Menu

What are you must have and neatest supply finds?

Things like folders that have extra clips and storage, binders with pouches and such. Whether it is pencils, holders, baskets, anything. Lets see it.

What go me thinking about this was homeschooling6 uses the coolest binders and I thought hey I bet everyone has found something really neat to use. I am always on the lookout for something new and fun to use and organize our stuff.

So, if you don't mind posting your must haves and links to those really neat items please post.

Little things make me happy. I found book rings this year and have used them extensively. It allows me to reuse binders, or bind books that are too thick for the pro-click spines I have.

My pro-click binder is another of my favorite things. Best 100.00 investment so far. Here's my review.

I also got this at IKEA. It's great because the trays slide. I'm a nerd but I think it's cool.

I could not survive without my Desk Apprentice. I have 3 of them - 2 for all of DS's books, workbooks, notebooks, etc. and one with all of my junk. Though they take up a fair amount of room, at least everything looks neat and I'm not constantly jumping up and down looking for this book or that binder.

This is bigger storage, but it is the best I have ever found: IKEA Ivar.

Here are the shelves, cabinets, etc.

Here are the varying uprights (you choose how tall, how many, how to configure, etc.)

I have been buying pieces of this stuff for almost ten years. We have it configured so that DS and I have "desks" next to one another (shelves at the same height), a bazillion book shelves, two cabinets for supplies (science & art) - you name it. I have each shelf designated by subject: science, theology, literature, history, future curricula, art, dvds, record keeping... I have a file box on one. I have binders lined up. You get the picture.

Every time we move, we can re-configure it to fit the space we have available. Now that we've hit high school, and we aren't using such a scattershot approach, half of one unit is being used as an emergency pantry.

I love this stuff. Oh - and it all comes apart and packs FLAT!

a

Just a little thing--Black Warrior pencils. They sharpen beautifully--the wood near the tip is actually silky smooth. They are #2 and write with a nice line. The eraser is PERFECT--an actual Pink eraser (brand name, I think) that doesn't smear at all.

I'm hoping the dollar store has them again in the fall; if it does, I'm buying 20 packs!

They are from A.C.E. Yet, the best picture I have seen of them is no her blog. They are awesome. ( I hope it is alright I post a link to her blog, it really is an awesome blog.) If you scroll down you will find the binders she is using. The back pouch pocket is so cool.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I want to know more about the binders that homeschooling6 uses. Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

Me too!:001_smile:

I love Crayola twistables colored pencils. The leads are nice and bright and don't break easily. I've purchased so many colored pencils only to have them not sharpen well that finding one set that lasts and lasts until the lead truly wears out is wonderful.

I have twistables crayons, too, but my DD doesn't seem to like them as much as the regular kind. I think they're a little harder and take a little more force to color with.

Blank flash cards and book rings. I like the cards because I can use sharpie marker on one side and it doesn't bleed through. I use pencil on the other side. We use flash cards for almost everything.

http://www.amazon.com/Blank-Vocabulary-Cards-Boxed-1000/dp/1556370814/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276438033&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/Acco-Metal-Rings-Diameter-ACC72202/dp/B00008XPLC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1276438273&sr=8-2

Card stock! I have a laminator but I am usually too lazy to pull it out and laminate things, I just use card stock instead for things that need to hold up well. The upside of this is that my children are always thrilled when the finally are allowed to laminate something.

I like clamp binders, another good organizational tool for the lazy. You grab papers or artwork and clamp them in. I save 1 years worth of artwork in one, and use one for a combined portfolio with a few pages from each subject each year and a 1 page write up and pictures of what we did.

http://www.amazon.com/ACCO-Punchless-Spring-Action-0-625-Inch-42529/dp/B001E676TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1276496059&sr=8-1

I also use my office supplies in the kitchen, binder clips are much cheaper than kitchen clips.

I really love my white boards, the make everything more fun, even my older remedial students like them but they are a must have for the young crowd.

This is bigger storage, but it is the best I have ever found: IKEA Ivar.

Every time we move, we can re-configure it to fit the space we have available. Now that we've hit high school, and we aren't using such a scattershot approach, half of one unit is being used as an emergency pantry.

I love this stuff. Oh - and it all comes apart and packs FLAT!

a

That is a big bonus! We have bookshelves that come apart and pack flat, we though they would only last a move or two because they are not substantial, but the packing flat part has made them survive 6 moves so far with only 1 or 2 shelves sustaining damage.

So many things:

The biggest love at our house right now is the Sharpie Pen. I gave them to students for Christmas and as prizes, too, and they loved them. They are perfect for making flashcards.

I use a lot of the White Out tape. I make copies and white out lines I don't want, then copy again.

I keep in-progress projects on clipboards and I keep them in a vertical row of file holders (the ones like they have at the doctor's office for charts) on the wall over the left side of the desk. I label them on the back. I hae six, but I need to put up another row on the other side, as dh took some over for Boy Scouts and Baseball coaching.

We go to Staples and buy binders, pens, pencils, clips, highlighters, pencil bags, etc. in each person's color. I am red/pink, one dd is purple, the other is green/teal, and ds is blue/black.

We use the book rings a lot as well, and the plastic ones, too, from Rainbow Resource (we even tagged our chickens with them, :D.) We have a lot of flashcards (index cards) around here, and they are all on rings.

The printer paper that is one giant sticker is one of my favorite things. I have made felt board animals and people with it, I use it to cut labels to odd sizes.

The giant paper cutter at the Kinko's is awesome. I stop in to use it even when I'm not buying anything. (I do enough business there in having things printed or spiral bound that they don't mind. :001_smile:)

I have the super three hole punch with a comfort grip. I saw it at a friend's house and had to have it!

I'm picky about binders. They have to have D shaped rings, two pockets in each side, and clear plastic to slip a cover into. When they go on sale, we buy a bunch.

We have a lot of three drawer plastic carts, too, in our rec room. I have four of them stacked together (two by two) with the wheels off for science and math supplies. A set of four of the wider ones holds 12 different types of craft supplies for dds (knitting, leatherwork, tatting, quilling, etc.)