Menu

I have developed a taste for...

Typically, I grate a head of cabbage on the side of the box grater with the large holes, add some Duke's mayonnaise (has no sugar--important for my tastes :)), about a capful of white vinegar, salt, fresh ground black pepper and celery seed. I am, however, often lazy and get the precut coleslaw mix and do the above to it. I know a lot of folks put in a pinch of sugar, but I don't care for it that way.

This is the kind I eat on hamburgers and hotdogs done "all the way" ---mustard, chili, slaw and onions (though I usually leave off the onion and add cheese, at least to the hamburgers). I think I was in college before I realized people actually put lettuce, tomato and mayo on hamburgers.

There's also BBQ slaw, which is vinegar-based and great on a BBQ sandwich (around here that means pulled pork in a vinegar-based sauce;)). I haven't made it, but the picture here looks right http://www.slashfood.com/2009/01/03/north-carolina-bbq-slaw/

Now there's a restaurant here that makes an odd hybrid slaw that a lot of folks like (they sell it commercially in some of the grocery stores). It's like a mix of hamburger/hotdog toppings and soupier

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1643,156181-233207,00.html claims to be like it (Ro's is the restaurant). I've tried the commercial version and it's okay, but I am more of a purist I suppose (and Ro's is from a county or two over, so it's not what I grew up with;)).

:thumbup:A vote for the mayo based stuff! I am the only one I know IRL that likes it, though. When we go out for dinner and the meal comes with the little cup of it on the side, the whole family practically flings it off their plate and over to mine.

Homemade aioli is the food of the gods. Toss that with cabbage and I 'm in. Mayonnaise is simply yucky.

Now I'd agree with you regarding the vast majority of commercial mayo, because it includes sugar. I also really don't care for commercially made coleslaw for that reason.

:thumbup:A vote for the mayo based stuff! I am the only one I know IRL that likes it, though. When we go out for dinner and the meal comes with the little cup of it on the side, the whole family practically flings it off their plate and over to mine.

Same here. :laugh:

I have just started really liking it too. I found a recipe I liked that was a vinegar based one. Dh didn't much care for it since he prefers mayo based slaw (I like both). So I played around with my recipe and left out the sugar and added miracle whip to it. Turns out we both LOVED it.

Ok, I am so new to this, that I didn't know there was a no mayo type and considered sugar in it a necessity-although a friend says she uses honey-I need to try that.

I think it's regional. Where I live it would be sacrilege to use oil and vinegar. But I know in the middle to southern states, it's more expected.

Kind of like with barbecue sauce or chili recipes ;).

But, don't they actually use some sort of sweetener in all coleslaw?

What, you mean everyone doesn't love coleslaw? :svengo:

This is my favorite dressing. http://www.marzetti.com/products/marzetti/detail.php?bc=34&cid=1&pid=188

All my life I hated cooked spinach. I couldn't even stand the smell of it when my husband made it. Then a friend of ours said she likes it if you use fresh baby spinach, heat olive oil and crushed garlic in a skillet, and add the spinach just long enough to wilt it. We tried it, and I like it fine. It's nothing like that frozen stuff!

coleslaw.

This is so funny! I usually hate coleslaw, but the other day I just WANTED it. So I bought fresh shredded cabbage and a jar of coleslaw dressing. It turns out I love it when it's fresh and crunchy, not so much when it's all soggy.

I'm adding this to my list of things I used to dislike and now like along with balsamic vinegar, blue cheese dressing and cottage cheese.

Ok, I am so new to this, that I didn't know there was a no mayo type and considered sugar in it a necessity-although a friend says she uses honey-I need to try that.

Mmmm... cole slaw with honey is GOOD. I thought my mil had the best cole slaw ever, so she gave me her recipe. Chopped cabbage, shredded carrot, mayo, and sugar. No proportions, mind you - adjust to taste. I changed the sugar to honey. It is SOOOO much better! Even my mil likes it better!

I love coleslaw too !

It is one of life's little pleasures for me. :001_smile:

I am ashamed to admit it, but my favorite of all coleslaw is not homemade or anything fancy, I love, love, love KFC's coleslaw. So much in fact, I have been known to be very obsessed with it throughout several of my pregnancies.

My husband had to make many a late night run to calm my coleslaw cravings. :lol:

That could be why I gained so much weight with my last two babies. :glare:

I think it's regional. Where I live it would be sacrilege to use oil and vinegar. But I know in the middle to southern states, it's more expected.

Kind of like with barbecue sauce or chili recipes ;).

But, don't they actually use some sort of sweetener in all coleslaw?

"They" may, but my mother never did (and consequently I never have);). Just cabbage, mayo with no sugar, salt, pepper, white vinegar (I do add celery seed as my innovation to the recipe). I realize other parts of the country may not be as blessed as we are to have access to that epitome of mayonnaise brands, containing no sugar or sweetener at all (at least in its regular form)---Duke's.:D

As to the southern states, at least in our area of NC, as I said it's both, and each has a specific purpose. You'll get bbq slaw (vinegar based) on your bbq sandwich or as a side and you'll get regular slaw (mayo based) on your hamburger, hotdog or as a side to go along with your calabash shrimp or salt and pepper flounder at the fish camp--at least at local places.;) The local older restaurants are more likely to make it on site and use the "proper" mayo for regular slaw than serve something premade from a tub. :001_smile:

Now, admittedly, especially in chain restaurants and in grocery stores, the best you can hope for is to find some that is made with the least amount of sweetener. You'll even find some of those "furrin" "bbq" chains (the ones that serve barbecued beef or chicken and call it just bbq---*very* different dishes) may be even so misguided as to put mayo-based slaw on a bbq sandwich. Sacrilege!

And I have to say....honey???.....*Miracle Whip*:ack2:???!!!!

My father-in-law (who's from Florida and whose mother puts sugar in her coleslaw) likes it, but no thanks!

Edited by KarenNC

I love coleslaw too !

It is one of life's little pleasures for me. :001_smile:

I am ashamed to admit it, but my favorite of all coleslaw is not homemade or anything fancy, I love, love, love KFC's coleslaw. So much in fact, I have been known to be very obsessed with it throughout several of my pregnancies.

My husband had to make many a late night run to calm my coleslaw cravings. :lol:

That could be why I gained so much weight with my last two babies. :glare:

I didn't crave it while pregnant, but I really like KFC coleslaw. Oddly, I also love Captain D's even though the two seem so different.

I can eat cabbage just straight, so I guess I could eat almost any.

This is the recipe I use except I replace the buttermilk with sour cream. EVERYONE in my family thinks it's BETTER then KFC and that's saying a lot since KFC is the best cole slaw ever!

That sounds good. I'll try it next time.

What about that "Asian" colesaw, with that clear dressing? Mmmm.

Oh, now *that's* a different story and *very* good, but it's a new innovation in these parts.;) And in that, the sweetness is integral to the recipe and I wouldn't change it.

[quote name=KarenNC;1707625 I realize other parts of the country may not be as blessed as we are to have access to that epitome of mayonnaise brands' date=' containing no sugar or sweetener at all (at least in its regular form)---Duke's.:D

QUOTE]

Yep, people in this state know their coleslaw, and the Barbeque discussion is a whole 'nother thing!

I make the dressing by proportion based on how "wet" we want the slaw.

1/4 sugar

1/4 rice wine vinegar

1/4 mayo - sometimes homemade but most often Dukes

1-2 TBS celery seed

The slaw:

Cabbage - really try to use Nappa or Savoy that big round head has a more bitter taste

Carrots - the bag of matchstick ones chopped up a little more. worth it to me to not grate carrots, also doesn't turn the dressing a funky orange from carrot juice

Vidalea Onion - chopped

Cilantro - not too much

Always Something Salty and crunchy - this has been everything from dry roasted peanuts (divine) to roasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

Sometimes Something Sweet - this week it was dried cranberries, yummy!

This is another great recipe for non-mayo loving, cabbage lovers:

2 T. oil

1/2 t. mustard seeds

1/2 t. cumin seeds

1/2 t. kosher salt

Heat seeds in oil until they begin to pop. Drizzle oil/spice blend along with 3 T fresh lime and toss:

3 cup cabbage

1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts (see obsession above)

1 chopped green chili pepper

1/4 cup chopped cilantro (ditto)

(from REI.com, long ago)

Edited by bookfiend
because I always miss something!