Menu

Survey about cookbooks

Please read the post - Cookbook question  

1. 1. Please read the post - Cookbook question

• Cookbook/Gardening book. Seasonal recipes.
    • Cookbook with low cost but healthy recipes.
    • Cookbook with gourmet recipes from everyday resources.
    • None of the above.

I've been contemplating writing a cookbook for a few years now. I know what kind of cookbook I want to write, but I was wondering which of these would appeal to you? Which would you most likely buy for yourself, check out of the library or buy for a gift? You can vote for more than one.

1. A cookbook/gardening advice book that has recipes that are seasonal. They recipes will follow what is available in the garden (so no spring asparagus with winter squash recipes). And tips on how to garden to go along with the recipes.

2. A cookbook with recipes for low cost cooking with products from garden, farmers market, and ordinary grocery store. Focus on fresh, but no gardening tips. Focus on plain and not fancy recipes. Focus on healthy and organic and saving money.

3. A cookbook with recipes for average to gourmet meals from the garden, farmers markets and the average grocery store. How to eat well and eat things that are delicious.

Edited by OrganicAnn

I voted for both 1 and 3. I actually just set down a CSA cookbook that has tons of awesome recipes to come check in here :tongue_smilie:! The budget meals cookbooks are done and done again. The local, eat simply but deliciously, in season cookbooks are farther and fewer between. I think that aspect is what I like about the old country church sponsored cookbooks - they are simple recipes passed down from generations of eating from the backyard gardens (just don't turn to the dessert sections!). I also think the movement is to eat closer to home (if not right from the backyard) and getting back to understanding and appreciating where our sustenance comes from.

Thanks for the feedback. Part of my motivation is frustration with cookbooks that combine things that aren't in season at the same time.

I have a 'farmer's cookbook' that has at least 3 recipes that are awesome, that my parents had for years and I just inherited it - so there may be other great recipes I need to try. Anyway, the thought of garden to table is what interests me most, but I'm not sure what other twist - gourmet, low cost etc would appeal to others.

I've been contemplating writing a cookbook for a few years now. I know what kind of cookbook I want to write, but I was wondering which of these would appeal to you? Which would you most likely buy for yourself, check out of the library or buy for a gift?
None of them, to be honest. There's already a glut of cookbooks on the market and I find that most people who care about cooking in a "garden-to-table" manner (like myself) aren't very into cookbooks anyway.

... I find that most people who care about cooking in a "garden-to-table" manner (like myself) aren't very into cookbooks anyway.

I primarily cook garden to table and am a cookbook hound. I love new recipes, old recipes, just cookbooks in general. Big fan of the cookbooks here.

I voted #1.

I'm just in from the garden. I have an armload of squash. I need to know 3 things. What do I cook? What can I do with frozen squash and how long should I blanch it? AND Should I let the vine borer have the squash plant it killed, or pull up the plant? If I pull the plant, will those bugs just migrate to the end of the row and kill everything?

I have too much cilantro to use today. What is the best way to store it in the fridge. Can I freeze it?

My tomatoes are still green, but my cilantro is ready! Help!

I want to can salsa. Any recipes?

My homegrown jalepenos are never as hot as at the store. Why? Should I use more per recipe?

So.....write #1. I'll proofread it, test it, buy it, and recommend it. :D

I would like to see a 'getting started garden to table' style book.

How to pick the produce and know it is fresh, ripe and ready to eat.

What are the best cucumbers for salads vs pickling.

Information about substitutes (ie if I don't have fingerling potatoes, can I use baby reds?), or alternate versions too (can those muffins be made with strawberries, marionberries or blackberries too).

Maybe a farmer's market list of things that combine well, like fresh dill with grilled veggies. Or what to do with the leftover farmer's marked finds. Not recipes but just some ideas. (ie if you have leftover strawberries from the muffins, how about strawberry vinaigrette pp32)

Some fresh herb vs dried herb information.

I voted for all three!

I would definitely buy the first one for my sister. She grows a great garden and buys stuff from the farmer's market and belongs to a CSA. She would love a cookbook like that!

I would buy the other two for me and just about anyone else! They all sound great. Write away!

I pick #2 as well. But what I would LOVE to see are more organic/whole food cookbooks that have normal everyday recipes in them that my kids would actually try. I get tired of picking up cook books for 'kids' that include things like grilled mahi mahi with a side of dilled escargo...or whatever. My kids have simple tastes, and I have a hard time finding new recipes that aren't something you'd find at a 5 star french restaurant. :tongue_smilie:

I would love a cookbook that combined seasonal foods with inexpensive ways of preparing them. I also love the idea of the children's cookbook with it. One of our favorites in our household is Simply in Season and Simply in Season kids.

And, oh yes, a picture of the recipe! My boys love to cook and use cookbooks, but they are more apt to try something if they can see it first.

I primarily cook garden to table and am a cookbook hound. I love new recipes, old recipes, just cookbooks in general. Big fan of the cookbooks here.

Good. Sounds like I'm not the only geek who likes to read cookbooks for fun and it is not even dependent on whether or not I have any intention of cooking the recipes. :001_smile:

All three ideas sound great. I love all different types of cookbooks, but one thing I love, love, love cookbooks to have are sample menu suggestions for the recipes in the book. Like one of my fave books will list the recipe and have a sidenote saying "pairs well with recipe on this page or recipe on this page".

" I have too much cilantro to use today. What is the best way to store it in the fridge. Can I freeze it?

My tomatoes are still green, but my cilantro is ready! Help!"

To answer you question about cilantro - keep trimming it back and don't let it go to flower and you can extend the life. You can also freeze it. You kinda treat it like basil. Wash. chop up. freeze in water in ice cube trays. It is not as good as fresh, but okay.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think starting just collecting some ideas and trying recipes will be fun. I don't know if it will ever make it to completion.

I think kids friendly would be great idea too. I'm always amazed when they list kid friend recipes in magazine and some of the ingredients include things that aren't my idea of kid friendly - radicchio and oyster mushroom.

OK, my 2 cents on the subject:

If you wrote a cookbook for fruits and vegetable in season, what if you tailored it by geographic region. For example, blueberries like cooler climates. We don't eat them, but we do eat raspberries and strawberries. Lettuce bolts in our summer heat, but on the coast or cooler climates lettuce and broccoli grow well year round. Cooking from the farmer's market and cooking in season would be a good place to start. When a person has a pound of snow peas, how do I cook 'em every day so the kids won't groan.

I came across a book Canning Preserving with Ashley English. I like the modern layout of this book and choose it over the classic Blue Ribbon Canning and Preserving. English's book doesn't use esoteric ingredients, the photos are great, and it serves all levels of cooks from those just starting to those like myself who've canned for 30 years.