Menu

Are these parents stupid or do I have a dirty mind?

OMG!!! I'm really voting for stupid too!

I had to google.

"Cream on the inside, cream on the outside" repeated ad nauseum.

Yuck.

For one thing it's a stupid song: Grammar is awful, a HORRIBLE word used that starts with the letter 'n', just completely inappropriate in so many ways!! :001_huh:

(And I'm a very liberal atheist!!!!) :tongue_smilie:

UGH! The teachers/parents are probably just clueless. I'd have a huge, huge, hissy fit with the folks who run the class. Even if it wasn't my kid! If they didn't immediately yank to music and show huge regret, that'd be the last time I darkened the door of the studio.

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

It's the innuendo. The metaphors. It says car paint, but has a double meaning.

??

No need to answer! I'm not going to continue to respond for several reasons not even worth explaining! I told my self to leave it alone and I just didn't so the responses I get are my own fault! Again no need to respond I'm not going to be following this thread!:001_smile:

:iagree: The style of dance is not exactly modest...

"Not exactly modest" is putting it mildly. It is a highly sexualized form of dance when preformed properly. I don't even care for them to listen to the so called "clean" rap or hip-hop music.

I was not a fan of country music growing up, but I am very glad my mother steared my girls in that direction.:D

??

No need to answer! I'm not going to continue to respond for several reasons not even worth explaining! I told my self to leave it alone and I just didn't so the responses I get are my own fault! Again no need to respond I'm not going to be following this thread!:001_smile:

I am only responding to say I don't get it either. I think it is stretching (much like Puff the Magic Dragon.) I don't like hip hop, but this was pretty clean compared to some other stuff I have heard! (My oldest made a "bass" CD for a huge speaker he had and the words were BAD!:lol:)

ETA: I was SHOCKED at the lyrics for Greased Lightening - I never knew that is what he said!

Edited by Renee in FL

??

I don't see any reason to be upset. If you don't see any innuendo, no problem. Everyone sees things differently. It's all good. Your opinion is as welcome as anyone else's.

Seems it's not enough to simply read the lyrics. One must also be a student of the slang of popular culture, to understand what this phrase apparently implies.

Edited by AuntieM

I am only responding to say I don't get it either. I think it is stretching (much like Puff the Magic Dragon.) I don't like hip hop, but this was pretty clean compared to some other stuff I have heard! (My oldest made a "bass" CD for a huge speaker he had and the words were BAD!:lol:)

ETA: I was SHOCKED at the lyrics for Greased Lightening - I never knew that is what he said!

I'm with you guys. It's about tricking out a car. It's a bit of a reach to read innuendo or double meaning into that. I'd have no problem with my kids listening to it personally. I take Puff The Magic Dragon at face value, too, and don't think that's about drugs at all. But to each his or her own.

My little one was about 5 and was in the big ballet recital one year at a large HS in MD. It included Ballet and hip hop and Irish tap and Jazz.

Some of the High School'ers decided to do a rather suggestive dance to "You Make Me Sick" by Pink and apparently it got past the instructors and their parents. (The album has a parental advisory notice on it...) There was absolutely no guessing required as to what the song was about. ??

I don't get it.

We joined another Ballet class that did Nutcracker every year. Much safer.

:)

Kim

Edited by titianmom

No, I wouldn't have thought to google it. I'm 39 & literally just found out last year that Cyndi Lauper's "she bop" meant something bad. I liked not knowing personally. The nice thing about songs is despite the writer's intent, they can sometimes still be open for interpretation.

Susan

Respectfully, female masturbation = something bad?

Not that I think it needs to be graphically included in pop songs, but bad?

Not that the lyrics are great:

We-hell-I see them every night in tight blue jeans -

In the pages of a blue boy magazine

Hey I've been thinking of a new sensation

I'm picking up - good vibration -

Oop - she bop

Do I wanna go out with a lion's roar

Huh, yea, I wanna go south n get me some more

Hey, they say that a stitch in time saves nine

They say I better stop - or I'll go blind

Oop - she bop - she bop

She bop--he bop--a--we bop

I bop--you bop--a--they bop

Be bop--be bop--a--lu--she bop,

I hope He will understand

She bop--he bop--a--we bop

I bop--you bop--a--they bop

Be bop--be bop--a--lu--she bop,

Oo--oo--she--do--she bop--she bop

(whistle along here)...

Hey, hey - they say I better get a chaperone

Because I can't stop messin' with the danger zone

No, I won't worry, and I won't fret

Ain't no law against it yet

Oop - she bop - she bop

She bop - he bop - we bop...

The teacher probably doesn't even know -- saw "ice cream" and figured it was okay or something.

Kids are often happily oblivious, though. I can remember working very hard on a dance routine to a song called "Let's Get Physical" when I was little -- I thought she wanted to do aerobics. My mom did the right thing by simply letting me think that, but I'm sure she was cringing on the inside when the singer went into lines like "let me hear your body talk to me" and such. I still laugh at myself when I think of that -- I was soooo sheltered!

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade our school choir sang "Horse With No Name." After we performed for our parents they were shocked and the choir director got in big trouble. None of us kids could ever understand why. :)

So hopefully all those little girls are completely clueless, too.

I didn't have to google because the title screams at me that it's inappropriate. Then again, that is what I expect from hip hop music anyway.

When my oldest was in 6th grade she joined the cheerleading squad. At the end of the season, they did a dance routine to a medley of 80s hair band heavy metal songs. The music started with a bit of Motley Crue's Girls, Girls, Girls. I was so angry.....that song is about visiting strip clubs and is apparently often played in strip clubs. I was the ONLY parent who complained. The coach said to me "well, I understand if you want to pull her from the team" The part of the song that they played did not specifically mention anything inappropriate but I still felt it should not have been used at all.

I had to let her do it because we had just moved here and she was so desperate to not be embarrassed. I let her stay but made sure she knew that she was never going to be allowed to listen to the full version of those songs.

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade our school choir sang "Horse With No Name." After we performed for our parents they were shocked and the choir director got in big trouble. None of us kids could ever understand why. :)

So hopefully all those little girls are completely clueless, too.

Now that one, I don't get. Off to google "Horse with No Name"

I googled the song to and only saw references to "tricking out" a car...did I miss some thing?

There are two versions of this song that I have seen no one mention. One by Dorrough Music (with is indeed about a car) and one my Lil' Wayne (which indeed is not about a car). I am assuming the instructor was using the Dorrough Music one since there was mention of a car. I don't see how that would be harmful to a child.

:001_huh: If thats the case then everything can have double meaning.

:iagree: I have heard the Puff innuendos...I still like the song. :D

:iagree: O.M.G. so was I!!! I love the movie Grease too!!! /sigh I won't ever be able to watch it again....

Ok I looked up the lyrics to She Bop...don't get the controversy there. If it is the "down south" line...how do we know what she is talking about? I figured it meant geographically since we know the sough can breed some nice looking men :001_smile: (Thinking country music singers here:drool::D)

Horse with no name? LOVE that song. I see nothing in that song that could be construed as anything other than what the lyrics talk about...being through "deserts" on a horse with no name.

It really is all a matter of perspective, however, we also need o be objective. Sometimes a song is just a song. Why does there have to be secret meanings and messages? I take all music at face value until the artist singing it or the writer of the song says otherwise.

:001_huh: If thats the case then everything can have double meaning.

Many things certainly can, and it can be subjective. If a person feels lyrics are suggestive, or if the artist admits innuendo was intended, people just exercise there choice whether or not to listen to it. No problem. To each his/her own. :001_smile:

One or two phrases, taken out of context would not concern me personally; but when the majority of the song seems suggestive, I tune it literally out.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Horse with No Name...Check this out...

http://www.accessbackstage.com/america/song/song005.htm

Here is the excerpt about the song..

"A tune as famous as this one deserves a detailed explanation, though Bunnell suggests that its meaning has evolved over time: "I was messing around with some open tunings--I tuned the A string way down to an E, and I found this little chord, and I just moved my two fingers back and forth, and the entire song came from basically three chords. I wanted to capture the imagery of the desert, because I was sitting in this room in England, and it was rainy. The rain was starting to get to us, and I wanted to capture the desert and the heat and the dryness."

The imagery came from Dewey's childhood: "I had spent a good deal of time poking around in the high desert with my brother when we lived at Vandenberg Air Force Base [in California]. And we'd drive through Arizona and New Mexico. I loved the cactus and the heat. I was trying to capture the sights and sounds of the desert, and there was an environmental message at the end. But it's grown to mean more for me. I see now that this anonymous horse was a vehicle to get me away from all the confusion and chaos of life to a peaceful, quiet place."

No drugs mentioned! Yay! I like this song....even more now. I grew up at Vandenberg myself :) So I know the area he is talking about! It also reminds me of my Dad...he used to listen to this song all the time when I was a kid!