Menu

Kids movies with sickness or death in them

Old Yeller and Lion King? I'll have to think on that one some more!

ETA: Where The Red Fern Grows, Charlotte's Web, Bambi and Up also have death in them. Not sure if you are looking for things along those lines.

Edited by NanceXToo
adding other movies in.

We saw Letters to God the day it opened in the theater because they filmed part of it at Give Kids the World - the place we stayed for my son's Make-A-Wish trip. It's appropriate for children, but not sugar-coated. I was crying five minutes into it because I could identify too much with the mother in the movie.

Can I ask why? Are you trying to avoid them or are you doing a paper on them?

My sister is a paliative (sp) care doctor. She writes a blog (I hear she is sort of famous is her circles). She is doing an article on kids movies with a paliative care theme but she doesn't have kids so she hasn't seen many kids movies. I do have kids so I can't remember anything. Thanks for the help!!

My sister is a paliative (sp) care doctor. She writes a blog (I hear she is sort of famous is her circles). She is doing an article on kids movies with a paliative care theme but she doesn't have kids so she hasn't seen many kids movies. I do have kids so I can't remember anything. Thanks for the help!!

If she wants movies with a palliative care theme, it needs to be more than just having a death or sickness in it. Palliative care is specifically about offering the person comfort during that time of sickness and death. I think of the scene with the dying Beth in Little Women with her family around her. Something like that would be more geared toward comfort.

Or how in the Velveteen Rabbit, the rabbit gives the boy comfort during his bout with scarlett fever.