally & as individuals about what they will & will not condone.

Thank you both. It's hard to stay sane. I think this must be a small taste (small, sice this is a dog and not a kid) of what itmust feel like to have a sick child. I'm the mom. I'm supposed to be the one taking care of my family when they're sick. But this is beyond my abilities and understanding. And with one car, I can't even be up there as much as I'd like and have to trust strangers to take care of him.

:grouphug:

I am sorry, Scuff. This sounds awful!

Just got back from seeing him a bit ago and he's doing great! He's barking and eating and *really* wants out of his kennel. I was covered in fur when I left because I couldn't just sit by him and pet him with his head in my lap, I had to hold him firmly and tightly to keep him from trying to escape! Definitely back to his old self. His one paw did swell up, so they had to move his IV. But that's very minor and will take care of itself. They're going to keep him until morning, just to watch him, since he was still throwing up last night. But we should have him tomorrow! :hurray:

You say you hate breeders and that she needs to give antibiotics. Chicken broth, fluids, pediallyte are wrong, but fluids are right? I told her how to test for dehydration which can come on quickly and show that she needs to take her dog to an emergency clinic. My post also says "must get from your vet" and things like check with your vet, etc. The dog must drink, etc. Also ANTIBIOTICS:

<LI class=ArticleContentBullet>Tylosin is an antibiotic categorized further as a "macrolide". Other members of this class of antibiotics include erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, spiramycin, and dirithromycin.

If you are a vet tech, you would know this. Good breeders work WITH their vets not against them. They have great relationships. 17 years is a long time. My sister has world class shepherds...world team competitors which cost 20k plus and are imported, would she risk them over $900? I wouldn't offer ANY advice if I didn't know it was good. Yours seems to just be vets know everything...even bad ones and it is RUDE. Her training is sought out worldwide. People fly in on private jet for sessions with her. I just wanted to help someone in a desperate situation and called her because she loves the breed. Parvo is a wicked virus. Breeders know this and have experience with it. You might learn something from them.

:glare:

You say you hate breeders and that she needs to give antibiotics. Chicken broth, fluids, pediallyte are wrong, but fluids are right? I told her how to test for dehydration which can come on quickly and show that she needs to take her dog to an emergency clinic. My post also says "must get from your vet" and things like check with your vet, etc. The dog must drink, etc. Also ANTIBIOTICS:

<LI class=ArticleContentBullet>Tylosin is an antibiotic categorized further as a "macrolide". Other members of this class of antibiotics include erythromycin, clarithromycin, azithromycin, spiramycin, and dirithromycin.

If you are a vet tech, you would know this. Good breeders work WITH their vets not against them. They have great relationships. 17 years is a long time. My sister has world class shepherds...world team competitors which cost 20k plus and are imported, would she risk them over $900? I wouldn't offer ANY advice if I didn't know it was good. Yours seems to just be vets know everything...even bad ones and it is RUDE. Her training is sought out worldwide. People fly in on private jet for sessions with her. I just wanted to help someone in a desperate situation and called her because she loves the breed. Parvo is a wicked virus. Breeders know this and have experience with it. You might learn something from them.

Her dog is at the vet being given i.v. fluids and antibiotics. Do you want her to go in and supplement their care with your home remedies? Or do you want her to take her dog away so that she can treat him instead of the vet?

I couldn't have given him chicken broth anyway. By the time I posted this he wasn't holding anything down. He has a touchy digestive system and has had soft poops before. So we didn't really think much of it at first. We were just giving him his food dry, yogurt, stuff like that that helped before. Then he kept puking and I was giving him rice and food. Then he went downhill fast and we knew this was more than just a little upset. I do appreciate everyone's efforts to help and advice and support. It's been a rough week!

There seems to be some confusion...

You should always work with your vet, but do your own research and talk to your vet about it. Same thing with your dr. My point was that you try what is tried and true and take him/her in to the vet. Talk to the dr. about what you found out. Talk to him/her about what is a fair price for treatment and what is necessary. People get desperate b/c they love their pet and unfortunately there are many vets who are out for $$ and will do unnecessary tests, especially at the emergency vets.

I am so glad that he is recovering. That is the point. As soon as I read your post (which was in the middle of the night) I called my sister. She had a bout with Parvo once and she and her vet worked through it. Turns out, some of it was Parvo and some was Clostridium (sp?). It was difficult to figure out. The things I mentioned were not home remedies, they were first lines of defense and you should ALWAYS go to the VET and do your own research so you can make informed decisions. :grouphug:

Her dog is at the vet being given i.v. fluids and antibiotics. Do you want her to go in and supplement their care with your home remedies? Or do you want her to take her dog away so that she can treat him instead of the vet?

Absolutely NOT! I read the first post and was thinking they were still at home.

Everything you mentioned was oral, which would be useless at best given that the dog couldn't keep anything down. Hence the need for fluids and meds via IV. I know exactly what the drugs you mentioned are, and think they are GREAT for a dog with colitis or IBD. But not appropriate for a parvo dog that can't stop vomiting. what you suggested would only aggravate vomiting and likely make it worse.

• 2 weeks later...