Menu

What are some good LIGHT reads for mom?

I don't need exactly twaddle type reading but do want something very light, otherwise known as more "no think" books by my friends.

I enjoy a lot of Christian fiction but would love to explore non Christian fiction and some non-fiction stuff as long as it is more G or PG rated. So often I have found a book that looks good but once I get started there is so much language or X rated scenes that I end up returning the book.

Got any great ideas for me?

Hi Ottakee,

What are your interests? Dh and I love the Patrick McManus outdoor humor books, "Real Ponies Don't go Oink" is our favorite. But, my dad is an original mountain man and my mil is a crazy woods woman so we kind of relate to the stories. His stuff is really rated pg and a lot of it is g, just an occasional mild profanity, some slang, and a rare reference to adolescent infatuation and failed attempts at dating/necking.

I enjoy political humor when I need something light, so have a copy of Dave Barry's, "History of the Millenium" around here plus since I indulge my obsession with quilting, I have read a couple of quilting mysteries that are completely mild but entertaining. I will try to find out the name of the author tomorrow when I see my dear friend who loaned me the books this past winter. I returned them without writing down any pertinent info.

My grandmother absolutely loved the cat mystery books. I can't remember that author's name but there are about 20 of these now and apparently, the cat is quite amusing.

Faith

I have read most of the Patrick McManus books and loved those.

I enjoy:

vet stories

old people stories---the funny things of life

Amish

horses

foster care/adoption stuff---nothing heavy or depressing though

books with a medical/country doctor/midwife theme

books set in the 1800s, esp. in the west

Native American stories

farm/animal stories

VERY light mysteries (like the Joanne Fluke Cookies shop ones)

I know there are many great books out there but right now I like to just relax with a good light reading book at night.

I remember reading one series about a widow lady living in a retirement home and her escapades with other "inmates" as she called them.

I love anything by the Christian fiction writer Karen Kingsbury. She has lots of books and they are all very entertaining and uplifting.

Venturing out of the Chrisitian fiction realm, I enjoyed reading the Twilight series. And I just currently finished reading The Hunger Games and have moved onto the second in that series called Catching Fire. The Hunger Games was an excellent book!

I don't need exactly twaddle type reading but do want something very light, otherwise known as more "no think" books by my friends.

I enjoy a lot of Christian fiction but would love to explore non Christian fiction and some non-fiction stuff as long as it is more G or PG rated. So often I have found a book that looks good but once I get started there is so much language or X rated scenes that I end up returning the book.

Got any great ideas for me?

It is an allegory of the story of the Biblical prophet Hosea, but it's set in the Old West. It's not at all what I expected, but it is a very good read. EK (my 15yo dd) read it and insisted that I read it so we could talk about it. :D

Number One Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith (someone else mentioned it too) - it's a very sweet series about a female detective in Botswana. There is definitely some immorality that Mma Ramotswe encounters in her investigations (mostly of cheating husbands, beauty contests, minor thefts, etc.) but I think anyone reading from a Christian perspective would really appreciate Mma Ramotswe's strong sense of values.

Another one I just read is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. A sweet romance in post-war England told through letters. It tackles some dark topics about the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands, but the book itself comes off pretty light because it's very focused on the cast of quirky characters. Nothing that I can imagine offhand that would offend - the time period alone takes one back to a very different style of courtship and different expectations about relationships.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I like Grace Livingston Hill books. Francine Rivers books are awesome! Terri Blackstock can be a little scary. I just read Private Justice, it was free on my Kindle. I didn't know what it was about, just started reading. My ds was on duty at the Fire Station. Turns out this book is about a serial killer who is killing Fire Fighter's Wives!! Once I found that out, it was like 10pm and I couldn't put it down I had to finish it and get to the happy ending so I would feel a little safer! :tongue_smilie:

I love Amish books as well. Wanda Brunstetter, Beverly Lewis and Cindy Woodsmall are some of my favorite authors about Amish.

I loved these!

Another one I just read is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. A sweet romance in post-war England told through letters. It tackles some dark topics about the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands, but the book itself comes off pretty light because it's very focused on the cast of quirky characters. Nothing that I can imagine offhand that would offend - the time period alone takes one back to a very different style of courtship and different expectations about relationships.

Just finished this one and it was very good!

Guest Katia

I love the Marjorie McClelland mysteries by Amy Patricia Meade. They are set in the '30s and are fun and 'clean'. Good mystery and romance.

They aren't really 'light' reading, but the Mary Russell novels by Laurie R. King are well written and thought provoking. Besides, I love how she has made Sherlock Holmes so.....human and real.

The Mrs. Pollifax series byDorothy Gilman simply can not be beat. They are the best!!

And, the Mitford series by Jan Karon has been mentioned several times, but if you haven't read them, you really should, so I'm adding my vote for those as well.