Menu

Are our eating habits that abnormal?

They exercise very hard and some long hours, and they tend to need small meals before and something right after. They can't eat huge meals before working out. So I would say my boys snack a good bit. Their snacks are often meal-type food - left overs, a chick burrito, hummus and pita. They eat a LOT of calories.

Your dinner sounds more elaborate than I typically make during the week. Mashing potatoes or chicken frying meat sounds like an ordeal to clean up after. But it's not totally off the charts. The thing is, if I get my mother a glass of water from the tap, she's likely to say, "you shouldn't have gone to so much trouble for me" so just the fact that he said that doesn't seem strange to me.

Yes, I think you are abnormal (in the sense of unusual: don't mean in a derogatory way) having kids who don't snack. Most active children, especially the younger ones, want/need more than three meals in a day.

As for the meal you served, I wouldn't have thought it was that fancy, but I guess that's just a matter of perspective. Some people may view a meal with meat as fancier than one without?

My kids snack a lot, mostly on leftovers, fruit, yogurt, cheese and crackers. They all get a more exercise than most of the kids I know. None of them are overweight, and some of them are downright skinny.

Your meal doesn't sound elaborate to me. I think the fact that many people don't cook every night anymore probably had something to do with your guest's reaction.

The dinner sounds normal to me. But, we ARE snackers.

I have SKINNY 14, 12, 10, and 4 yo. During the day, the are able to snack on carrots, celery, cream cheese, homemade bread, hummus, apples, peaches, oranges, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, yogurt (plain, with jelly or honey), etc. I've definitely noticed that my oldest two are eating a LOT more snacks than the others! But, they're both skinny as can be (my oldest is 5' 9" and weighs 115 - fully clothed!! My 12 yo weighs a bit more - 120 or so - and is 5' 5".)

Every nutritionist on the planet recommends 6 small 'meals' instead of 3 large ones. I think a lot of behavior issues are due to low blood sugar and other hunger issues. I can't imagine making small child wait so long between meals. I suppose some can manage, but it's not likely.

My kids do snack but on fresh veggies or fruit. I do put together my own healthy trail mix (I dont MAKE it myself, I buy what I want in it then mix it all together) My kids snack on yogurt, sometimes cottage cheese. Sometime they will have a chunk of cheese (extra sharp cheddar or mozzarella) but we do not do chips (except extremely rare situations) or crackers or junk. No fruit snacks (should be called candy:lol:)

I always make a good big meal similar to what you described but we have our large meal at lunch (well 1pm-ish) then something small for dinner such as some soup, fruit and veggies.

Every nutritionist on the planet recommends 6 small 'meals' instead of 3 large ones. I think a lot of behavior issues are due to low blood sugar and other hunger issues. I can't imagine making small child wait so long between meals. I suppose some can manage, but it's not likely.

I wouldn't deal well without snacks! Nuts are my friend!

I think many people don't cook much anymore and even a very simple family meal seems like a lot of work to them
I think this is also the reason that they need so many snacks. I don't buy snacks for the same reasons as you. We have sandwiches or fruit if we need a snack. I even have to watch fruit because my toddler will eat it all in one day and that can get pricey.

I think this is also the reason that they need so many snacks. I don't buy snacks for the same reasons as you. We have sandwiches or fruit if we need a snack. I even have to watch fruit because my toddler will eat it all in one day and that can get pricey.

I make 3 meals daily, but healthy sancks are still part of our day. I suggest doing a little research about how the body metabolizes food. Most people need more food, in lesser amounts throughout the day. 6 small, rather than 3 large. Always exceptions to the rule, so I won't argue individual need.

Edited by LibraryLover

Thanks for your concern. We actually typically have 5 meals, but not "snackey" foods.

Are you taking to me? I have no idea who posts what. I never pay attention to that. I don't know if you consider 'snackey' food eggs or cheese or nuts...but that's how I care for my children who have blood sugar issues. We eat about 5 times a day, but they are not all heavy meals, although if my children needed heavier snacks/ meals, I would make sure they got them. Not really sure what you mean...

I am happy you don't have blood sugar issues-- you're lucky!

( I thought the OP was talking about 3 meals a day only, and no snacks, and you're already at 5, but since they are meals rather than snacks, I am not sure what to say...lif I am misudnerstanding, let me know :) )

But. My point was that many of us cook...and cook well.. 3 times a day, even, with lots of healthy organic foods, and still have children who need protein at regular intervals. If that offends you, I am super sorry. :) :D

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes, we snack too. Types of snacks include popcorn, microwave homemade nachos, 2 minute noodles, and lots of fruit. My kids dont like cake, but I did make a healthy slice recently they devoured- that is rare. Snacks are usually savoury, virtualyl mini meals, or fruit. But, they are teens and eat a lot.

Your meal would be considered very "plain fayre" here. Your guest must live off take aways or processed foods.

Do most kids snack? We just eat our three basic meals. Occasionally, my kids will eat a granola bar or Annie's bunnies but it isn't typical.

No snacking in my house, either, nor in my home when I was growing up.

So, if what I made wasn't a simple meal, what is?

Sounds pretty simple to me.:001_huh:

Oh yes my kids snack! Not offering them a snack is just setting my house up for miserableness. Really.

They have a (what I consider) substantial breakfast, a snack around 10-10:30, lunch around noon, an afternoon snack and then dinner. AM snack today was carrots, hummus and homemade banana nut muffins. That is typical. I usually try to get one veggie in the AM snack, a protein and often a "munchy". My children a very active and really being to wilt when they are hungry. I can see the brain function diminish when we get close to snack time. Veggies are always available to eat, fruit is a little more limited, but really my kids eat very healthy, balanced diets, so I don't limit it a lot more like have a veggie, then a fruit instead of multiple fruits back to back.

I honestly don't think I would be asking- 'are we abnormal' , as it sounds like code for --'Aren't we superior?" -- wrt the family generously hosting my family.

I get that the family is somewhat protected because we don't know them (although honestly...thread last forever), but they offered your children something to eat at a time you do not typically eat, and you're disucssing that generosity in a negative way here. It feels off to me. Maybe they are trying to be polite. Let it go.

Why not say, "We are staying with such a nice family who generously oferred my children a snack!" or 'They were so willing to help us!" . That would seem so much more gracious that this. Perhaps this sounds harsher that I would like, but I really don't think you should gossip (in any way) about a family taking in a large family, and then being generous to this large family.

This is absolutely NOT what I intended. I am very grateful to this family, though I'm afraid I came across wrong because I could not come up with any suggestions when she asked (other than granola bars) and honestly did not know if my kids liked the items she suggested because they haven't had them in many years, if ever.

She said her kids eat cereal for breakfast. I said mine would be ecstatic to get cereal because they really haven't had it from about 8 months now. We cook breakfast to avoid the dairy issue.

For dinner, I told her anything she made would be fine and probably adaptable to the dairy issues my youngest has unless it is a dish that is heavily reliant on dairy. I really don't want to be difficult.

I'm totally aware of that recommendation. Following it makes me very sick because the smaller meals don't keep my sugar high enough to last even an hour. I think my metabolism is too high because it just burns through those smaller meals like I ate nothing. I've since learned that larger meals work better for me.

My kids aren't forbidden from having snacks. If they are hungry, they are allowed to eat. More often, it's me telling them must eat. My daughter tries to skip breakfast often. Today, she only wanted half a sandwich for lunch.

Edited by joannqn

The reason that nutritionists recommend small meals throughout the day has everything to do with blood sugar (someone touched on that already). It's very important to keep the body from having spikes of insulin released all at once.

If you don't at least have some snacks you are more apt to eat a large portion at your meal. That in turn will cause a spike in your blood sugar which will boost your pancreas into action dumping loads of insulin into your body. (This can also lead to weight gain).

If you spread your carbohydrate intake out throughout the day you do not get these spikes.

OK, climbing down of my soapbox. :lol:

A typical day for us is:

Breakfast: 2 pancakes about 5 inches in diameter w/juice or milk, sometimes with a fried egg

Lunch: A turkey and cheese sandwich. Depending on the person it may have tomatoes, pickles, and/or lettuce on it. If we have any, I might cut up a piece or two of fruit to share or add some chips.

Dinner: Well, you've already seen our dinner.

Your meals are similar in type to ours, but not in quantity. My kids would definitely need more than this for their meals. They also need a lot of snacks. Snacks are what they eat between meals, and they are healthy foods. Treats are unhealthy items (chips, cookies, etc), and they are not snacks in our household! Treats are treats, and we eat those too. :001_smile: Despite eating a lot and often, my kids are extremely healthy.

Why do some people assume that a snack is an unhealthy food?

Edited by 2squared

Are you taking to me? I have no idea who posts what. I never pay attention to that. I don't know if you consider 'snackey' food eggs or cheese or nuts...but that's how I care for my children who have blood sugar issues. We eat about 5 times a day, but they are not all heavy meals, although if my children needed heavier snacks/ meals, I would make sure they got them. Not really sure what you mean...

I am happy you don't have blood sugar issues-- you're lucky!

( I thought the OP was talking about 3 meals a day only, and no snacks, and you're already at 5, but since they are meals rather than snacks, I am not sure what to say...lif I am misudnerstanding, let me know :) )

But. My point was that many of us cook...and cook well.. 3 times a day, even, with lots of healthy organic foods, and still have children who need protein at regular intervals. If that offends you, I am super sorry. :) :D

Um, nevermind. :grouphug:

Yes, we snack too. Types of snacks include popcorn, microwave homemade nachos, 2 minute noodles, and lots of fruit. My kids dont like cake, but I did make a healthy slice recently they devoured- that is rare. Snacks are usually savoury, virtualyl mini meals, or fruit. But, they are teens and eat a lot.

Your meal would be considered very "plain fayre" here. Your guest must live off take aways or processed foods.

Love the new pictures!

This is absolutely NOT what I intended. I am very grateful to this family, though I'm afraid I came across wrong because I could not come up with any suggestions when she asked (other than granola bars) and honestly did not know if my kids liked the items she suggested because they haven't had them in many years, if ever.

She said her kids eat cereal for breakfast. I said mine would be ecstatic to get cereal because they really haven't had it from about 8 months now. We cook breakfast to avoid the dairy issue.

For dinner, I told her anything she made would be fine and probably adaptable to the dairy issues my youngest has unless it is a dish that is heavily reliant on dairy. I really don't want to be difficult.

I'm totally aware of that recommendation. Following it makes me very sick because the smaller meals don't keep my sugar high enough to last even an hour. I think my metabolism is too high because it just burns through those smaller meals like I ate nothing. I've since learned that larger meals work better for me.

My kids aren't forbidden from having snacks. If they are hungry, they are allowed to eat. More often, it's me telling them must eat. My daughter tries to skip breakfast often. Today, she only wanted half a sandwich for lunch.

Yep!

I just got off the phone with my mom and we were laughing because of baking. My dc go to missionary kids' camp on Sunday and the kids bring snacks to have in their cabins if they want them. Most kids bring fruit rollups, things like that. 2 years ago when we were particularly strapped for cash, I baked fudge jumbles, cookies, and brownies for my dc to bring as their snacks because I had all the baking stuff and snacky foods here can be expensive!

The next year I was asking them what they would like to bring for snacks and they all said that they wanted me to bake something! :001_huh: For my dc it isn't treat to have home-baked goodies! But, they found that the other kids wanted them so bad they were willing to trade stuff (their expensive snacks, make up, money) for the snacks my dc brought.

I think that a lot of people have lost the art of homemaking and don't take the time to make meals and bake a lot for their families. We don't have a lot of snacks on hand around our house (except fruit and veggies which they eat like crazy) but, about once a week I do bake stuff for them as a treat. People who come to our house comment regularly on the type of meals we eat, which to me are relatively simple, but, to them a real treat.

Because of this, I'm resolved that all 3 of my dc will leave this house knowing how to make a home for themselves and their families. They will be able to follow a recipe, make food from scratch, make a recipe up, and shop for healthy food. It's just really important.

If you spread your carbohydrate intake out throughout the day you do not get these spikes.

You will also have less of a spike if you eat good carbs as opposed to bad carbs. The good carbs break down and release into your system gradually over time, where the bad carbs hit all at once causing the spike and crash roller coaster, which also leads to overeating and weight gain.

You will also have less of a spike if you eat good carbs as opposed to bad carbs. The good carbs break down and release into your system gradually over time, where the bad carbs hit all at once causing the spike and crash roller coaster, which also leads to overeating and weight gain.
:iagree::)

I cook our meals too -- not much processed food or microwaved food. Even if I try to serve something like that, my family can detect the "processedness" of it and don't like the taste.

My kids can have a snack (on the healthier side) around 3:00-3:30.

ETA: After reading more of the previous posts, I will add that our lunch is a little early due to dh's schedule, so the biggest stretch of time between meals is between lunch and dinner.

Edited by profmom