Menu

May I boast? National Latin Exam award arrives!

My son earned a silver medal (Maxima Cum Laude) in Latin III, missing the gold by one question. (Ouch!) He's excited and I am a proud mother.

In previous years he won Cum Laude awards, so it is wonderful to see how things have gelled as he rounds out his grammar studies. He had correct answers on all of the history questions and on the reading passage. His errors were on the grammar questions. Perhaps this is not surprising for a student who uses Oxford.

Yippee!

Jane

So, what is Oxford like?

Just to review....

What programs did you use? At what grades? What did you use to supplement? What happens with Latin from here?

Combining questions in one post if I may.

Oxford is similar to Cambridge in that it is a reading based program. Students learn grammar through separate exercises, but the emphasis is on being able to read Latin passages from the get go. There is a story line in the three books that forms the foundational material. History and Roman culture are interwoven as the boy Horace is introduced to readers. Later we meet Cicero, Vergil, etc. and are introduced to Horace's poetry.

My son began a gentle introduction to Latin at his Montessori school in 5th grade. I introduced small group of students to Latin via Minimus and additional worksheets that I wrote to supplement the grammar. In 6th, I continued to work with the students using Learning Latin through Mythology and, again, supplementary worksheets to continue grammar studies.

We began homeschooling in 7th, beginning this journey with a month long trip to Britain which included visiting Vindolanda (where Minimus is set), hiking along Hadrian's Wall and seeing many Roman artifacts (like the letter in the British Museum that they show in Minimus in which a soldier writes home asking for more socks!) My son completed Oxford I between 7th and 8th grade. He did Oxford II in 9th and is on track to complete Oxford III and Latin Mythica (Bolchazy) this year (10th).

Next year we are using two Legamus readers from Bolchazy (Ovid and Catullus--we need hand holding with poetry!) and will also work on Cicero using Bolchazy's AP Cicero workbook. Next year's NLE will be Latin IV, Poetry, which will require some work!

What has been so cool about this process is witnessing my son's love of reading Latin at which he is quite proficient. Thanks all for your high fives.

Jane

older two girls is sped up the pace of our Henle studies. They got so bored with Henle, and although the exercises were very helpful, my two never got the grammatical forms completely cemented in their heads. Well---the nouns they did, but those Latin verb conjugations and tenses just about killed them! I think now that I might not have lost them if we had switched earlier to a more reading-based program.

Thanks for the info., Jane!

Jane, Congratulations -- and a question: How do you know what level to take? Did you try the old exams from the website to see which was the best fit? I don't know if my ds should take Level II or Level III next year.

There are syllabi on the NLE's website, but I must confess that the order of grammar covered by Oxford did not coincide completely with the NLE. For Level I and II, there were clearly a number of things that he just had not seen. His curriculum emphasizes reading, which is not the primary emphasis in a grammar based curriculum. This leads me to wonder if the others have an advantage on one part of the test, while he had an advantage on a different part.

My son did Level I with Latin I, Level II with Latin II, etc. For Latin III and IV, you can choose either poetry or prose. This year my son took prose, next year he'll do poetry. I noticed that the Level V exam consists of both prose and poetry.

The other thing is that you are suppose to sign your student up for the level of Latin that they are currently studying. They recognize that students have not yet completed all of the content of that course when the exam is given in March.

What curriculum does your son use?

Jane

What curriculum does your son use?

Jane

He's using Latin in the Christian Trivium, and he is currently a little more than a third of the way through Volume 2. There are four Volumes, so I guess they would correspond with the four levels in the Nat'l Latin Exam. We are now quickening our pace a bit, so he should be somewhere in the middle of Volume III by next spring.

LiCT has a good mix (in my opinion) of grammar and readings. There's an ongoing story every week to read and translate, Bible readings, and lots of sentence translation work.

Thanks for the details. We're looking forward to taking the test next year.

that volume I plus the first five chapters of volume II are the equivalent of Latin I. Then, I also *believe* that after that the jive (so completing volume 2 is the equivalent of completing Latin II, completing volume 3 is the equivalent of Latin III). We are using volume I this year, but my ds is younger. He only took the intro. exam, but we haven't received scores yet! I am jealous! Maybe our mail comes in on the mule train! LOL! At any rate, it seems like I read somewhere that for LitCT, completing volume I and the first 5 chapters of volume II = Latin I. We are going to divide up the Volume II book over two years.

that volume I plus the first five chapters of volume II are the equivalent of Latin I. Then, I also *believe* that after that the jive (so completing volume 2 is the equivalent of completing Latin II, completing volume 3 is the equivalent of Latin III). We are using volume I this year, but my ds is younger. He only took the intro. exam, but we haven't received scores yet! I am jealous! Maybe our mail comes in on the mule train! LOL! At any rate, it seems like I read somewhere that for LitCT, completing volume I and the first 5 chapters of volume II = Latin I. We are going to divide up the Volume II book over two years.

Cynthia,

The U of CA is considering Volumes 1 - 3 as 3 foreign language credits toward enrollment (per LITCT website). Have you read otherwise?

Sidenote, I just bought a used set of Volume 1 and it looks fabulous! We will start in Fall following LC 2.

I'm also curious how kids using LITCT do on the Natl. Latin Exam. We were only into chapter 4 of LC 2 so my kids were not fully prepared for the Intro (green) level. They enjoyed the test and think they did well. We also must be on the mule route.

Do your kids take the online classes? Thanks!