Menu

Is there a 'term' for someone who is not religious ...

There's a neologism "apatheistic" to describe people who don't really have any beliefs and don't care. Although I think the Wiki entry veers more toward atheism and is a little too vehement to reflect the usages of the word that I have encountered elsewhere. An agnostic actively believes that we can't know whether there's a god or gods. And atheist says there absolutely isn't any such thing. An apatheist would think there might be but couldn't really be bothered to care either way.

That doesn't sound exactly like what you're saying though. "Areligious" is probably also not quite what you're looking for, since you describe a certain level of interest...

Perhaps just "eclectic"?

An agnostic actively believes that we can't know whether there's a god or gods. And atheist says there absolutely isn't any such thing.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. People who are agnostic do not know whether there is a higher power or not, they don't necessarily say that it's not possible to know the answer but THEY don't know the answer.

Atheists do not actively believe in a supreme being, but that does not mean they actively 'disbelieve' in a supreme being either. Lots of atheists are agnostic atheists, which means that they don't know whether there is a supreme being or not but they see no reason to believe there IS one.

I say there probably isn't one, so worry about it. :) Even if there was one, I wouldn't worship it.

In response to the OP, I'd ask that person what they'd like to be called, if they need to be called anything at all. Agnostic sounds best, if they aren't religiously active and just don't know. But it's really not necessary to label another person based on religion.

Well that describes me, and after this thread I'd call myself confused :rofl:

Lol, :iagree:

I call myself spiritual. Perhaps eclectic?

Its not at all confusing until you start to try to explain it to people who want a label.

Is there a 'term' for someone who is not religious - but might believe in a higher being or ying-yang ... or a bit or this or that.

I am not talking about non-denominational.

I am trying to find a term other than Atheist.

Thanks!

Atheist would be wrong. That's someone who doesn't believe in a God period. Agnostic would be someone who's not sure but not terribly concerned with the question.

I think your definition implies more then either and agree with those who suggest spiritual.

Spiritual.

:iagree: This is the term I have most often heard people use to describe themselves who have similar beliefs as to what you've described. They may believe there is "something higher" and they may be open to being in touch with it/him/her but aren't part of anything organized. The belief may or may not be particularly important to them. On the other hand, they are not atheist/materialist either.

I live in a townful of "spiritual" people by this definition.

Atheists do not actively believe in a supreme being, but that does not mean they actively 'disbelieve' in a supreme being either. Lots of atheists are agnostic atheists, which means that they don't know whether there is a supreme being or not but they see no reason to believe there IS one.

Yep. My husband would fall under your definition of an agnostic atheist.

But there are Christian humanists and atheist humanists. I think humanist is more of a statement in your belief in humans and their abilities and potential rather then any statement about deities.

:iagree:

I would agree with others who have suggested spiritual as a likely classification. That's how I would describe myself if I were to give the short and sweet answer.