Menu

The Case of the Disappearing Eyebrows

So recently I've realized that half of my eyebrows have "disappeared". Well, they're still there, you just can't see them because the color seems to have gone out of them. I do not want to look like one of those old women who have a permanently surprised eyebrow line penciled heavily on their forehead. So how do I discretely get some "eyebrows" back?

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

So I use a brown eyeshadow?

Yes. Something close to the color of your remaining brows. make sure it's a matte shadow, nothing pearl or frosted.

You might want to check at a Rite Aid or Walgreens--I know you can return cosmetics at one of the two--in case you need to try a couple to get the right color.

Yup, same here. I use Bare Minerals eyebrow powder and a little brush to ever-so-gently add color and shape to my disappearing eyebrows. I also use clear brush-on stuff that sets the color and keeps those eyebrows in place, 'cuz even though they're not very dark, there are a few that want to stick out in random places.

If you're looking for a more permanent solution, you could have your eyebrows tattooed. A friend of mine had that done (her natural eyebrows were apparently virtually non-existant) - I had known her for years before she told me and I never noticed. They looked quite natural...

So recently I've realized that half of my eyebrows have "disappeared".

I could lend you some of mine. As my dad got older, his eyebrows started getting long, crazy and bushy, and went half-gray when his hair didn't. Let's just say I tend to take after my dad and I'm worried about what the future holds. I've started to get a few stray crazies. :glare:

Well how-dee-doo, I am in good company! Jean, mine started going gray about 2 years ago and now they are about sixty per cent white. I found that Mary Kay has an eyebrow pencil for blondes that is a perfect natural cover. I apply it then go over it with a brush (like a toothbrush, not an artist's brush) to blend it in. The color is nice, not so dark that it looks like pencil but dark enough to define my eye space. My eyebrows are still thick, they are just - as you say - somewhat invisible these days.

I am curious about the minerals others have mentioned. I would be afraid that would wear off.

Anyway, you are not alone!

ETA - I almost forgot that I actually discussed this with my hair gal and she said that there is eyebrow tinting and that many women opt for that. I've considered giving that a go.

Edited by AuntieM

If you're looking for a more permanent solution, you could have your eyebrows tattooed. A friend of mine had that done (her natural eyebrows were apparently virtually non-existant) - I had known her for years before she told me and I never noticed. They looked quite natural...

Make sure, though, that you find someone who can show you pictures of clients years after having it done.

My MIL did this several years ago, and now her brows have faded into a weird brownish-green color. It looks awful! And even when she tries to touch them up with makeup, they still look very weird. I would definitely consider this a last resort.

While thyroid disease frequently causes general hair loss from the hair on the head, a unique and characteristic symptom of hypothyroidism is loss of the hair on the outer edge of the eyebrows. General loss of body hair from areas other than the head can also be seen in thyroid disease.

source I just read this in a medical journal last week, but I'm not awake enough to find it, so you get about.com

As to "Adrenal Fatigue":

Adrenal fatigue is a term applied to a collection of nonspecific symptoms, such as body aches, fatigue, nervousness, sleep disturbances and digestive problems. The term often shows up in popular health books and on alternative medicine Web sites, but it isn't an accepted medical diagnosis.
Mayo Clinic

There is, however, the much more dangerous Addison's Disease:

Addison's disease is a disorder that results when your body produces insufficient amounts of certain hormones produced by your adrenal glands. In Addison's disease, your adrenal glands produce too little cortisol, and often insufficient levels of aldosterone as well.

and Secondary Addison's Disease.

Secondary adrenal insufficiency is adrenal hypofunction due to a lack of ACTH. Symptoms are the same as for Addison's disease, but there is usually less hypovolemia (see Adrenal Disorders: Symptoms and Signs). Diagnosis is clinical and by laboratory findings, including low plasma ACTH with low plasma cortisol. Treatment depends on the cause but generally includes hydrocortisone.

HTH

a

source I just read this in a medical journal last week, but I'm not awake enough to find it, so you get about.com

As to "Adrenal Fatigue":

Mayo Clinic

There is, however, the much more dangerous Addison's Disease:

and Secondary Addison's Disease.

HTH

a

I am taking thyroid medicine for my hypothyroidism. With the medicine my thyroid levels show as normal. Would my eyebrows still be affected?

Re. adrenal fatigue. My test results (from a combination of 3 different tests) show zero cortisol at certain times of the day. They also show other metabolic markers (low sodium for ex.) that explain my severe fatigue. But I do not have all the symptoms/test results for Addison's. I don't care if my "adrenal fatigue" is recognized by the Mayo clinic as long as my Dr. recognizes that I can hardly get out of bed some days and helps me to find the reason behind it.

Well how-dee-doo, I am in good company! Jean, mine started going gray about 2 years ago and now they are about sixty per cent white. I found that Mary Kay has an eyebrow pencil for blondes that is a perfect natural cover. I apply it then go over it with a brush (like a toothbrush, not an artist's brush) to blend it in. The color is nice, not so dark that it looks like pencil but dark enough to define my eye space. My eyebrows are still thick, they are just - as you say - somewhat invisible these days.

ditto! MK's is the best I've found.

Have you looked into why your eyebrows are disappearing? This is a very common symptom of low thyroid (hypothyroidism). Especially if it's the outer edges that have disappeared.

As for the fix. I agree Mary Kay brow pencils are great. I sell MK and that is what I use for mine, there is even an auburn one which makes me giddy since it's hard to find.

So recently I've realized that half of my eyebrows have "disappeared". Well, they're still there, you just can't see them because the color seems to have gone out of them. I do not want to look like one of those old women who have a permanently surprised eyebrow line penciled heavily on their forehead. So how do I discretely get some "eyebrows" back?

You are hilarious.

My eyebrow hairs look lighter than they used to, so after reading this thread I decided to lightly use mascara on them. Gee, I look younger. That's all.:D

I could lend you some of mine. As my dad got older, his eyebrows started getting long, crazy and bushy, and went half-gray when his hair didn't. Let's just say I tend to take after my dad and I'm worried about what the future holds. I've started to get a few stray crazies. :glare:

Mine have done the same thing---they are growing wild and thicker!!:confused:

Jean, where are your free T3 and free T4 in the reference ranges? Are they "low normal" or solidly within the reference ranges?

Sometimes TSH can be in the (so-called) normal range even when you are technically still hypo.

And even if your free T3 and free T4 look fine, some would want to look at reverse T3 as well before concluding that treatment is adequate.

Edited by jplain