Menu

What do I serve with chili?

I'm making a big pot of chili tomorrow night when dh's parents come over for supper. MIL is one of those folks who always cooks a big meal, with several sides, rolls, etc. And FIL has to have dessert right after supper.

I usually just serve chili with Fritos. :D They probably wouldn't say anything as long as I serve dessert, but what does go with chili? I feel like I should be making more.....

Put the chili in bowls, sprinkle with cheddar, arrange nacho chips around the perimeter of the bowl, add a dolup of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh cut green onion. Add guacacrap if you so desire. ;) Fresh bread goes very nicely with chili, same with sliced cucumber, green salads, quiche and any other southwestern faire: enchiladas, nachos, burritoes, etc. Ole!

:iagree: I always serve cornbread with chili. You can cook them in muffin tins to make for a neater presentation (rather than cutting into squares).

A green salad would be nice, and if you feel like you need another, cole slaw would work very well.

Good luck!

We like Fritos Scoops and Pepper Jack Cheez-Its, but I also serve plain saltines and Ritz or Townhouse for those who prefer them. We like to top our chili with shredded cheese (usually cheddar, but monterey jack is also good), sour cream, and sometimes sliced jalapeños from a jar. Once in awhile, I'll make jalapeño & cheese cornbread to go with it, but not often.

Yep, cornbread and a salad. Some toppings for the chili (green onions, sour cream or Greek-style yogurt, shredded cheese) are nice, if you want to give people the option of personalizing their chili. :)

We do similarly, but put the toppings on the salad, and the salad on the chili, and the chili on the Fritos or tortilla chips. (reverse order, of course).

Crush the chips on the plate, smother in chili or beans, top with cheese, lettuce, tomato, avacado, onions, sour cream, whatever else you dream up. Then, spoon on some salsa.

We call them Haystacks, and they're quite satisfying. :o)

If you want a slightly fancier bread option, you can add finely chopped jalapenos and/or shredded chedar cheese or garlic powder to your cornbread mixture. Don't forget the possibilities of raw vegetables as an optional side also. We like celery, broccoli, cucumbers and carrots.