Menu

Joy Hakim Science Books/Teacher Guides 50% off

scrapbabe

I just got an email from Smithsonian Books that has published the Joy Hakim science books/teacher guides/student guides. They are getting a new publisher and so are offering a sale. You could get all 3 books, teachers guides, and student guides for 91.85 +tax. There's a lot of information, so if you'd like that information, send me an email and I'll send you the email from Smithsonian Books, with the link to purchase.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Ooh! These are on my list! I'd love the link, please!

Thank you.

(edited because my first post read "I'd love the kink". Not something I want discussed on the boards this afternoon.)

:lol:

I'm just posting the email in it's entirety here.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Smithsonian Books recently changed to a new publisher (Random House) that distributes our titles including Joy Hakim's The Story of Science series, and we have a special offer to share with you on The Story of Science books and teacher materials.

The discount is 50% off the retail price of The Story of Science books (Aristotle Leads the Way, Newton at the Center and Einstein Adds a New Dimension) and guides with free shipping. This is a limited time offer, and there can only be one order of each book and guide per teacher.

Please follow the link below take advantage of this offer:

https://selfservice.randomhouse.biz/bizcf/acmart/index.cfm

Please scroll down for ordering instructions and call or email me with any questions. Please feel free to share this email with your colleagues.

You can find more information on the series including a sample chapter from each book at:

http://smithsonianbooks.com/usersection/Default.aspx?tab=joy&content=Aristotle&fvalue=Aristotle

http://smithsonianbooks.com/usersection/Default.aspx?tab=joy&content=Newton&fvalue=Newton

http://smithsonianbooks.com/usersection/Default.aspx?tab=joy&content=Einstein&fvalue=Einstein

Here you can find your state's Standards of Learning Evaluation Results for The Story of Science series:

http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/db/search/detail.aspx?museumid=-1&supplierid=-1&pamphletcategoryid=-1&statusid=-1&mediaid=-1&KEYWORD=hakim+&gradeid=-1&categoryid=-1

Best regards,

Laura

Laura Slook, Sales & Marketing Manager

for The Story of Science

Smithsonian Books

600 Maryland Ave SW

Washington, DC 20016

P (414) 217-2422

lauraslook@comcast.net

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 1: Enter the ISBN # for each book separately starting with Aristotle Leads the Way in the keyword search box and hit the search button. Once you hit search it will prefill all of the information with the discount. Please do the same for the Newton and Einstein books.

Aristotle Leads the Way ISBN # 9781588341600

Newton at the Center ISBN # 9781588341617

Einstein Adds a New Dimension ISBN # 9781588341624

For anyone interested in ordering the Teacher Guides the ISBNs are:

Aristotle Leads the Way Teacher Guide ISBN # 9781588342515

Newton at the Center Teacher Guide ISBN # 9781588342522

Student Guide ISBNs are:

Aristotle Leads the Way Student Guide ISBN # 9781588342546

Newton at the Center Student Guide ISBN # 9781588342553

Keyword search (Title, Author or ISBN):

NOTE: ISBNs can be entered in the form below with or without the dashes.

Course Name Enrollment ISBN Book Title Format Retail

Price Exam

Fee

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 2: Confirm that all three books appear and show a total cost of $40.41 plus tax as they do below. If you order the books and the Teacher Guides your total will be $85.35 plus tax. And adding on the Student Guides your total will be $91.35 plus tax:

Course Name Enrollment ISBN Book Title Format Retail

Price Exam

Fee

Total: $40.41

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Step 3: Please continue filling out the next three sections: Billing Information, Shipping Information and Submission Information and click the submit order button to complete your transaction.

Um, when I do this the normal price comes up. I only want the TM & SM for Newton. Will this only work if I order everything? Sorry, it is just confusing. :confused:

Thanks though! I hope I can figure out how it works.

edit: DOH my browser wasn't opened all the way. :) Got it.

Edited by radiobrain

Any news on when they will publish the Student and Teacher guides for Einstein?

Don't know the answer to this. But there's a phone number and email address of the representative posted at the end of the email. If you find out, let us all know.:001_smile:

I just got an email from Smithsonian Books that has published the Joy Hakim science books/teacher guides/student guides. They are getting a new publisher and so are offering a sale. You could get all 3 books, teachers guides, and student guides for 91.85 +tax. There's a lot of information, so if you'd like that information, send me an email and I'll send you the email from Smithsonian Books, with the link to purchase.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Oh boy - it's my lucky day! Thank you so much for sharing this. :001_smile:

Is this Legit?

Although it is a great deal, I am little leary of giving away my credit card number to a random checkout website that isn't linked to anything else, in addition the email address to inquire was a personal email account and the phone went unanswered...

Any one have experience doing it this way before?

I would be leary too, but I sought her out from the Smithsonian website to ask a question about a link to the samples. So she has since put me on her mailing list. I can call tomorrow and see if it's legitimate. I am using a credit card (not debit) that is a gift card so they can't rack up a bill. But I'm always cautious about that no matter where I order from. If it had just been a random email I would have not sent it along.

Smiles,

Shalynn

Any news on when they will publish the Student and Teacher guides for Einstein?

The National Science Teachers Association has developed The Story of Science Classroom Companion for Einstein Adds a New Dimension. One for teachers, one for students.

Found this on Joy Hakim's website.

http://www.joyhakim.com/PDF/EinsteinThe%20Fission%20Vision%20Teacher%20and%20Student%20Editions.pdf

I was a little concerned about whether it was legit or not, also, but there are a couple of other things that I was uncomfortable with as well (didn't keep me from ordering ;), but I am concerned.)

Everything on the checkout page says that this is to order an "examination copy". For every title, I was required to enter a course name (I put "History of Science") and number of students enrolled (I said 2). In the shipping info., I had to list a school name (I used our homeschool name we invented) and also a department (I put "homeschool"). I assumed this was all a technicality. However, before clicking on "place order", I had to initial a statement that I am a K-12 teacher in an educational institution. OK, sure, whatever. Once the order was placed, a disclaimer came up that it can take 2-4 weeks for delivery, and that orders may be "verified". So, I am wondering if, once they realize we are homeschoolers, they will cancel our orders?

My other concern, is that shipping costs were not listed anywhere. Normally, they would have at least shown up on the final invoice, but nothing. Again, I had to agree to pay "the cost of the items, plus any fees associated with fulfilling the order" or something similar. So, now I am afraid that they could tack on so much in shipping that it could end up costing more than if I had paid normal price at Amazon. How and when will I found out how much shipping and handling is? In a month when I receive the books?

As I said, I already placed my order, but if anyone has any answers to these questions, I would like to hear them :bigear:.

*glare* I'd successfully not purchased anything homeschooling related for almost two weeks.

Oh, and thanks. :)

Okay, ladies, here's the scoop. I'm only telling you what I have found out and what I know... and hope you will hold me blameless.

I called Random House today and asked about the email. She said that since it came from Smithsonian she didn't know, but that it was true that Random House was now distributing the Joy Hakim Books. I told her what the email said, and told her what the link was (the website address) and she said she thought it was legitimate. I did fax Smithsonian to ask and left a message on the phone but haven't heard back from them.

As far as shipping... the original email said that the shipping was free. They shouldn't be charging you any shipping.

And as far as it being okay for homeschoolers to purchase... I asked the person (Laura Slook) who sent the original email if I could send the offer to other homeschoolers. Her response was "absolutely, it's a great deal". So she knows we aren't accredited schools.

So I guess you have to decide for yourself whether or not you feel comfortable ordering. I haven't been able to find anything that leads me to believe it is not legitimate.

Hope that helps!

Smiles,

Shalynn

OT - I got the impression that the study guides were for upper elementary ages. Am I correct (I didn't order those and now I am wondering if I should regret it)?

Don't know the answer - my assumption was upper elementary. Did you look at the samples?

Also, for everyone else, I talked with the rep at Smithsonian who said that it was okay for home schoolers to order, despite having to initial that you are an accredited school. She said when they switched to Random House that Random House only had the one form to use for discounts, so they had to use what they had. She assured me that many homeschooling orders had come through and were processed already.

Smiles,

Shalynn

OT - I got the impression that the study guides were for upper elementary ages. Am I correct (I didn't order those and now I am wondering if I should regret it)?

I have the guides for the first book, and the TG says the lessons meet the National Science Education Standards, grades 5-8, and Benchmarks for Science Literacy, Grades 6-8, and that seems to be about right.

For what it's worth, we have not used them yet, but I like what I have seen so far of the Aristotle guide and ordered the Newton book and guides.

Terri

My books arrived this afternoon.

They are amazing!!!

The books have beautiful hardcover books with great pictures.

I was amazed at how thick they all are.

The guides are extensive.

The workbooks look great.

I look forward to using them and hearing how others use them.

Sarah

My books arrived this afternoon.

They are amazing!!!

I thought mine might be here after hearing a big thump on the porch, but it was just he Rainbow Resources catalogue. :lol:

Thank you for letting us know about this offer. I ordered everything available today, and the offer was still good. I wonder how many days it'll take to get my books.

Cindy

You're welcome. I'm glad the offer is still good, my sister wants in too.

Shalynn

do you think a very science-y, story loving upcoming 3rd grader would like these books? Or should I wait?...or should i just buy them and hold onto them as they're such a good deal? lol......

I'd think they're a little much for an upcoming 3rd grader. My boys will be in 5th and 8th next year. I think that's just about right. It is a great deal, so buying now isn't a bad idea. I bought my Hakim books years ago before we could really use them and I'm excited to buy the teacher's books now so we can finally start to use them. I don't generally buy years in advance unless it's a deal I can't pass up and I'm absolutely certain it's something we will want to use later.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I got mine yesterday too! All looks great. :)

Planning to use them w/highly accelerated 4th grader and pulling a 1st grader along for the ride. We'll see how it goes! Not worried about the 4th grader, but I'm hoping not to do another full science curric. for the 1st grader.

My science-minded fourth grader is going to love this series. And I am impressed with the turnkey Teacher and Student quest guides -- comprehensive, multidisciplinary, easy-to-follow units built around the Aristotle and Newton Hakim chapters. Lesson plans? Check!

Aristotle would be great to use in conjunction with (or shortly following) the ancient history year. Our history group used SOTW1 as a spine this past year, so the historical groundwork is laid.

Thanks again for the heads up on this sale, Scrapbabe!

KC