Menu

What other math program goes well with SM?

This would be for grade 4. Up until now I have always done Horizons because it covers more topics than SM- a few here and there- and gives her the extra practice she needs.

I'd like to drop Horizons next year because it is not teaching her very well (yes, I know *I* am the teacher) and it's not what she needs.

What other options do I have? I'm looking at MEP and MM but not sure which or if there's something else entirely?

ETA: Or should I leave SM well enough alone and do it as a stand alone with (gasp) nothing else?

Edited by plain jane

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm surprised you haven't received more responses! I've been watching because I'm wondering the same thing. We're using Singapore and Miquon right now. So far my short list for supplementing Singapore as we grow out of Miquon includes Hands On Equations, the Key To... series and Life of Fred.

Mostly I'm just bumping you hoping someone else who has done anyone of these combos chimes in. :D

What other options do I have? I'm looking at MEP and MM but not sure which or if there's something else entirely?

ETA: Or should I leave SM well enough alone and do it as a stand alone with (gasp) nothing else?

I think supplementing Singapore with MM would be redundant since they're so similar, but I would highly recommend Life of Fred. Who can resist a math "textbook" that's so funny kids end up taking it to bed and begging to read "one more chapter"???

Jackie

I would supplement Singapore with:

Earlybird--Rod and Staff 1 unit 1

1a/b--Rod and Staff 1

2a/b--Rod and Staff 2

3a/b--Rod and Staff 3

4a/b--Rod and Staff 4

Rod and Staff has a lot of repetitive work that really provides a solid base for math. So I would come in a little behind with the R&S so that the work in it is easy and they get lots of review.

The Singapore is where you teach the math and it will be the more challenging but interesting math.

That's what I do anyway. :001_smile:

I'll just say that I make the Singapore/Horizons combo work for me. I too am not thrilled with the teaching in Horizons, but I consider it a supplement and not our primary program. It is for review, extra practice, and standardized test prep. So I cross out whatever I don't like or topics that they bring out before we have covered them in Singapore. In the 4th grade book, a biggie is long division with 2-digit divisors. We haven't done them in Singapore, so we just don't do those problems in Horizons at this time. I think that the teaching in Singapore is wonderful, so I don't feel like I need another program for the primary math instruction. But I do like having regular review and extra practice and Horizons provides that.

We did SM just by itself. If you do just the workbook, you aren't getting everything out of Singapore that you can get. I used SM Intensive practice and SM Challenging word Problems with the workbooks and it provided a full,well-rounded year. We didn't need to do anything else. I did add in Life of Fred on Fridays just for fun-because both of my boys like the adventures of Fred :-)

Ugh. I can't believe I just erased all I wrote. OK.

What I like about RM2 is that it presents the information in a systematic and very logical (to me) way. It stresses correct mathematical terminology and notation. Here are some notes that I made for the first half of the book:

The next topic we are going to cover is back to the idea of addend + addend = sum and what if one of the addends is expressed as a product?

addend + addend = sum

50 + (9*3) = sum

I also like that it stresses correct mathematical notation. While the bar model of Singapore works very well, my son just prefers to write it out using notation. So we get the best of both worlds by doing both programs.

I will post examples of problems I really like in the next post.

This would be for grade 4. Up until now I have always done Horizons because it covers more topics than SM- a few here and there- and gives her the extra practice she needs.

I'd like to drop Horizons next year because it is not teaching her very well (yes, I know *I* am the teacher) and it's not what she needs.

I make my own using the scope and sequence from world book encyclopedia. Very cost effective and works very well.

Examples of problems:

48:6*5-15

32:8*9+18

70:7:5*9

Make up a word problem based on the following equation:

x=6*7-28

Multiply the difference of the numbers 31 and 22 by 4.

Divide the sum of the numbers 9 and 19 by 7.

24 kg of flour are to be packaged. How much will 1 bag of flour weigh if the flour is put into 3 identical bags? 6 bags? 8 bags? x bags?

Find the value of c : 4 if c takes the value of 40, 8, 32

Strangely I can't open the attached photos

Well, it's nothing stellar, haha! I really like the books but like I said, there are no helps, no instruction really. The instruction amounts to not much more than what I wrote in my notes (there are other sections I didn't write out).

Well, it's nothing stellar, haha! I really like the books but like I said, there are no helps, no instruction really. The instruction amounts to not much more than what I wrote in my notes (there are other sections I didn't write out).

I'm really interested. Say, did you start with 2 or did you use RM 1?

Bill

I'm really interested. Say, did you start with 2 or did you use RM 1?

Bill

I did not use RM1 with the older. I was very tempted to buy it for the younger but we are already doing Miquon and SM and some MEP. I think I will just let these three carry us until 3rd grade where I will again do SM3 and RM2.

I will say that I think I like the RM better than SM. I wonder if I post some sample pages if that would violate copyright?

I did not use RM1 with the older. I was very tempted to buy it for the younger but we are already doing Miquon and SM and some MEP. I think I will just let these three carry us until 3rd grade where I will again do SM3 and RM2.

I will say that I think I like the RM better than SM. I wonder if I post some sample pages if that would violate copyright?

No. Soviet materials are fair-game.

Seriously I think they would love the exposure at Chicago.

Bill

For my daughter last year in we combined Singapore 4 with the Saxon middle levels. I don't recommend doing that because in our case (for her specifically) I had to adapt the Saxon material so much that it seemed pointless and was not a good match. Live and learn. I had very good results mixing Saxon 1-3 with Singapore K-2, however.

For grade 4, with my son I plan to do Singapore SE 4 with the IP4 and CWP4 (which would both be the US Edition). Good supplements with Singapore Level 4 could be MEP 3 or 4 or Math Mammoth 4 (which looks similar to Singapore but more like extra practice.)

I have not seen the RM 1-3 levels, but I really like RM 6. For example, for this school year my daughter did Singapore SE Level 5, IP 5A, and then moved into Russian Math 6 and IP5B and CWP5. Russian Math goes deeper into the concepts than Saxon did, and it has great explanations. She is happier with this year's combination.

RM 3 may also be a good supplement with Singapore 4 based on the positive experience my daughter has had with RM6.

I hope you find what works for her. :)

Well, when I said there were no teacher helps, I meant it. Here is the complete instruction for how to do division with double digit numbers in the RM3 book. - snickerdoodle

Oh good timing totally spaced that, as I meant to show this estimating tech to dd (we are in the midst of double digit long division "fractions n more"). Thanks.:thumbup1:

My husband met a man whose wife was using Russian math books -- in Russian -- with their kids. You have no idea how disappointed I am that I missed that encounter. At least my husband asked if those have translations; alas no. I wonder how they differ from the older / Soviet stuff.

• 1 month later...

I am using RS math with SM IP and CWP. I also love MEP workbooks. I found them challenging enough for my child to do this summer. I haven't used russian math books with her but will be doing it as a supplement for word problems. I will be using Peterson math which is only in Russian. I found it as pdf version so I am looking through it. "Peterson" is considered being more challenging math program in Russia. It doesn't suit everybody because some of the problems are too challenging for adults who are not that good at math.

Moro is considered to be a traditional very solid math program.

I read a lot of negative posts about Peterson math because some assignments were not presented clear enough for pupils to understand on their own. So far I have seen only 1 and 2 grade books and PreK, K books.

There is a computer program for Peterson math but I haven't tried it out.

I am using PreK math with my 3 old son who just loves it and wants to do it every day (10 pages per day). PreK math name " Let's play"

("Igralochka") and K math is " One steps, Two steps". They are a good preparation for 1st grade math by the same author.

I am not advertising for any math program,I just share what I found myself useful. MEP is very close to Russian math that is why I like it so much. My daughter can work independently without me translating every word to her.

I think supplementing Singapore with MM would be redundant since they're so similar

I'm personally using the MM single-topic "blue" workbooks as a supplement to SM precisely because they are based on the same way of teaching math. I think they work well together for someone who is basically happy with Singapore but wants better explanations and more practice on certain topics.

I downloaded MEP Yr 3 and like the looks of it but haven't really used it much.