Menu

If you do a "first day of school" each year.......

what types of traditions do you include?

I have seen this on various blogs and would like to start something with DD this year. (well, I'm sure DS will participate somewhat also) So far I am thinking......

- taking their pictures (to be in the same place each year)

- fun breakfast

- do an "all about me" lapbook (do each year, at least during elementary)

- a few new school supplies

- will try to arrange a late afternoon playdate with some hs buddies

I would love to hear what others do. We will probably do ours the same day DH (high school teacher) goes back for the fall.

Oh, and a question I just thought of...... who else sells quality backpacks online besides Lands End/LL Bean? We would like to get one for DD, but are looking specifically for light purple. (her favorite color)

Thanks! :D

I usually make "school cones" based on German shultuete (though those are reserved for first grade). Just a cone of cardboard filled with some new pencils, stickers, a couple of small treats, and usually some other small school supplies and perhaps a fun thing like an educational card game, colored pencils, or small book, etc. I didn't do them this school year, lol, and my kids *still* haven't forgiven me! ;) They're making sure I know I'm not to skip them again this year. Since dh is a prof, and usually starts school about the same time we do, I sometimes make him a cone too. :)

I do wish I had done photos on the first day of school each year. Personally, the "all about me" lapbook isn't particularly appealing. ;)

As for backpacks, have you looked at the Lands End Classmates Small Haul backpacks? They have a plain and a printed light purple. Pottery Barn Kids also has light purple...

We start with pictures then we have a not back to school celebration at the playground the morning of the first day of public school. I bring donuts and chocolate milk, which is a real treat. When we get home I give them gift bags with their school supplies and a few special things.

Edited by Quiver0f10

Ever since my 11yo was a kindergartner we've done the same thing: each child puts their hand print (using their favorite color paint) in a scrapbook for this purpose. Then I list their favorite book, movie, TV show, best friends, joke, snack, dinner, anything else they want to add (one year one of them wanted me to write out a summary of a "cool dream", LOL!) etc. They love it. I leave a space for some photos, and I take photos that day to add later.

They look over their new books, check out their new school supplies, that sort of thing. They decorate a large 3-ring binder with stickers and whatnot (or draw a picture to slide into the clear pocket on front - whatever they want to do).

Then we go out for breakfast with some home school friends. This part is a real treat since it's pretty much the only time all year we go out for breakfast. :001_smile:

Everything but school. :D Really.

Give new school supplies. Fun breakfast, go over new subjects, if any, and schedule. Quit for the day. With 8 at home this can take all day.

Then when we start a new year we generally start with just a couple of subjects a day and slowly add more until we are doing a full schedule in a couple of weeks.

I love reading these! We won't do much actual "school" that day either, since K4 doesn't have that much to begin with. ;)

As for backpacks, have you looked at the Lands End Classmates Small Haul backpacks? They have a plain and a printed light purple. Pottery Barn Kids also has light purple...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Somehow I had missed the Small Haul backpack when I was looking.

We do an "all about me" page on the first day of school. I found it online somewhere a few years ago. There is a space for the child's picture, as well as a few questions. Other than that, we don't do anything extra special on the first day.

We do have a Homeschool Celebration Day on the first day of public school in our area. We usually start our academic year before the public school, so this takes place after we've been schooling for a month or so. My dds' favorite part of this "holiday" is that I always make a school themed cake. One year, it was a cake shaped like a pencil. I also have scavenger hunts for them to do, and we sometimes go to a matinee at the movie theater -- just because we can. :) I like to take them out for breakfast or lunch sometimes on this day, too. My dds really like surprises, so we always do something special, but it varies from year to year.

Lynne

Even though I don't want to think about it, cuz we have 5 days left from this year. . . . . :glare:

I've always felt that I wanted our kids to have "markers" in their lives - both for the beginning of the school year and the end. Here's what we do:

First Day of School:

- take pictures at desk/work area

- take picture of all the kids on front step

- everyone fills out an "all about me" form, it's got things like age, grade, height, weight, favorite _______s, etc. I've got them all the way from when dd18 was 5!!!!!

Last Day (Week) of School:

- the kids assemble a "display" of sorts for either our local homeschool group's Open House (ambitious year), friends we invite over (semi-ambitious year), or Dad (quiet year).

- I spend a day making a video of them talking about their displays, what they liked, what they learned, etc.

More than for the kids - I need to see we've accomplished something. I need markers in the road to say, "By God's grace, we've come this far."

First day of school we take pictures in front of the house. I always make sure they don't have shoes on. This is our tradition and the thing my ds10 loves most about school...no shoes!

I usually make a special breakfast.

When I can, I have new school stuff for them that they haven't seen. We don't need many new things for this school year.

Also, I wait to put up the new posters, etc. until the night before after they are in bed. That way it's a surprise.

I really don't want to think about the new school year though. I haven't even ordered curriculum.

To celebrate the first day of public school - we used to go to the mall! Now, we start our day late with a big breakfast.

To celebrate the first day of our school - which is earlier than the public schools - we open new school supplies and put notebooks together. Dc still enjoy decorating their notebooks and organizing their activity baskets. We overview all the books we have for the new year and discuss plans/goals. I usually make a tea lunch with finger sandwiches, fine china, etc.

We go out to breakfast with dh and the grandparents. We rarely, rarely go out to eat so this is a real treat. Then we go to Target and buy school supplies, whatever the kids want, even if they already have crayons at home :D, and stock up on $0.25 glue sticks.

We get home mid-morning and sort out the loot. Then, the kids make pictures for the front of their portfolios (we keep all the year's work in a 4" binder and then cull the best and comb bind that at the end of the year). We give each child a Welcome letter that hits some of the highlights of what they'll be learning that year along with our perception of their strengths and areas where we know they are poised to grow.

Eventually, we do a little bit of school.

The last 3 yrs we have started our school year, first day with a treasure hunt. I make clues for each item and starting with a new outfit(normally a summery one that I have purchased on clearance) I put the clue for the next item in the pocket. After they have put on their new duds they take the new clue and look for it. On it is attached a paper with clue for the next item and so on. I normally include a small fun something and basic school supplies.

Last year they were both up before 6 waiting to start their treasure hunt. LOL

We then do a short math/LA/Reading lesson and go to the park for a picnic and fun. It makes it so they both look forward to school starting. The next day...... reality hits. :lol::lol::lol:

You all are making the rest of us look bad.

At our house? We start school. That's it. Boring.

I wish we'd done a "first day of school" picture though!!!

i couldn't have said it better! LOL. i figured that was enough. our class photos so far have been the yearly sports ones (baseball/tball, etc). i figure that works. :D

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking about starting some first day traditions and found this thread with the search tool. Wondering if anyone else has anything to add to these wonderful ideas. This will be our first year homeschooling and I want to make the first day really fun for the kids.

So, how do you celebrate the first day? What are your traditions? If you start on a different day than the local public school, do you have a tradition for that day as well?

Special breakfast with Daddy - who goes to work late, because he can

They decorate a poster with the number of their new grade, then hold it in a picture, same place each year

Open gifts - first day of school gifts usually include a few new supplies and fun books/art projects

A short school day, making sure to start a fun new read-aloud

a treat in every workbox

Dinner out with Daddy, to the local pizza arcade

:D

The last 3 yrs we have started our school year, first day with a treasure hunt. I make clues for each item and starting with a new outfit(normally a summery one that I have purchased on clearance) I put the clue for the next item in the pocket. After they have put on their new duds they take the new clue and look for it. On it is attached a paper with clue for the next item and so on. I normally include a small fun something and basic school supplies.

Last year they were both up before 6 waiting to start their treasure hunt. LOL

We then do a short math/LA/Reading lesson and go to the park for a picnic and fun. It makes it so they both look forward to school starting. The next day...... reality hits. :lol::lol::lol:

That's awesome - I may have to steal that for next year! :D

Special breakfast with Daddy - who goes to work late, because he can

They decorate a poster with the number of their new grade, then hold it in a picture, same place each year

Open gifts - first day of school gifts usually include a few new supplies and fun books/art projects

A short school day, making sure to start a fun new read-aloud

a treat in every workbox

Dinner out with Daddy, to the local pizza arcade

:D

Love all these ideas! I am thinking cinnamon rolls for the special breakfast with Daddy. Gifts are an awesome idea, too!

Last year our family went out for breakfast on the first and last days of school, at the same local restaurant. It was fun to talk about the changes that had occurred over that nine months (including the restaurant having a fire, remodeling, and re-opening!), to try to remember what we'd ordered on the first day.

I try to take pictures as well.

We've done different types of back to school cakes or cupcakes. One year was cupcakes made to look like apples, with red frosting, a pretzel stick as a stem, and a mint leaf. Another year was a cake frosted like a pencil. I think these were both out of Family Fun magazine.

Erica in OR

You all are making the rest of us look bad.

At our house? We start school. That's it. Boring.

I wish we'd done a "first day of school" picture though!!!

This is us, as well. I did do a "first day of kindergarten" picture with the oldest two. I wish we had some traditions for back to school. I guess it's not too late to start.

Ever since my 11yo was a kindergartner we've done the same thing: each child puts their hand print (using their favorite color paint) in a scrapbook for this purpose. Then I list their favorite book, movie, TV show, best friends, joke, snack, dinner, anything else they want to add (one year one of them wanted me to write out a summary of a "cool dream", LOL!) etc. They love it. I leave a space for some photos, and I take photos that day to add later.

:

That is a great idea! I think I will make up some kind of print-out for them to do on Monday when we start back. Thanks for the inspiration!

We take a photo and have a special breakfast, but other than that, not too much. I like the idea of the all about me sheet. I may have to try that. I did a shulteute last year and might do it again this year. Since we're starting on Monday, I'd have to get myself in gear if I'm going to do that again.

For the first day of ps, we cut the day short and go out for ice cream. This is is FAVORITE tradition. I take photos while we're at the ice cream parlor and he really hams it up. He says it's to show how much fun it is NOT to be in ps.

We take a photo and have a special breakfast, but other than that, not too much. I like the idea of the all about me sheet. I may have to try that. I did a shulteute last year and might do it again this year. Since we're starting on Monday, I'd have to get myself in gear if I'm going to do that again.

For the first day of ps, we cut the day short and go out for ice cream. This is is FAVORITE tradition. I take photos while we're at the ice cream parlor and he really hams it up. He says it's to show how much fun it is NOT to be in ps.

I just made up a cute little "all about me" sheet for the girls to do Monday. I left room at the top for a picture or hand-print. If you want me to, I can email it to you. It's really simple, but might save you some time trying to come up with one. PM me your email address, if you want it.